Oppo Digital DV-981HD??

Username: Beeb18

San Jose, CA United States

Post Number: 1
I'm in need of a new dvd player for my new 50" Panasonic plasma and i'm not sure what to get. Of course it cost me a small fortune so I'm looking for an affordable upconverting DVD player. I've heard some good things about the Oppo dv-981hd but i'm looking for a second opinion. Anyone own one and like/dislike it??

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 156
I have not seen a credible review of the new Oppo player so I can not comment on its performance.

The Panasonic S97 or 77 DVD player are very cost effective and are well regarded for their great performance at your price point.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 52
Both CNET and Audiophile Auditions have recently reviewed this player.
Very good to Great marks for video.
At least average or slightly above average for audio. Good flexibility on formats.
User reviews on CNET are MOSTLY 9's and 10's with a few lower numbers tossed in.

If you are Video oriented, this may be on the short list.
If you are Audio oriented, This may be the Video player with another player for CD's.

Because of budget and space limits, I simply can't afford the 2 player approach. AND since I am at least 80% Video, that pretty much ices it.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 72
981HD has excellent video performance. Does an outstanding upscaling job, noticeably better than Pansonic S97, which is no slouch in this area. Audio is acceptable but I don't use DVD players for critical listening to audio-only sources.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us