What`s a Tuner Type 8VSB (ATSC)/QAM/NTSC ??

Silver Member
Username: Pukka

Post Number: 147
well i saw a sharp aquos lc-40c32u at costco for $899, and this tuner puzzles me, as they most of the time say just atsc/ ntsc.

does someone here know the meaning ? , is this unit any good ?

your comments would be apprecciated !!!

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 639
It is a good TV
Price little high it worth $699 USD
Can work with external antenna

Read this post #633
It may help
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/330353.html

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1386
­
"The thing to remember is that there are three types of tuners, excluding those required for satellite, which is a different subject altogether. "NTSC" tuners are used to receive the standard analog over-the-air and analog cable channels we've all been watching for the last fifty years. "ATSC" tuning allows a set to tune to those same frequencies, but when it "sees" a DTV or HDTV signal, it is able to receive, demodulate and decode it. This gets you the local, over-the-air HD signals, but not anything from a cable hook-up. The key there is to look for sets that have "QAM" tuners built-in. That lets the set deal with digital cable signals. Remember that a QAM tuner alone, without a CableCard, will only allow reception of "in the clear" digital cable channels, and there aren't many of those. To receive the "pay" channels or "tiered" premium channels you will need to still resort to the use of an external cable STB unless the set has a CableCard slot."

http://www.resmagonline.com/articles/publish/article_435.shtml

In short, a QAM tuner will enable you to tune in unencrypted HD channels on the cable line alone without a cable box or cable card. On most cable systems this means the local broadcast stations in the area covered by the cable system.
­

Silver Member
Username: Pukka

Post Number: 148
thanks guys, i have some more reading to do, as im trying to decide what lcd to buy, im between the sharp lc-40c32u at costco for $899, or a westinghouse ltv 32w6 hd for $699 at bestbuy.

im doing my final reading before buy, any more comments i would apprecciate

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
Yes John I agree it is important to know which way you want to go to select your tuner.
I personally recommend at this time only HD antenna and get simple HDTV

Pukka the Sharp in my opinion is a lot better. What i meant is to shop around.
I don't buy electronics from costco

Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp and Akai are my best picks

Don't pay more than $800 for that Sharp
Check this website they do have good bargains: ecost.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
ecost has this Akai 32" LCD free shipping

Also it is best place to get wall mounts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts