HDMI dvd player help needed...

Username: Gvw

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm looking at two HDMI dvd players and wondering what others think would be a better choice. They are close in price, easily under $130.

Sony's DVP-NS75H

Philips DVP5960

Thanks,
Glen

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 152
Neither.

I suggest you visit the following site for a DVD player. Sony and Phillips are not known for their processing prowess.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Great site that should help you make an educated decision.

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 45
You really need something like the Denon 2930CI, otherwise your picture will not be upscaling enough to notice much difference. Plan to blow at least $700 or more.

Players like this can make DVD's look nearly like HD discs.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 159
If you are using DVI, the Oppo would be a good choice with your budget.

If your using HDMI, the Panasonic S97 or 77 are also good price\performance options. One caveat, make sure you can return the Panny if it does not cooperate with your display. When it works, it works very well but it has been none to not play well with others at times.

Hope this helps although the site I linked makes this pretty clear.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 36
Ignore Peter's advice. Westcott is on the money.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 161
Although Pete may have missed the cost guideline, The Denon 2930ci is an awesome DVD player using the highly respected Terenex video processor. The Reon is not the top of the line from Terenex, but for DVD applications, it has more than enough flexibility to put most other solutions to shame. If I had the money, I would buy it with only one hesitation. The new HDX2 for HD DVD material is supposed to use the same processor. Once I see an indepth and favorable review from a site I trust like Secrets of Home Theater, I may have to pull the trigger.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I don't think any DVD player for $130, upscaling or not will produce a picture that justify's replacing a good DVD player that you probably already have. I've always been a believer that you either do it right, or don't bother. (tends to get expensive sometimes, but that just means I've gotta save my pennies for a while longer)

The Oppo at $250 received great reviews for video (near Denon capability), but if you want a SACD player also, I heard the Oppo falls short on the audio side.

With electronics, you usually get what you pay for.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 162
Pete, I tried to help you out but you really should have quit while you were ahead.

Digital is digital and there is no difference in performance between players when using digital connections. 99.9% of the population with home theaters use digital connections for Dolby Digital sound.

Analog home audio is another thread for another section.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Ya I realized after I wrote it, my wording implied SACD was a consideration, but Glen's interest is clearly not for SACD audio.

What I was trying to say (little off topic) is that, in order to justify paying $800, you either really need to love video, or you need to benefit from the SACD and DVD-Audio additions to this player.

Oppo does SACD too, but I have heard their analog audio playback is what you would expect for a $250 player. (I did not mention anything about audio via digital routes.et. Dolby)

I'm sure you already know digital output is not possible for SACD on any of these players, until perhaps later this year when units should include HDMI output's of 1.2 or higher.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 37
Why try to help him out? He put his foot in his mouth. Presumably he can remove it on his own.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us