Please help me out - I'm so Old School

Username: Rgensemer

Rock Hill, SC United States

Post Number: 2
Hi everyone, I've been searching for answers and wound up here. You guys seem to be knowledgeable and full of answers. So, I am planning to jump into the Flat panel world and I plan to buy a 37" - 42" LCD or Plasma whatever the best I can buy. I'd rather have an excellent 37" than a so-so 42". Questions: I currently have a 5:1 set up using an analog Pioneer receiver and a Digital Pioneer DVD player. I have no complaints about the sound. My DVD has both S-Video, which I use now, and digital component out. As far as the DVD part, can I continue using the S-Video or is the RGB better? My cable company will supply an HD cable box, so I can use HDMI from the box to the TV. I guess what I really want to know is, with the exception of the HDMI cable to the converter, can I use my present setup? Is there anything else I need to buy? I plan to stick with a major brand, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp unless one of you has a better suggestion. Many thanks to whoever tries to help me.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 565
S-VHS and RGB component are both analog input ports
HDMI is the only true optical port
If your TV has 1080p it worth spending the $100 on an HDMI cable. Your local cable company won't supply it. When TV broadcasters televize using 1080i you'll get a sharper upconvrting to 1080p via HDMI.

Just make sure you set the wizard for auto switching.

SET THE AUTO wizard (read your manual)

Since broadcasters use all of these you must enable them all or it won't look right.
Most TVs are preseted for TV tuners in case you tune externally:
In receiver/cable box set advanced setup to enable all:
* 480 standard
* 480i
* 480p
* 720i
* 720p
* 1080i
followed by the wizard for auto switching
If one of these not enabled will cause poor quality on LCD/Plasma/or DLP

Wizard will allow your receiver or tuner to detect broadcast aspect ratio/resolution but is up to you to set it for auto switch including auto stretching 4:3 and keeping 16:9 so you don't have to mess with that either.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 234
$100 on an HDMI cable?
29 DOLLARS AT WAL MART FOR PHILLIPS CABLE.

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
Do you know what
I started to see lower prices for older cables
The only advice I can give if your TV set is capable of handling 1080p then it worth buying the newer HDMI just make sure cable specs says 1080p. At the same time check with your cable provider if they carry newer boxes

If you don't have 1080p TV just get the older type it may do just fine.

Username: Tonbo

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 9
$8.16 at mycablemart.com

Plus, they take PayPal

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
These are old HDMI
Why do you think cable companys don't provide it if it is this cheap

You just got duped
« Previous Thread Next Thread »