Archive through September 28, 2006

Username: Crashnash

Post Number: 5
George, athough I agree with TVShopper that this ia a very fine TV and ther may be many out there that have NEVER had a bulb problem---But as you can see by the post in here, there are many that have had bulb problems. The problem is not with the set itself (great picture)--the problem is with the Lamp. And I also disagree with TVShopper's premise that he believes that there was a bad production run of bulbs that JVC had no control over and JVC has addressed the problem. If it were a bad run---why would people be having problems with the the second replace bulb that came 6 months or so after the TV. In my opinion, JVC has not adequately addressed the problem until they issue a spare bulb and warranty that bulb for at least 3,000 hours. It was very interesting that the replacement bulb (not a spare) that JVC sent me only came with a 90 day warranty, however if I had lived in Canada, it would be a one year warranty. And as far a bulb failures reported here, remember, there are stil a large part of the populus that does not use the internet to research problems with product. In addition, the "Lamp Warning System" in this set (the 56 inch DILA) does not function properly. In my case, I did not get a pending Lamp Failure notice on my set before the lamp blew.

Now, for TV Shopper, you indicated you had to have your set exchanged--now that does not strike me as a ringing endorsement. May I ask, what the problem was with your first set and what model it was. I bet is was not a 56 " DILA. If that is the case, you have no experience with the type of set that I am having problems with. Yes JVC did exchange your set. So I don't have to go back a research, what type of JVC set do you have. I bet it is not a 56 inch DILA and I bet it is not even the same type Lamp. But if it is and as you indicated you have had your set for over a year, what will be your feelings if you bulb blows tomorrow, well short of the advertised 3000-6000 hours of service life as provided to me by the JVC Customer Center?

TVShopper: For the record also, do you work or are you in any way affiliated with JVC?

CrashNash

Post Number: 6
To All: Please be advised that I did receive my replacement lamp from JVC on the day they stated. However the warranty for the replacement lamp is only good for 90 days here in the US. That should be clear indicator what JVC thinks of the reliability and durabilty of this $200---as they put it "consumable" item and also a clear indicator that maybe the bulbs we are having problems with are not a "bad batch" as TVShopper has indicated---but simply a lousy product that JVC does not think will go much further then 90 days. So if you want to purchase a TV where you only have an initial warranty of 1 year on a $200 lamp and then only 90 days on any replacement lamp--that is totally up to you. If I had to do it all over again--I would not--for reasons stated in my post above. After 11 Nov 06 I am looking at an "out of pocket" expense of $200 every 6-7 months for a new bulb. Hell, if this is the case, I will have exceeded the original purchase price in bulbs after about five years or so.

CrashNash

Bronze Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 45
Crash,

My first set was a 52Z585. Those first run of those sets did not shield the light engine properly and had light leakage (the green problem). The light engine was replaced with one that had improved shielding. The problem with this light engine is that it came from the factory misaligned (tilted). Rather than try to align it, they replaced it again. This light engine then had the reverse red issue (which is now corrected through software update) many months later. JVC offered (I did not demand it) to replace my set with a new 52G786 with a full one-year warranty since I had had so many problems (three in the course of 1 year).

I don't care if you don't believe the contention that there was a bad run of bulbs and that things have improved. It is true. They actually changed manufacturers of the bulbs because of it. If you would actually go back and read some of the posts instead of just coming out here and shooting your mouth off, you would see that that is the case. There was a rash of bulb failures a number of months back. And JVC was replacing bulbs at a very high rate. During that time, the posts out here were very frequent and many reported that the new bulbs that they recevied were from a different manufacturer (I'm not going to go back but I think the first manufacturer was Toshiba and the new one is Phillips, but I'm not sure). (By the way, if you would check, I've been posting and monitoring out here since mid-2004.)

Your question regarding any relationship with JVC is offensive and vulgar. (By the way, the answer is NO!) I haven't asked whether you have a relationship with some other manufacturer? Just because I disagree with you; have had a good experience with JVC and defend them because they've been loyal to me, you choose to attack me personally! I find that your posts contain a level of venom that is not warranted based on my experience with JVC. So, I have (until now) respectfully, agreed to disagree. Now, if you would like to make this personal, by all means.

I am not going to let someone come out here and post one side of the story when my experience is so diametrically opposed to yours. Kind of makes you wonder why I've been treated so well and you haven't. I would suggest that you've been as nasty with JVC customer service as you have been out here. Gee, if I was in their customer service department and someone was on the phone ranting and raving to me would I be bending over backwards to help them? Or, would I figure they should go call their attorney?

Your threat of legal action is farcical. You will spend more money pursuing this than the cost of ten TVs. And, frankly I don't believe you. In my business you are what we term flatulence (different word that rhymes with art) in a windstorm. Good luck to you. And, as I've mentioned, keep us posted on the legal action. And, not just anecdotal information; prove it. You're beginning to sound unbelievable.

Username: Wasadilafan

Post Number: 10
Back to the thread topic. My TV is now fixed. It turns out it was a bad power assembly unit. It wasn't the bulb which I was mislead to believe due to the warning lights and the troubleshooting guide in the manual. The repair shop stated there was nothing wrong with the bulb - but they replaced it anyway.

So, in the end, my TV was fixed and I received two brand new bulbs all at no charge after the warranty expired. So I have a spare bulb now. I applaud JVC for taking the time to work with me and standing by their products.

I was extremely courteous and professional when I talked with JVC and they were in return the same.

Post Number: 7
TVShopper:
1. As you indicated---your first set was a 52Z585. Therefore, you lack credibility when it comes to the 56 Inch HD56G886 and the lamp that is an intergral part of this model TV. Not a personal attack--just a statement of fact.

2. You posted about me "shooting your mouth off". Sir--that comment by you is offensive and a personal attack on me.

3. Your post today as you indicated, "JVC did replace at a very high rate" bulbs. This statement kind of contridicts your earlier post (Jul 29 09:57)about many out their may not have bulb problems.

3. In regards to my question "regarding any relationship with JVC as offensive and vulgar"--I do not see this as an offensive or vulgar question. I was trying to ascertain your background so I could assess where you were coming from on your responses. You answered NO--thank you. If you consider this question to be offensive or vulgar--please accept my sincere apology.

4. "No"---- I am not associated with any other manufacture. I do not consider that to be a vulgar inquiry. I am simply a disatisfied customer because a JVC product has not lived up to its claim of 3000 to 6000 hours of lamp life and I have nothing but a 90 day warranty left on the replacement lamp.

5. You indicated that I attacked you. Just because I disagree with you-I guess you consider that a personal attack. You sir are the only one that has made a personal attack-with your first with your "shooting your mouth off" comment followed by several others comments. You have made it personal. I repeat--if you feel any of my previous posts were vulgar or a personal attack against you---I sincerely appologize.

6. It seems to me that you are the one that is trying to shut me down. I do not care what you post. However, if I disagree (and I do) I will so state-not a personal attack.

7. You posted about me "Kind of makes you wonder why I've been treated so well and you haven't". Sir-I consider that an attack against me. I do not think I have said anything like that about you.

8. You posted "I would suggest that you've been as nasty with JVC customer service as you have been out here. Gee, if I was in their customer service department and someone was on the phone ranting and raving to me would I be bending over backwards to help them." That sir is a personal attack. I have not posted anything like this about you.

8. TVshopper: you posted "Your threat of legal action is farcical. You will spend more money pursuing this than the cost of ten TVs. And, frankly I don't believe you. In my business you are what we term flatulence (different word that rhymes with art) in a windstorm"---this sir is a personal attack.

Now I have another question for you TVShopper and I hope you do not take it the wrong way--If, as you posted, you never had a bulb problem why would you visit a thread titled "JVC D-ILA Short Bulb Life-report problems here. Again this is not meant to be a personal attack--.

To all---this has been my experience with JVC.

A. I was without a TV for 5 days while awaiting a replacement bulb. The orinial buld only lasted from 11 Nov 05 till 24 Jul 06. I use the set an average of 4-5 hours a day.

B. As stated by the JVC Service Center---JVC Authorized Service Centers do not carry spare lamps. They too must order theirs from JVC. If JVC is as "customer oriented" as TVShopper's experience has led him to believe, why would they not ensure that their authorized service centers carry spare lamps---a known weakness in their 56 DILA sets.

C. Why does JVC only warranty the replacement lamps they mail to you for only 90 Days.

In my opionion, for the above three reasons, JVC is not trying to make it right with their customers who have purchased a "high end" TV--not a $400 to $500 set. Just my opinion.

Crashnash.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Crash,

If you knew ANYTHING about these TVs, you would notice that the 52G and 56G (same with the Z-series as well) have the same manual, parts list, etc. They are one in the same TV just a different physical size. Look at your manual it says "For HD-52G886, HD-52G786, HD-56G886, HD-56G786". But it is I that doesn't have any credibility.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Crash,

By the way, what is the part number of your lamp? It is the TS-CL110UAA, is it not? IT IS THE SAME LAMP AS MY TV!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Kelly,

Glad things worked out for you. A bad power assembly unit, eh? That's one I haven't heard before. Sounds like JVC stepped up to the plate for you.

Post Number: 8
Kelly Feltes: Thanks for your update---Great--

Now JVC has set a presidence in issuing spare bulbs and issuing replacement bulbs outside the 1 year warranty. We can use your experience when requesting or re-requesting a spare bulb. Thanks again for your posting.

CrashNash

Post Number: 9
TVShopper :You are right, I do not keep up with the part number of different JVC TV Sets. That is not a concern of mine--just the one that is in my HD-56G886. I really see no need to educate myself on the other model JVC sets. I bow to your expertise in these matters because you certainly seem to have a lot more expertise in JVC DILA lamps. I can only speak about my specific model.

CrashNash

TVShopper--this is not meant to be a personal attack, just my observation

1. The subject of this thread is"JVC D-ILA VERY SHORT Bulb Life, report problems here".

2. You recently posted that you have "NEVER had a bulb problem".

3. You have posted in here 48 times. This is more post then the normal person has made that has had a bulb problem.

Respecfully

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Crash,

The number of posts are for the entire ecoustics site. I guess that, once again, my expertise trumps yours. I will bet that you're Republican seeing as you are attempting to challenge my RIGHT to post wherever I feel like posting.

P. S. The sarcasm of your "Respectfully" is clearly evident. How clever!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
TV Shopper:

I am sorry that you think my postings are sarcastic. That was not my intent.

And thank you for pointing out my error. It was only approximately 39 posts that you have made in here---not 48. Sorry about that.

As you pointed out, your expertise does trump mine, especially when it comes to JVC producst.

However, please point out where I have challenged your right to post in here. I do not think that is a true statement. Instead, I truely admire the effort you have but forth to defend a company that you believe in---JVC. Truely a herculean effort on your part. Myself, I would be busy watching my JVC TV that especially in your case where you never had a lamp problem, rather then expending time in a thread like this that is dedicated to lamp problems.

All I wanted to do was point out to the current and future posters in here is that TVShopper has posted well over 30 times in a thread that is titled: "JVC D-ILA VERY SHORT Bulb Life, report problems here"---but has never had a bulb problem. TVShoppers postings go back to at least 14 Dec 05.

Further, I would suggest that any poster in here go back and read your threads so they can be the judge of your credibility as "THE PREMIER POSTER" at this thread. In addition, this may also give the posters some information on which to base their opinion of JVC.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
TVShopper: Since when have we been discussing polical party affialtion. Are you indicating that it is your opinion that JVS should only sell to Demoncrats. But since you mentioned it, no, I am not a Republican. I am an Independent. -But this had nothing to do with the lousy bulb that JCV had put in my $2100 TV set.

CrashNash

Username: Panther

Gibsonia, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 9
Crash , Why do you waste your time trying to justify to tvshopper that the JVC TV`s are a peice of junk . I paid 3000.00 for mine and I wish I had my 400.00 flat screen back . He obviously works for JVC or he just enjoys starting arguements . I agree with everything you have said about him and it is very odd that someone who does not have a bulb problem would frequent this site so much . You don`t see many others argueing about what you`ve said in here only tvshopper .Bottom line is JVC tv`s are garbage and not worth investing the high dollar amount for .I do love my tv " WHEN IT IS WORKING OR COSTING ME MONEY "

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 27
Hey, gang. Why don't we just cool it it the invectives?

If anyone wants to talk about the price he paid for the set, let me say that I was at Costco today and they have a new series JVC D-ILA in. It is a 1080 set, 56", with a price of $2199 (with stand). The kicker is that it is a $300 Costco Coupon special. That brings the price to $1899. Valid through tomorrow (30 July). So, hurry on down, boys and girls, so you have a new price point to argue about. So far, I am perfectly happy with my $1800 52" 52G886 model that I bought in March.

Re numbers of postins here, mine have been in the 20s regarding the bulb issue and mine has not failed (yet). So what does that prove?

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
A lot of people have posted in here. Yes JVC has replaced lamps (even outside the warranty period according to some). However, one cannot deny the following facts. For each fact, I have posted what I feel is a reasonable remedy on JVC's part:

1. We, the customer, have absolutely nothing to back us up when our lamps fail after the one-year new set warranty or after the 90-day warranty that comes with the replacement lamp. If JVC wanted to make this right with its customers they should warranty the replacement lamp for at least one year (similar to the Canadian Warranty). The 90-day warranty that comes with your new replacement lamp is indicative of what JVC thinks of the reliability and durability of its current family of lamps. In my case, I knew the lamp would eventually require replacement, however, I was told it should last between 3,000 and 6,000 hours. WRONG, more like 600 hours.

2. JVC Authorized Service Reps do not carry replacement bulbs--a definite indicator that JVC is not concerned when it customers have to be without a TV while waiting for replacement lamps to be mailed out. To make this right, JVC should force feed replacement spare bulbs to its authorized dealers to be used during the 1-year warranty period.

3. JVC will not issue a spare bulb to its customer per Marco Flores, JVC CSR, 29 Jul 06. To make it right with the customer, JVC should issue a spare when they send out the replacement bulb. If the lamps are as good as TVShopper insist they are then JVC should not have any problem with warranty their bulbs for 1 year even in the US. The one year I am recommending in most cases is well short of the 3,000 to 6,000 hours that is being parroted by JVC.

I do not think the above three conditions that I mentioned above are unreasonable----That is if JVC is truly concerned about good customer relations as other posters, specifically TVshopper have claimed. If there are any JVC people lurking in here, I think it would be prudent on JVC's part to address my three recommendations. Also, if JVC would like to call me (they have my telephone number as a result of my recent calls in regards to my blown out lamp) I would be glad to discuss it with them.

Until JVC recognizes the problem and makes it right with its customers (outside the normal 1 year new set warranty and the 90 day replacement bulb warranty, I will do anything I can to bring it about.

SWITCHING SUBJECTS, FOR KELLY FELTES: If you would be so kind to post the telephone and name of the JVC CSR that authorized you two spare bulbs, like you indicated it would certainly be appreciated. Maybe the rest of us could take the same approach and at least rectify one of my conditions. I know others in here would welcome that info. Thanks in advance.

FOR JENNIFER BISHOP--in my opinion, you are right on the mark in regards to your comments about TVshopper. Please be advised that he even sent me an email through "ecoustics" impugning my 24 years of military service to my country-including one year flying helicopters in Viet Nam. I have a copy of his email for the record. I wonder what the Army and Air Force Post Exchange CEOs would think of a company that may have, I say again, may have, an employee on the books that stoops to such a despicable act-if in fact TVshopper is affiliated with JVC. That would also be prudent on JVC's part to post in here that TVShopper is not currently or has never been associated with JVC in any way. I would sure like to have positive evidence that TVshopper is a JVC plant--then I would take action with the Army and Air Force PX to include the email he sent me. However, he has gone on record in here denying any affiliation with JVC-so we will have to take him at his word---FOR NOW. Jennifer, by the way, I am retired therefore I have plenty of time to try and rectify a situation that I think is definitely wrong. Kind of gives me a reason for getting up in the morning. One thing I must disagree with you on---I think the JVC Set is a fine set. It just has a known weakness, "The service life of the lamp". JVC knows this, but refuses to do anything outside the legal warranty to make it right with its customers. Therefore, because of the demonstrated attitude that JVC has taken in my case, I will not buy another JVC product and would encourage my extended family and their extended family and friend to follow the same path.

IMPORTANT: If posters will go back and study the postings in here it is obvious that some individuals post in here under more then one name. Because of this, I would advise caution to anyone that uses this site as a reference in making any determination about the JVC product, either bad or good. In other words "Buyer beware"-this thread in my opinion has been hi-jacked.

Crashnash

Username: Bobka01

Sacramento, CA USA

I think this is my last post in this forum. The exchanges of late are more vitriolic than useful. I shall try to get JVC to extend my manufacturer warranty to balance my 52G886 down time. I still love the picture which, after bulb replacement by JVC, has been stellar. Some of you have much too much time on your hands. So, good luck to you and good bye.

Bronze Member

Crashnash,

I will not give you the name of my technical CSR rep! That rep would never forgive me. You obviously missed my point when I asked you to "let us know what JVC says when you ask for a spare bulb". JVC told you exactly what I thought they would tell you, "NO". Although I do wish they would've told you in a more creative way.

For clarification, I received one spare bulb, not two.

Please stop hijacking this thread. Lets keep the posts to the thread topic.

I made a comment a while back about posting life on new bulbs (post Jan 2006 replacement). Would people please check their hours periodically and post them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Kelly: Let me assure you that I am not trying to highjack this tread. If you think so, I truely apoligize. In my opinion, the only highjacking that could take place in here is for a JVC rep to make posting under assumed names and not identifying himself/herself as a JVC Rep.

However, from reading other numerous post in here, I thought one of the side issues of this thread was to try and help the consummer of JVC Rear Projections Sets resolve issues with JVC. It is obvious from your post above that you do not agree with this premise--but intellegent minds can disagree. I do wish that you would reconsider your decision not to provide the CSR Rep. If you would, maybe some others in here could get a spare bulb issued. It would certainly be nice if JVC would establish the "Spare Lamp" policy with all of its customers.

In regards to your last sentenance, bought the 56" JVC on 11 Nov 06, Lamp blew on 24 Jul 06. I watch TV about 3-4 hours per day. I would estimate about 800-900 hours at the most on the original lamp before it blew.

CrashNash

Bronze Member
Username: Bobsacameno

Post Number: 16
I just had the bulb on my set died - About 15 months after purchase date. I figured I am averaging about 1000hrs. The 1st level agent at JVC insisted they won't replace the bulb. When I informed her about my bulb life being much less than average, she offered to have her "team lead" contact me. We'll see what what happens.

I would think JVC is liable in some ways for stating the 5000-6000 spec do they not? I would expect this spec to be more like the average but even if it's 6 sigma, I think the 1000hrs I'm getting and what others are getting here is much less than the average.

Are there any concrete actions we can take here collectively? I would think the argument is a statistical one and if there is a large enough sample size where the life is 1000hrs or less, we should have some leverage with JVC would we not?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
John, I was lucky (if you can call it that) in the fact that my lamp failed within the "1 Year New Set" warranty period. I purchased the set on 11 Nov 05 and I would say the lamp had about 900 hours or so of service life before it failed--this is well short of the 3,000 to 6,000 life that was stated to me at a JVC Demo of their product. JVC replaced the lamp--no problem here---except it took four days. In addition, if I had called an authorized service technician instead of the JVC CSC, I still would have had to eat the 4 day down time because, JVC authorized service technicians do not carry spare lamps--a known common weakness in these sets.

Please be advised that the new replacement lamp sent to me by JVC only carried a "90 day from date of purchase" warranty. This is a clear indicator of what JVC thinks of its new family of replacement lamps and kind of shots the "Bad Run" in the original set explanation all to hell. Therefore, I got concerned about having to spend $190 or so dollars every 8 months once my "1 Year New Set Warranty" was expired. So I called the JVC CSC back and requested that they issue me a spare lamp at "no cost". This request was answered with a resounding "NO". I went up through a couple of levels of management (at least that it what was indicated to me) and still go a "NO" because JVC is under no legal obligation to issue spare lamps. So after 12 Nov 06, I will be in the same "Lamp Unwarrantied" situation as you.

Please be advised, that a class action law suit was filed against Panasonic for basically the same customer complaint--short life of the lamp. The suit was settled in favor of the customers. The remedies (not exactly per the settlement) were something to the effect that any replacement lamp costs would be reimbursed, that the new set warranty would be extended until Nov 07 for customers that had problems and till May 07 for those who had not registered any problems and if the problems continued, the customer would receive a $1,000 credit toward a new set.

So, in light of JVC's refusal to make this problem right with its customers by

1. Issuing a spare lamp when they send out a replacement lamp.
2. That any replacement lamp come with a "1 Year" warrant (as in Canada)
3. JVC require its authorized service represent ivies to stock spare lamps.

The only recourse is a class action suit similar to the one brought against Panasonic. I hate law suits and this would definitely be bad publicity for JVC--after all they could make it right without having to take them to court to make it right.

I know I would be glad to contribute the cost of 1 Lamp to kick it off. As I said, I hate law suits but I see no other option. We the customer should not let the big corporations get buy with faulty products.

Crashnash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Much has been said about the 90 Day Warranty for the lamps. First, I believe this is the warranty provided by Toshiba (or Philips, now?) and JVC is passing on the original manufacturer's warranty. Nothing unusual or sinister about that. Second, the 90 day warranty on parts is very typical for the electronics industry. Sometimes it is referred to as the EIA Warranty (EIA = Electronic Industries Alliance, previously Electronic Industries of America). I remember when automobiles were warranted for 90 days. That's all. Whatever they choose to do beyond a warranty and its terms are at its discretion. And if they choose to warrant for one year, 12 months, 24 months, that is their choice and might be driven by Marketing. And if they bend the warranty, it is for Good Will reasons. From all what I have read here JVC has been generously applying good will for replacing lamps within the one year period and occasionally bending in the case of Kelly and tvshopper and others.

My thoughts.

John

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
JVC called back and refuse to replace the lamp. In fact, the manager that called back was even more arrogant. I won't go through this arguments here as he is simply defending his position without much merit. The kicker and the most insulting point he made is that even if it was within the 1 yr warranty, they still wouldn't replace the bulb since the warranty for the bulb is only 90-days.

I think JVC has calculated this "bulb replacement program" as too costly and no longer want to take this on. JVC has clearly put the stake in the ground and thrown the ball to the consumer's side. Next move is ours.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Personally speaking, my issue is not with the warranty but the expectation set with the 6,000hr life expectancy of the bulb. If there isn't sufficient data to publish a reliability or a mean-time-between-failure (MTBF) spec, which is what the 6000hr really is, then don't publish it. When you go public with a spec, you have set an expectation with the consumer and the given is that you have to exceed that expectation. This is why all the major airlines pad their their arrival times in order to exceed expectation in "on time arrival". It's a very different marketing campaign and product positioning if they were to add the caveat what the actual bulb usage is. With the best information available to date (i.e. changing suppliers, product recall, etc) it is clear to me that JVC did not include the caveat for a reason.

Much has been said about the 90 Day Warranty for the lamps. First, I believe this is the warranty provided by Toshiba (or Philips, now?) and JVC is passing on the original manufacturer's warranty. Nothing unusual or sinister about that. Second, the 90 day warranty on parts is very typical for the electronics industry. Sometimes it is referred to as the EIA Warranty (EIA = Electronic Industries Alliance, previously Electronic Industries of America). I remember when automobiles were warranted for 90 days. That's all. Whatever they choose to do beyond a warranty and its terms are at its discretion. And if they choose to warrant for one year, 12 months, 24 months, that is their choice and might be driven by Marketing. And if they bend the warranty, it is for Good Will reasons. From all what I have read here JVC has been generously applying good will for replacing lamps within the one year period and occasionally bending in the case of Kelly and tvshopper and others.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
John: Please be advised that I experienced the same arrogance when I called to request a spare lamp from Marco Flores and another person that I cannot remember at the customer JVC-CRC although I was extremely polite in my initial dealings, that is until they indicated that because the bulb was a consumable item, it was not part of the 1 Year Warranty-wrong answer.

In addition, please be advised that I just contacted the same law firm that represented the Panasonic Class in regards to initiating a similar "Class Action" against JVC. I will post in hear what I get. Bottom line, as far as JVC is concerned, all they need to do is get you by the 1 year period--then their customer is SOL.

Also, John, it is my perception (perceptions are not always truisms) that one individual posts in here under several differnt names, just a warning to you.

Crashnash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
John Jensen-read and understand your posting in regards to the 90 day warranty.

However, it does not change the fact that after the 1 year new set warranty or after the 90 day replacement bulb warranty, the customer is SOL if his lamp burns out prematurely. We are faced with an out of pocket expense of around $200 every 6 months or so. I wonder how many of these sets JVC would sell if this was fact was made a common know fact to it potential future purchasers.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I have been warned? About what?

Back to the subject. I had no illusions. Comsumers Reports, contrary to their usual advice about extended warranties ("Don't"), advise getting extended warranties for these new-fangled sets. I bought a four-year GE Services warranty (goes beyond the original one-year warranty). This covers lamp replacement. Also, it has a 'lemon' clause. It cost me all of $200. A lot of money but it buys peace of mind. Warranties are like insurance policies, no-one likes the premiums but people buy insurance. I also bought a spare bulb. My intention is to use it when required for any TV down-time while waiting for the repair service to show up (and then to put it back in the box).

My thoughts again.

John (no alias)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
For John Jensen--the warning was for just plain "John" in regards to his 4:18 posting--not you. Sorry for any mix-up.

In regards to extended warranties--i did not purchase one, because the JVC Representative who was demonstrating the JVC 56" DILA set at the Ft Belvoir Post Exchange in November of 2005 indicated the Lamp would last for 3,000 to 6,000 hours. That claim by the JVC Representative played a large part in my decision not to buy the extended warranty when I purchased my set a few days later.

For all, I have contacted the Mills Firm in San Francisco. I beleive this is the firm that represented Matt M. Aragachi and class v. Panasonic. That case was not decided but instead Panasonic admitting no wrong doindg however offered to settle before going to a decision. The law firm was awarded $250,000 to be paid from Panasonic at no cost to the "Class". The Class received the following remedies: Cost for out of pocket replacements of Lamp, extended warranties to 30 NOv 07 on sets that had problems and 31 May 07 on sets that had no problems and a Multiple Failure Remedy, 3 failures and $1000 certificate toward purchase of new set or replacement.

Maybe for us that are approaching our 1 year drop dead date or for those who have already exceeded that date, we can get some satisfaction through the court system, seeing how JVC will not take any action on their own.

I will keep you posted on what I hear from the Mills Firm.

Crashnash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
To All current and future posters. Please be advised that I was contacted by a Harry Hulman of the Mills Law Firm, San Rarfeael, CA. This is the law firm who sucessfully represented the "Class" against Panasonic in a case that involved lamp performance problems. In addition to the remedies I stated previously, the settlement required Panasonic to pay $250,000 in legal fees at no personal liability to the "Class Members"

However, because I have not yet suffered any moneytary loss at this time, I cannot be a plantiff in a class action against JVC. If I suffer any nometary loss after my 1 Year Warranty Period or experience any more failures during the warranty period (I have only had one lamp failure to date), I will certainly call him back and initiate a law suit in my name and request it be a class action. Mr. Shulman's email is harry@millslawfirm.com The rest of you posters can take what ever action you think is right.

Please be advised that the rumor (from my Son) is Mitsubishi has just announced it is extending the warranty on its sets by an additional year due to bulb failure problems and if you have a lamp burn out, they will issue you a spare with the replacement lamp. JVC should have taken the same approach, then a class action suit would not be necessary. But from my experience, JVC is not customer oriented as Mitsubishi--just get them ignorant consumers out of the 1 year period. I for one will not settle for a TV set that cost $. JVC all I ever wanted was a spare bulb that would be warrantied for a year.

Crashnash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
You were contacted and told that you had NO CASE. True?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
TVShopper: NO NO NO--just the opposite. We, as owners of a product that has been misrepresented by JVC definitely have a case. But because I have not yet suffered any monetary lose for the one lamp failure (at around 900 hours-not the 6,000 hours as stated at the FAQ section of the JVC WEBSITE)and because I have yet to have multiple lamp failures, I cannot act as the plantif in a Class Action. However, a review of the over 400 posts at this thread would indicate that numerous others could act as the plantiff. For everyones information, Mr Shulman's email at the Mills Firm is harry@millslawfirm.com. I hope someone will step up to the plate.

TVshopper, thanks for that inquiry. Hope this email answers your question. I would also like to thank you as you were my inspiration for running down the particulars in regards to a "Class Action". Thanks again.

If there are any JVC Reps lurking in here, you could have prevented this if you had been customer satisfaction oriented as is indicated other manufactures have been. Your customer service center stinks and your representatives, particularly Marco Flores and Carlos Sapata are obnoxious to your customer---at least that was my experience when I requested a spare lamp. "John" posted he experienced the same obnoxiousness when he requested a spare lamp outside the one year warranty period. I wonder how many of these sets JVC would have sold if they had irepresented that the lamps could blow at less then 800 hours at best instead of 6,000 hours.

CrashNash

Crashnash

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Sorry about the numerous signings above. For everyone's info, the "Class" members in the case against Panosonic did not have any personal liabilities for legal costs. Panosonic was responsible for all the legal costs. You can go to the Panosnic thread and read there is a link to the case file. Their case is almost identical to the problems we are having with early lamp burn out with our JVC sets.

Crashnash

Username: Ukwomble

Post Number: 1
Model: HD-ILA 56"
Purchased: October 2005
Manuf.date: June 2005
First bulb blown: July ~28th 2006 (after image dimmed severely for about 1-2 weeks)
Average usage: 3 hours / day.

No power outages, surges, always proper cool down, etc.

I called JVC and got the run around about a specialist needing to call me back. That was Friday last week - I've heard nothing yet.

The bulb is full of broken glass - why is a specialist required?!

I asked what happens when I'm out of warranty and the next bulb lasts less than 1/6 of its rated life, and got the standard response of "design changed, should last longer" and "you're on your own". Oh, and not to forget "depends on the usage of the set" (i.e. must by my fault).

I hope someone starts a class action soon ready for when the replacement blows in 10 months time.

Remedy should be that JVC is liable for replacing any bulb that does not last for at least 2/3 (4000 hr) of it's advertised lifetime. A couple of bulbs and 1 year warranty extension is not enough.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I wonder how many of these sets JVC would have * sold if they had irepresented that the lamps * could blow at less then 800 hours at best instead of 6,000 hours.

To me, the key point is what's expressed above. I understand all that's about the 1 yr warranty and the 90 day warranty. It is the very fact that electronic components and ICs have varying life that makes the testing of these parts a multi-billion dollar industry. I know this industry very well. A marketing program that specifies the bulb life is really 1,000hrs is not viable. Consumers quickly calculate their effective cost - their cost of ownership and realize is completely out of whack.

It's the old marketing adage: They are either stupid or they are lying to you. In either case, the taste left with the consumer is not a good one.

Username: Ukwomble

Post Number: 3
(follow on from above)

Replacement bulb arrived today - turned out there was no need for anyone to call me back.

The replacement looks *identical* to the original in every way - design, markings, etc. I really don't believe they have changed manuf. or design of the bulb as claimed on the cust. support line.

Replaced bulb, TV is working + bright again.

Went to service menu D70-71 to look for lamp hours - both show 00!!

Do they automatically reset when the bulb is changed? Or does a general RESET (in the main menu - not service menu) clear lamp hours timer as well??

I didn't select clear lamp hours option, but did do the general reset when trying to figure out whey the picture was so dim just before the lamp blew.

Username: Dalowe

I own the 56G787 set and have done some research into this issue. A TV technician strongly recommended using a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with projection sets. The reason was that if the set looses AC power while on, the bulb will severely overheat from the lack of the normal cool down with the internal fan. The fan can't continue to run because of the loss of power, thus bulb life is dramatically shortened. I have a 500 watt APC UPS that the set is plugged into and so far in only two weeks, it has come on twice during thunderstorms (power outages.) I think that this is the reason for the short bulb life: power outages. This bulb is 110 Watts in the space of maybe a 1/4". That is a lot of power in that small of an area. The bulb is made this small for optical design reasons (I'm an engineer who's worked with optoelectronics.) When the bulb is on and it looses its cooling fan (such as a power failure), the temperature will rise well above the point where damage starts to occur. Just one interrupted cool down and the bulb can be permanently damaged. It may continue to run for another 500 hours or it may pop in the next hour.

When the UPS kicks on, I grab the remote and turn the set off, and then it goes through its normal 90 second cool down. I'm expecting to get close to 5000 hours out of my bulb.

The owners manual says that the set must be plugged into continuous AC power, I guess not only do they mean a non-switched outlet, but a battery backed outlet as well. I can imagine JVC arriving at the 5000 hour figure in a controlled lab setting with continuous power, not the real world of brownouts, lightening storms and customers that ignore the manual and plug the set into a switched outlet on the back of their cable box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
David--first of all, I totally agree with your advice. Great.

However, if TV Technicians strongly recommend using UPSs, then why doesn't JVC recommend it and so state it in the owner's manual so there will be no mis-interpretation? If fact, just the opposite. The owner's manual states something to the effect (I do not have my handy at the time)--do not plug your set into any device. One could construe a UPS to be a device--and then you may have a voided warranty. I know this may be a "mouse turd" however, my recent dealings with JVC, would indicate they are more concerned over the fine print they are in true customer satisfaction. As far as the owner's manual stating a "continuous AC power" would it have not been prudent on JVC's part (according to the technician you spoke with) to just insert right after that, something to the effect that "Using a Uninterruptible Power Supply commonly referred to as a UPS will ensure the get the longest life out of the Lamp."

David, as I previously indicated, I totally agree with your advice and really think that JVC has missed the boat by not specifically stating in the Owner's manual that using a UPS is a good idea.

In my particular case, I had no power interruptions while my set was on. Just curious, after reading the various posts in here, why you are expecting to get close to 5,000 hours on your lamp? Especially, when JVC has gone on record and indicated that they had at least one bad run on lamps and early burn out of this bad batch had nothing to do with power surges, or power outages while the set was on. What are you basing your 5,000 hour expectation on? Hopefully, not the statement in the of 6,000 hour average that is posted on the JVC Web site. In my opinion, JVC is intentionally mis- representing its product. They are wrong about this in my book and as backed up by other posts in here that indicate early lamp failure--with not power surges and electrical interruptions. Please be advised, that the replacement lamps that JVC is issuing under warranty are only warrantied for 90 days here in the US. But the same lamp is warrantied for 1 year in Canada. What give's here.

CrashNash

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 39
I did not want to post again but there goes. I had bought the JVC tv and after only one week i was watching tv and heard a slight pop. The bulb had gone out. I was not about to fool with a tv only one week old so I took it back and got another one, same kind. This one worked a total of two weeks and just quit. That was the end of it for me. For anyone out there reading this I had talked to a tech that I know and trust about bulbs and tgis is what he told me. he may be wrong but here it is. If you turn you television off you should not restart it for 6-8 hours so the bulb has a chance to totally cool down ( which I did ) and the bulb would probably last longer if the television was never turned off. This is his opinion and he thinks the bulb gets weaker every time it is fired up because it gets that shot of electricity to start it up he told me most of the time a light bulb blows out in your house is when you turn the light on and hear the pop. If a television needs a UPS the television manufactureers should supply it with the set even if it cost a little more. It should not be the consumers liability to read between the lines and try to put a band aid on a problem. Just to keep everybody straight, the tech was talking in genenral terms and his comments would pertain to any set that used a lamp, not just JVC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks Bob--that is sorta what was passed on to me. That is---lamp life is dependent on:

1. Cooling down properly.
2. Not turning set back on immediately after turning it off.
3. Proper ventelation of the back so the fan can draw sufficient air for cooling.
4. Number of times the set is immediately shut down because of power failure--sorta the same as number one.

However, as you indicated, JVC did not issue a UPS with the set and no where in the owner's manual does it state to use a UPS. In my particular case, lack of cool down time was not a determinant to the short Lamp Life--it was just a lousy lamp.

My plan of action is--If and I say agin if my current replacement lamp fails within 3,000 hours (I will be out of my 1 year New Set Warranty at that time)is to initaiate a class action suit against JVC through the Mills Law Firm (see my entry above). That is, unless someone beats me to it--. The basis of the suit will be that JVC mis represented their Set by stating the average life of the bulf is 6,000. This claim can be found at the JVC Web Site, under FAQ under TVs. It was also a claim made to me by an official JVC representative at a demonstration of the JVC set a Ft Belvoir, VA in Nov 05. For anybody thinking about a class action suit, please be advised that the Mills Firm successfully defended the Panasonic owners and the legal costs were the responsiblity of Panasonic-not the class--see my previous post in here.

CrashNash

CrashNash
However,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
After being given the "run around" and told quite explictly that the replacement bulb would come out of my own expense, one came in the mail last night.

Is this a case of "squeeky wheel gets all the attention". I had escalated this and spent a lot of energy and effort and despite being told "No", they sent it anyways. The set in question is JVC #1, the first one I purchased. What about set #2 that's sitting in my bedroom? What happens when the same thing happens to that one? What about all the people who didn't make the effort and didn't want to bother with it. If JVC really believe they are in the right here, all the way from corporate to their customer service agent, why flinch??

The more this thing unfolds, the more I am really disillusioned with not simply the TV, but the entire brand.

BTW, to the posts around the UPS, both of my JVCs go through UPSs on the way to the outlet in the wall

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
John--I totally agree with you in regards to your disillusionment with the JVC Corp. Previously, I had purchased numerous JVC products. However, based on my recent experiences and outcomes with the JVC's Customer Service Center, specifically Marco Flores and Carlos Zapata, I will never buy another JVC Product. I have encouraged my family and extended family and friends to do the same. JVC has misrepresented the service live of their LAMPS. It's that simple. And in my opinion, JVC is not doing anything outside their "normal warranty requirements" to make this right with their customers. Guys/Gals-this ain't no $400 TV. For many that visit this site, this is a major investment. Now, once we are out of the 1 year warranty period, we have to sit and watch this set and wonder when we will be out of our pocket another $180 or so for a LAMP that has failed before the expectations that we expect. This is kinda of "PAY TV" if you think about it. We cannot let JVC get by with this travesty.

I hope JVC visits in this site. Hopefully, they will see what their failed policy of not issuing a spare lamp with a better then the current "90 Day Warranty" is going to cost them in the long run. Come on JVC--get with the "good customer relations" program that Toshiba (I indicated Mitsubishi before--my bad) has instituted. I fully expect a "class action" suite to develop from this lack of customer concern-similar to the one that the customers won against Panasonic. And people wonder why there are so many law suites in this country. One reason is because of the same Corporate attitude that JVC has demonstrated--"get the stupid customer thru the 1 year and to hell with them". I know some in here have indicated that JVC has worked with them outside the one-year warranty period. But we the consumer have nothing to hold JVC's feet to the fire, except JVC good will. If you guys want to hang your hat on that--good luck.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
The following is a customer notice from Toshiba. In my opinion, JVC should take a similar approach to customer satisfaction when they mis-represent one of their products--JVC WEBSITE- Lamp should last on the average of 6,00 hours.

"To ensure the satisfaction of our customers and to maintain the integrity and quality of our products, Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. is issuing an important product update.
Toshiba is committed to customer service and to continuously improving the quality of its products. It has come to our attention that the lamp life of some lamps in a limited number of 2005 DLP television models and serial
number ranges may be less than our expectation. As part of our ongoing commitment to customer service, Toshiba is extending the warranty on the
originally-installed lamp in those particular 2005 DLP television models and serial number ranges for one additional year (for a total warranty period of two years for the originally-installed lamp) to enable customers
with those televisions to obtain a new and improved lamp free of charge if
the originally-installed lamp fails. If you own one of the DLP television
models listed below, please enter your serial number in the box below to
determine if your particular DLP television qualifies for this extended
warranty. The serial number can be located on the back panel of the
television. Be assured that Toshiba DLP televisions are of the highest
quality and this update regards a limited issue."

JVC-take note of how Toshiba treats its customers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Crashnash,

Does this Toshiba notice you speak of actually make you feel better? That's the absolute cheapest solution that a company could do to make educated customers happy! This approach doesn't help you or me in the slightest, or really anyone else in this thread (my first bulb popped in the first year and so did yours). In fact, the only good thing about this statement is the fact Toshiba admitted to having "some" bad lamps. They are in no way offering to fix all the "bad" bulbs. Toshiba owners had better hope their original bulb doesn't last 2+ years.

JVC please don't take note of this approach! Please one up it by applying a 2nd year free warranty for the entire set - not just the "original" bulb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well Kelly--NO---I can't say the Toshiba notice does not make me feel better because I own a te JVC set not a Toshiba set. At least Toshiba has taken a step in the right direction. This step was outside the original 1 year new set warranty. As you indicated, it may be the cheapest solution, ot the lamp problem. But is a hell of a lot better to JVC's "NO SOLUTION". After all, that is what this thread is about--lamp life problems--not the entire set as you recommend. Bottom line, as per the written guarantees---Toshiba will replace the lamp in your set for up to two years from purchase date. Their customers have no "out of pocket" expense for lamp replacement for up to two years-that is if you are a Toshiba owner. In addition, any replacement lamps that Toshiba sends out is warranted for 180 days even if the 180 days takes you past the 2 year new set warranty date. However, if you are an unfortunate JVC owner, JVC only warranties the lamp for 1 year per the new set warranty and any replacement lamp JVC sends you is only warranted for 90 days in the US even though the same exact lamp, JVC warranties for one year in Canada. As I indicated Kelly--In this tread, I am only interested in achieving something close to the 6,000 hour on the average life expectancy that JVC has indicated on their web site and at their demonstrations. Although, I would like JVC to add a year warranty on the entire set (as you indicated) that was not one of my expectations when I bought the set--however, getting around 6,000 hours out of the lamp was an expectation, because of claims made by JVC.

Kelly--if you have other problems with your set other then the lamp problems for which this thread was started, I would highly recommend you start another thread with those problems if you feel that strongly about JVC applying a 2nd year free warranty for the entire set and work toward that goal.

Crashnash

Username: Busdabluz

Hello,
Newbee here...Wish I had found this site before making my very expensive impulse buy. I purchased the biggest and baddest TV (61" HDz886..according to sales assoc. LOL!) and expected it to last longer than a year. Well, just 5 months in and not even 1000hrs of use and the bulb shattered. What a joke! Now I need to wait a week for replacement bulb. Off to the sports bar I go for the Villaria boxing match. I'm going to return this tv and state it's a lemon since it came no where near the life expectancy. I'd hate to go thro0ugh this every 5 months. What ever happen to TVs lasting 10 or more years? LOL! Wish me luck with the return. After reading 10 or more similar posts, I'm convinced that JVC has poor quality big screen tv's. Over $3000.00 and I got a peace of $%*t......
Thanks,
BDB

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I have my own story to tell about a bulb failure in my 52G886. Well, not a total failure but an un-watchable picture. The set was turned on several times last Thursday and became very dim on the third turn-on. And there was a strong color-shift towards green. You can see the same color effect when you first turn on the set and the lamp is just coming on. First very dim and green, then better, then after 5 (?) seconds a perfect pucture. But it was unwatchable. I turned it off, waited about 1/2 hour and removed the bulb. I put in my spare and turned it on. Perfect. So, I knew it is the bulb. I shut it off, again waited a 1/2 hour and took out the new one and made a visual comparison between the old and new bulb. The wire at the tip going towards the reflector (and the insulator located there) was discolored a bit and at the base there was a greyish blob of something. The glass (quartz) looked about the same. In any case, the spare went back in and I viewed a DVD movie.

Friday I called JVC's toll-free number and had a screener take down a lot of information from me and said a "TV specialist" would call back either that day or Monday (because a weekend was coming up). I did not hear from anyone on Friday. Today my wife said someone called today (while I was out) and told her they are shipping a new bulb to me and to please return the old one to them in the return box. No credit card business at all. Let's see what happens when I receive the bulb. I will carefully examine it first to see if there is anything 'different' about it and put it in the set (and the spare goes back in its box).

Here are the particulars. I purchased the set in March of this year. It was an out-of-box special which I was willing to try satisfaction-guaranteed. After a week I said to myself that there is nothing wrong with it so it is a keeper. I got a sweet discounted price for it. The salesman also gave me a nicely discounted price on the 4-year GE Service extended warranty (bulbs included).

According to the service menu there was 1076 hours of operatiion on the bulb (I reset the timer when I first got it). Therefore, I don't know the true lamp usage.

I have no complaints yet.

John

Username: Poi_pounder

My story sounds like many of these but due to location will have a longer time getting solved.

Bought my set from Sears, 90 minutes from where I live and no Cicut City or other big boxes on my island. Purchased in May 06 (built in August 05)and given a 90 day satidfaction gaurantee. On day 95 lamp blew. Called Sears, they will send a technician out to my house (JVC requires this before shipping extra bulb)in 9 days. He will intern order part and reschedule once part arrives, most probably the following week. I am looking at close to a month of downtime to fix a noted problem with the set. Sears will not take the set back as it is 95 days after purchase. Bulb is well under 1,000 of use.

Username: George5d

Steve, I read this forum just because I almost picked up the JVC 61" model, Anyway this may be a bit off topic but I had a table saw that I payed good money for at the time $399 bucks that broke down twice in one year * same part a flex drive* I went back to the owner of the sears store in my town, told him I was not happy at the tune of 58.99 twice for a part that would not keep working. The older table saws used regular belts and about 8.00 bucks.. I said I was not 100% happy he told me to pick out any table saw I wanted in the catalog if that would make me happy.. I got the best one they had 599. It was on him! Not a issue with it now for almost 10 years.. Sears policy is you should be 100% happy... No time line.. Go back to Sears! George

Steve I forgot. The point is this was after I had and used the Saw 2 12 years!!!George

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Steve, try calling JVC's toll-free number (the way I did, see my post of yesterday). You are in the one year warranty. You'll get a bulb much quicker this way. Replacing the bulb is easy.

John

Username: Ebric

Just got off the phone with Customer Sup. waiting for a call back that should have the bulb headed out to me.

HD-61z886 Installed 10/22/05 under 600hrs on the bulb. The TV is in a home theater, dedicated circuit to the TV and cable box, Audio on its own dedicated circuit. All surge suppressed. The room has its own thermostat/zone for heating and cooling and the TV is on a stand.

Last Sun I turned on the TV for Deadwood and the picture was dim. I went to settings and attempted to adjust the brightness, up or down, the brightness never changed. So Monday I went on line and sent in a support inquiry. Friday came and there was still no reply, and the picture was still dim. Sunday I try to turn the TV on and I get the blinking lights.

Now I have had good luck with JVC products, but how can a company provide an online access to customer support that takes over a week to get a reply?

I hope I get the bulb and have better luck with it this time around.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
jule--it is only right that JVC cover the replacement lamp at "no cost" because you are still under your new set 1 year warranty.

However, the problem that all of us that are owners of JVC RP TVs is when we are out of the one year period, we face an out-of-pocket expense for a replacement lamp of around $190 dollars every 700 hours or so of use. I don't know about you, but this is not what I signed up for when I purchased this $2,300 TV Set. JVC had indicated that we should get on the average of 6,000 hours on the lamp---NO WAY. IMHO-JVC has mis represented the Lamp Life expectancy and should do something to make it right with their customers

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Julie, I've had bad experiences with on-line inquiries. I think they check them every once in a while. And I'm not talking about JVC, I meant other companies, other times. It's best to talk with a real person which I did last Friday with JVC and apparently there was follow-up the next day (Saturday). I'll report here what was the turn-around time in getting my lamp.

John

Post Number: 2
UPDATE: Calling the unit a peace of $#%^ was wrong and out of anger. Angry because the weekend was coming up and lots of sports including preseason football, so I hope this justifies my rudness towards the unit. Well, good news is that it was only down 4 days including the weekend. Bulb died on Thursday 10th and arrived today. JVC has the best and easiest customer support I've ever experienced. Today the bulb arrived and the TV is up and running like new again. I will be keeping my JVC, because I was assured that the new bulb is an upgraded bulb that will last the life expectancy of 6000+ hrs. So, A+ for customer support and a grade to come for the JVC 61" monster.
Thanks,
DVAL

Gold Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1026
As one of the longest owning JVC members I thought I'd chime in with my real World experience with lamps.

I've had my JVC HD52z585 for over 2 years and I'm currently on my 3rd lamp. My set in on an average of 40 hours a weeks (5 hours a day during the week, and about 15 hours over the weekend.)
The first lamp:
TS-CL110 lasted 6 months and roughly 1,000 hours.
The 2nd lamp:
TS-CL110u. Lasted 16 months and roughly 3400 hours.
The 3rd lamp:
TS-CL110uAA
It is currently running strong.

JVC DOES NOT manufacture these lamps. They are made by only a couple companies (Toshiba, Slyvania and a few others) and JVC at at the mercy of these vendors. The technology is improving, but it stil have room to grow.

Even though I am on my 3rd lamp, everytime a new one goes in I get a picture as stunning as the day I brought the set home. I love my JVC and I'm willing to spend $190 a year (after my lamp warranty is up) to get such an excellent picture. The lamps seem to be getting better, and this is a problem with ALL rear projection sets currently on the market that use the Mercury lamps.

The JVC HD61z575 at my work in 18 months old, is used daily (2-3 hours 5 days a week) for video conference meetings and it still on the original lamp. Sometimes they do last. I just wish it was more common!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
DVAL--I got a question for you. Why do you think the most recent assurance by the JVC CSR that the new bulb is an upgraded bulb that will last the life expectancy of 6000+ hrs is any better then the initial assurance that JVC provided on the originally installed bulb in your new set, i.e. "This lamp should last on the average 6,000 hours". Please go back and read the numerous posts in this thread that indicates some owners of these JVC sets are on their 2d and 3d lamp. I would highly recommend not getting into too much of a comfort zone with this replacement lamp and budgeting $190 or so every 700 hours of viewing time for a new lamp. Then you won't be disappointed when this replacement lamp blows at 700 hours or so. Also, you may want to invest in a spare lamp so you can have one ready next time. After all, sooner or later, once you are outside the one year warranty, you will have to replace a blown lamp on your dime.

JVC to date, has not been willing to take any formal steps outside the one year new set warranty to make it right with their customers if the lamps (either originally installed or replacement) do not go 6,000 hours that the customer expects and posted on the JVC Web Site. All you got right now is JVC's assurance, the same assurance that they gave you when you originally purchased the set. Best of luck-especially after your 1 year warranty runs out.

CrashNash

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 474
Hey everyone,

Haven't been around in a while... GLAD you guys (and gals) are posting DETAILED info like I requested OVER and OVER again in the first part of this thread.

Without detailed info we will never be able to get JVC to stand up to the rated time... Or get a lawsuit going if needed.

Glad to see some new posters have "taken" up the torch... Roger Nash for example making posts that reflect my feelings on this issue.

One thing you guys need to keep in mind, besides the lamps allot of people suffered from light engine replacements... $1,500+

Username: Uswmsl01

All, here is my JVC experience. I own a JVC 52Z575 with a prod date of 12/04. I purchased the TV from Crutchfield in March 05'. I would estimate about 3000 hours of usage. I still haven't figured out how to get the exact hours when I'm in the service menu. The TV gets turned on about 3-4 times a day with heavier usage during football season. Anyway, I have never had one problem with the TV. Maybe I'm lucky, but it's worked perfect since day one, even with us losing power 3 months ago during a storm and the bulb didn't get a chance to cool down. I was not a happy camper that night. I promptly purchased an APC battery backup the next day. Naturally, every time I turned on the TV thereafter I was waiting for the bulb to blow, but somehow it's still going. As most of you already know the picture is fantastic. Many of my friends also have different brands of HDTV's and all have admitted the JVC picture is one of the best they have seen. I'm very happy with my purchase and I basically wanted to share a good story. When my bulb finally blows I'll post the approximate hours. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Mike-glad to see that you are doing good with your JVC. It sure would have been nice if JVC would have recommended a UPS--but they do not. I agree, a UPS is probably a good insurance policy with this type of set and the requirement to cool down the Lamp during the shut down phase.

Wouldn't you think that JVC with all its experience with this set would have recommended this in the owner's manual. I know the manual states to plug into a constant power source--but the manual also goes on to state "do not plug the set into a device". Now I know what they mean--but another customer may not--so why leave it open to interpretation.

CrashNash
CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I don't know why anyone wouldn't use a UPS for something that needs a proper shutdown. When I researched this TV and other rear projection TVs, all of the users and posters out here suggested that a UPS be used. Do you use a UPS for your computer? Then why wouldn't you for your rear projection TV? Do the other manufacturers suggest that you use a UPS in their manuals? NO. Do they, as you suggested JVC do Crash, include them in the box? NO. It is just common sense.

Bronze Member
Username: Tsduke

Post Number: 25
tvshopper,
Saying it's just common sense isn't true. There are people that just aren't tech savvy buying this new tv technology that would never think to add a UPS.

Take my mother for example. If not for me she would have never thought one to be needed. There are people that don't know what cable goes where buying these things.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
TV Shopper, glad to see by your most recent post that you are not bringing political affiation or questioning ones military service to his country into your discussion. However, you did try to put a "SPIN" on my recent. Please be advised, I do not believe JVC should include UPS' in the box. All I stated is that they did not include one with their set. Instead, I said that JVC should include a recommendation in the owner's manual as it is on most computer owner's manual. At least on my Dell it does-on using an UPS.

Have a great day now with your functioning JVC Set.

CrashNash

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
ToddD,

You make a good point about non-tech-savvy people. I just know from my experience (i.e. edcuating myself prior to purchase) that everyone I "spoke" to out here in cyberworld told me it was a must. As you point out though not everyone would do that kind of research.

Crash,

Thank you once again for the personal attacks. I would expect nothing less from you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
twshopper--could you please indicate the "personal attack" I reread my post and do not see any personal attacks. Only facts. Now if you want to talk about personal attacks I will gladly post your email you sent to me on this site.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
ToddD--excellent point--that is why JVC should insert a recommendation into their Owner's Manual about using a UPS--just for are Moms and Dads who did not grow up in the "Computer Age". Some people take it for granted that just because you own a Big Screen, Rear Projection TV that you are into computers. Not so, my Dad is 83, he has two of these large TVs and has never turned on a computer or typed on a computer keyboard. Most people rely on Owner's Guides as the source for how to operate a particular system or electronics devise they may have purchased. If these Lamps are so susceptible to early burn out because of immediate power loss-dammit-JVC print this in your owner's manual and include recommendations on how to preclude the problem---i.e. UPS. But again, just an example how JVC has failed to meet the needs and expectations of its customers.

Just my opinion.

CrashNash

CrashNash

Crash,
You're right! Why should I believe them? Well, after reading other's posts and taking your advise, I mustard up the courage to load my monster onto the truck and return it for a full refund. For now, I'm going to stay away from the "Fad" tv sets and go with the old tube style tv's. I can't see myself spending $150 + s/h for a bulb every 5 months. So, back to the good old, "reliable" tube television for me. I think JVC should at least lower their prices on the replacment bulb, say from $200 to $25.00. This would keep me as a customer, but seeing how they're aware of the problem and continue to get get customers to empty their wallets, well, that is unexcusable and they've lost my respect and therefor, I will no longer support JVC until they do something about this problem. What pisses me off is that they'll get you on the high dollar tv set and then the high dollar service fees after the one year is up. I used the "lemon law" and printed out a few of these messages as a way to get my full refund and the manager agreed, so very cool and thank you!
Best Regards,
DVAL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
DVAL--you hit the nail right on the head. A lot of posters in here are tickled pink when they get their replacement bulb from JVC even if they are without a $2400-$3000 TV for several days. The TV is back working better then ever-so they are elated. What they fail to realize is that after one year--and the "new set" warranty is terminated----they are own their own-JVC won't know who they are. As it stands right now, they (including myself) will have to spend $190 or so on a new lamp every 6-7 months. I did not sign up for this when I bought this JVC Set. I think you did the right thing. Hopefully, one of these manufactures will solve this early Lamp failure problem and these sets will progress more towards the reliability and durability levels that we have come to expect from the old reliable picture tube sets.

CrashNash.

CrashNash

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
OK, now to pick up my story from last Saturday. The lamp arrived today. I removed my spare lamp and put in the new one. Everything worked as expected. The spare goes back into its box.

I did a visual check looking for differences between the new and the spare (and the dud). There is nothing obvious (except for my original observations about the dud). If there is a silver bullet solution to the lamp problem, it might be related to manufacturing/processing of the bulb itself. I noted that it is identified as manufactured in Mexico with Japanese components. So, JVC in Mexico must fit the bulb into the lamp housing.

The paperwork identifies the lamp as TS-CL110UAA (but my spare purchased in March was also identified the same). The new lamp's S/N is 29372108. My March spare is 07262930. There is no S/N on the dud. I suspect the first 2 or 3 digits is a lot code or something like that. I'm guessing that my March lamp date is the 7th week of 2006 and my new lamp date is the 29th week of 2006.

The original died at 1076 hours (extremely dim, but not 'blown').

The dud is now in the JVC box for the return with the Fed-Ex pre-paid shipping label. Interestingly, it is addressed to JVC Customer Care Center, HDILA Lamp Return in Texas. No money has been exchanged.

Let's hope that these problems go away.

John

Username: Hilburn

Hello Everyone,
Here's my story, and perhaps you can share you're toughts when I'm done. On May 12-06, after some positive research, I purchased a JVC HD56FH96 56" LCOS rear projection TV http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027610&pathId=125&page=1 from Video Only. I must say first, that once It was set up, and connected to a hdmi digital cable box, I was in AWE of the HD picture. I found myself all but avoiding "regular" cable , instead choosing to watch anything that was offered in HD just beacuse the image was so magnificent. Then, on the 7th of August, I turned the set on to find that a third of the left side, vertically, was covered with a brownish haze. Thanksfully, I had opted in for the extended warranty, and quickly called Video Only. Because of a previous bad experience, I was not too surprised to get almost no help other than the old pass-the-buck run-around. They did tell me however, that had I kept the box that my 57" tv had come in, I could bring it back right then and there and swich it for a new one. *Note to box makers- Maybe you could start producing dual functioning shipping cartons; Tv Box/Coffee Table, or Refridgerator Box/Caot Closet, so that when my three thousand plus dollar investent breaks, the fix won't revolve around a twenty dollar piece of CARDBOARD...Just a thought..
So I was directed to a somewhat local JVC certified repair shop, who it turns out only schedules appointments on Mondays. Luckily it was a monday, so they came out two days later, looked at it for about fifteen minutes, played with the menu and checked out the bulb. They finally decided it was the optical engine, and that it would take a couple of days to get one to their shop. Optical engine? During this time the spot had moved from the side of the set to the bottom center half, and the whole picture had dimmed. Friday came and went with no word. Monday morning we called and were told that it would take jvc from three to five days to get the part to them, and then they would call on Monday the 28th to schedule an appointment to come install the optical engine. I ship for a living and can get something from Tacom washington to New York in two days, even sooner if the buyer is willing to pay for it, so I told them that their plan was unacceptable. I was told that they would get the part and come out that Wed to fix my set.
Well, it's Wed, and the service guys just left....with my tv! "The part is expected in today, and we'll need a few days to fine tune it, then we'll call you on monday to schedule a drop off".
I'm beyon fed up..Is there a lemon law for tv's? My set is less than five months old. This has me beyond angry.
Thanks for lending your ear. Any input is apreciated.
~Jim~

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Jim-every state has different Lemon Laws. Recommend you GOOGLE to determine the Lemon Law in your state. I think in some states you need to have two similar malfunctions to qualify as a lemon--again depending on state.

Best of luck with your future dealings with JVC. My experience was a night mare when it came to requesting a spare lamp. My first lamp blew after 700 hours. Yes JVC did send me a replacement--it took four days--however, replacement was only warrantied for 90 days--however, the same lamp in Canada is warrantied for 1 yr. JVC would not issue me a spare. So right now, I am looking at an out of pocket expense of $190 every 7 months or so to replace blown lamps. Yes JVC will live up to the 1 year warranty requirements--however will not live up to the representation/claim they make on their product. JVC website reflects that the lamp should last on the average 6,000 hours---ain't no way. The JVC staff that I delt with in regards to my request for a spare lamp were the most rudest and unprofessional company representatives I have ever dealt with.

One thing, I think if you review your new set warranty, you can request that all repair work be done at your home.

CrashNash

s a follow up to my blown bulb.

2 days went by and no call confirming that the bulb was shipping. The next day I call JVC again...ask the very nice polite woman to check if my bulb had shipped/would ship. She informs me that it showed the request was pending supervisory approval.

I ask if we can take care of that now while I am on the phone. She asks if its ok to put me on hold for a moment so she can see. After about 2min she comes back and apologized that her supervisor is not authorized to approve this, the (I think I am remembering this correctly) Warranty Service Supervisor is the only one that can do this.

So I ask if she can transfer me to this Warranty Service Supervisor. She again apologized telling me not only can she not transfer anyone out of her departmental phone pool but she has no idea who the Warranty Service Supervisor is. So now I ask her if I can speak to her supervisor. Her reply is "Ummm well I think so" she sounds nervous so I chime in or conference him (turned out to be a her) in with us.

She transfers me.

The first thing I tell her is how polite and helpful the first woman was. I then restate my issue, and ask her for direct contact information for Warranty Service Supervisor. She tells me she is not able to give out that information. I ask why, if this is the only person that can help me why do I need to wait for a call that has not come in 3 days. She has no reply other than its policy.

I ask if the bulb is in stock at the JVC building in Wayne NJ. She tells me they do. I tell her waiting another 4 to infinity days for a call back then shipping of the bulb is not acceptable to me. I want to pick one up from the Wayne facility. She replies that the only way I can do that is either purchasing the bulb or bringing the set into the facility. To that I reply the only way the TV will be going to Wayne is to be dropped off on exchange for a refund of the full purchase price. She does not reply. I ask if I purchase the bulb will I be refunded the money if I ship the defective bulb in, No. I reply, so what you are telling me is even though I am willing to take a hour plus round trip and pay $190 to get my TV working today rather than wait for a call from someone that has not contacted me in 3 days, that you will not provide me any direct contact information for to get this warranty issue expedited? She doesn't reply again. I ask what is her boss' title and contact information. After telling me there is nothing he can do to help me and I reply let him tell me that. She tells me "Hold on". After about 10min on hold she comes back, ok I will admit at this point I was pissed. She says "Hi..." I interrupt with "Surprised I am still here?". She continues "umm well I spoke to my manager and he said he was able to authorize sending you a bulb".

After a good 2 seconds of silence I say "so what your telling me is you have wasted days of my time waiting for the phantom Warranty Service Supervisor to call me when all I had to do was complain my way up to your managers desk because he can authorize the replacement being sent?" She replies "I guess so, I did not think he was authorized to do this".

3days later the bulb arrives, I install it, it all works nice. They next day I get a call from JVC. They want to confirm my warranty replacement bulb request.......huh? I ask, wasn't the bulb already shipped? She replies no, I see here that you PURCHASED A BULB that shipped a few days ago. Now I know they have absolutely no authorization to bill me for a bulb at this point, and no CC information from me at all. So I ask "What's the open amount on that order?" "Paid in full".

In theory I should have a 2nd new bulb here today. If it arrives it should be interesting to see what happens regarding the first bulb. Perhaps the manager just did the old "make the customer happy" and sent me a bulb but forgot to cancel the warranty request. /shrug

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
joblow-your experience with the JVC Customer Center is similiar to mine-only with rudeness thrown in. JVC Management really needs to take a look at this customer service center. I have names, dates, times and rudeness events. Also, I assume you are still in your 1 year warranty period. I hope you realize that you may be out $190 every 700 hours or so once you exceed the 1 year anniversary date. Is this what you signed up for when you purchased this high end JVC Set?

CrashNash

Username: Brkr

All,

I purchased a JVC 61" HD61Z575 in April 05 at Best Buy and my lamp gave out last night. My problems began on 22 Aug 06 when I noticed that the picture was getting noticeably dim and then last night, 23 Aug 06, I hear a suddent pop! and out goes the picture on my screen.

Looks like I'm one of the unfortunate who will now fork over $200 to bring my TV back to life. After reading all of the above posts and other forums on the net I got that sinking feeling in my stomach that I stood no chance trying to convince JVC to give me a break on a lamp.

My thoughts were confirmed this morning when I called up JVC customer service and got this answer, "the lamps only last one year, 1,000-1,200 hours on average". This was the most satisfaction that I could get out of the service rep. and seems like a standard answer they are trained to provide. I asked about the 6,000 hour average they boast on the FAQ section of the website but the rep. stuck to his guns and kept stating they only last for one year and that I should plan on purchasing a replacement every year.

To me this is just not right. Yeah I know it's my fault for buying the TV. I trusted JVC's statement that the lamps would last for 6,000hrs on average, and hoped that it would live at least half that time. On top of that, it took me over a year to convince my wife that this was a good TV to purchase. Talk about embarrassment and regret. This purchase makes me look like an all around sucker that got took. It doesn't make sense to spend $200 per year on a TV that I've just spent $2,500 for? Ever heard of subscription or maybe rent to own, that's what this amounts to in my opinion. If you want to own this TV, plan on saving $17.00/month to keep it going. Nice!
I can't beleive JVC is getting away with this.

I guess all I can do now is never purchase another JVC product and warn others about my experience with their products and customer service.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck to you all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Brian: I feel for you. You are one of the first that has been outside the one year warranty. If you go back and read some of my previous posts in here, I am all for a class action suit. The only problem, I have not been out of my pocket yet--JVC replaced by blown lamp--so I an not be the primary plantiff. I am concerned when my new set warranty does expire (Nov 06). I hope some one who has suffered monetary loss due to JVC's blatant mis representation of the Life of the Lamp (6,000 on the average if you beleive the FAQ at the JVC website)will pick up the banner and proceed with the class action. Their is not cost because most of the time with these class actions, the plantiff, if they lose is responsible for the legal costs. It is terrible, when in America we have to revert to class action suits to make a company due what is right. I know if JVC would issue me a spare bulb and warranty the spare for two years or so or 1500 or so (less then the 6,000 hours advertised) I would be happy.

Oh by the way, the replacement lamps that JVC is sending out are only warrantied for 90 days here in the US. Guess that tells you what they really think of their lamps. And something else interesting, if JVC sends that same lamp to Canada, they warranty it for 1 year. I guess the Canadian Government is more concerned with customer rights.

CrashNash

Username: Brkr

Well it's going to cost $165.00 for a replacement lamp. Ouch!

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/expertise on how to maximize the lamp life?

BTW - my wife called JVC back and a service rep admitted to her that there are problems with the lamps. However when she spoke with a manager, the manager adamantly denied any problems with the lamps stating that they are consumable items and they should last 4,000-6,000 hours. According to the manager that's how they will be able to avoid any lawsuits, the lamps are consumables.

I wish someone was on my side $$$.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Brian--I see JVC is still misrepresenting their product. Thanks for the post. It may come in handy if we ever get someone to contact the San Francisco Law firm and get this class action suit started. Believe me, the consumable argument will not work---if they are representing that consumable to meet a certain milestone. It did not work for Panasonic--they settled their class action out of court. In the long run, it is going to cost Panasonic a lot more trying to defend this product then it would have if they had just tried to work with their customers.

I wonder how many of us would have purchased our sets if JVC had represented a 700 hour lamp life rather then the 6,000 currently represented in the FQA part of JVC National Website?

CrashNash

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/jvc_tv.html

Username: Jasong

I have posted once before about my "bulb" experience.

A quick recap, I bought the JVC HD-ILA about a year ago. A beautiful set and an equally amazing picture. I was sold, matter of fact, I sold quiet a few friends on the same set.

Anyways, within the first 2 1/2 months my bulb blew. I immediately did a google like most of you and found this thread. I called JVC and they were quick to tell me the first "batch" of bulbs were not the greatest and were from a manufacture they no longer use.

Wonderful, they don't bother to recall them so they wait for people to either shell out more $ for these bulbs or get hip to the game. They sent me a new bulb after several calls, because the first person NEVER processed my request.

Okay, so I got the bulb late January this year and guess what...

This weekend my TV goes into hyper mode and the flashing blue light comes on and shuts down my TV. I've noticed nothing with the picture. No reds, blues or a lighter color overall.

I pull the plug and immediately turn on my TV again and it seems to be working just fine, until 3 hours later it goes down again while watching the season finale of Entourage.

UGGH! Okay, so what's the deal? Could it still be the bulb even though I get a picture?

Is it the fan? I haven't heard much about JVC having fan problems? I'm at a loss.

I did call JVC and they are sending a new bulb, but I just hope that's the problem. I will say, whatever the problem seems to be, it's just too much in a years time.

Username: Potentialjvcowner

I'm a degreed EE (electrical engineer), have an FCC license (both amateur & commercial), worked in Broadcasting years ago, in computers for the last 3 decades (I'm 57). A+ and Network+ certified, I do a lot of computer service. I was also a product manager for outdoor ultra-bright sunlight viewable LCD displays that use lamps similar to those used in microdisplay TVs [more about that later].

I'm considering buying and will probably buy a JVC HD-56FN97.

Seeing these problems, a number of things cross my mind, based on what I think is relevant experience.

I'm wondering, in part, if dirt/dust is a big part of the problems. Laptops, which I service, often develop instability after 6-12 months due to dust / dirt / hair getting into the CPU cooling system (heatsink, fan, vents) and restricting airflow, the CPU overheats and the system shuts down or locks up. I'd think that the bulb cooling system would do the same thing, and that what might be necessary is periodic (6 months?) cleaning of the lamp vent & cooling system. Basically, take the lamp out, and blow out the cooling system (fans) with a can of compressed air. Maybe the lamp itself also. Overheating could shorten lamp life significantly.

Another comment, as I mentioned I was product manager for outdoor ultra-bright sunlight viewable displays that used exotic lamps similar to these. We had a ton of problems with the lamps and the ballast circuits that frankly were never fully resolved until the light source was changed. However, based on that experience, it is my view that 6,000 hours is not even a reasonable expectation of lamp life, I'd think that a more realistic expectation would be 2,000 to 3,000 hours. That's probably about 12 to 18 months for most average users (less for some, obviously), it's just something that you have to plan on if buying this kind of set. Part of me wants to wait for a set with an LED light source, but I think that could be years for JVC, although Samsung has one shipping now (for an extra $1,500 or so, however ... which will buy a lot of lamps). But the JVC has, to my eye (and it's a trained eye) a much better picture.

Comments?

Username: Ricopeter

VancouverCanada

Hi Barry, you bring up a really good point about dust inside the lamp housing. Something that hasn't been mentioned before. Has anyone here tried this? I know that my computer gets full of dust and I do maintenance on it by blowing the dust out of it on a regular basis.

I just had my bulb burn out after just over 1 year of use. I jumped through many hoops to try and get this solved by JVC and the extended warranty company, but in the end it was the actual repair shop that came to my rescue. The woman at the shop took my faxed reciept which showed the purchase date as 1 day(!) over the 1 year warranty and spoke to her contact at JVC. They have agreed to honour the warranty and replace the bulb for free this time. I am currently waiting for the bulb to arrive. Before I do install it, I think that I will try and do as Barry suggests and clean the dust out from the lamp area.

Post Number: 4
Barry,

I think you have a good point at a way to potentially extend bulb life. Yet I do not think it applies to the root issue.

Your experience with similar products does potentially shed some light on the misrepresentation of JVC that the bulb should last about 6000hrs. 2k hrs would be about 3x the life I got on my original bulb. In the 600hrs my first bulb lasted there was no noticeable dust buildup. Could this have just been a bad bulb? I sure hope so, but it seems many here have had just as bad luck.

Speaking for myself, if at the time of purchase I knew I could have purchased a Samsung 1080p DLP for 800 less than my JVC with little to no issues with bulb life (cant find any issues on the web) I would have gone with the TV that has a little worse picture and cost me 2k (that's assuming I get 2x the life out of my replacement bulb than with the original) less over the 5 year life of the TV. After the 5 years that 2k would buy an exceptional laser projection set.

While I have not researched online posts, I suspect (and I've heard from other sources) that this problem is not unique to JVC, that all of the microdisplay-based HDTVs are having similar problems, with only some slight variations in the degree of the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Ah, the lamp discussion is heating up again. I am glad Barry Watzman entered the discussion because he is discussing from an engineering logic viewpoint and less from an emotional viewpoint (I'm an engineer so I appreciate this).

Regarding his comment that all microdisplay-based HDTVs are having similar lamp problems, there also is anecdotal evidence that Samsung lamps (Philips manufactured) may be better than most. While searching for comments re the Samsung TVs I found this interesting discussion link which has a good combination of engineering views and emotional (with brickbats) views:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.tech.hdtv/browse_thread/thread/190cde963ae 312e/d54891327b7fd350?lnk=st&q=samsung+bulb+life&rnum=4&hl=en#d54891327b7fd350

Username: Vreed27

It is interesting how that JVC website lists the "average" life of the bulb at 6000 hours. That would have to mean that someone out there is actually getting MORE than 6000 hours? I'd sure like to know who (if anyone) is actually getting that extended life out of the bulb.

From every information source I can find or even think of looking for you can not find any other manufacturer with the level of trouble/extraordinarily short bulb life the JVC HDILA/LCoS units are having.

This may be the very reason most of the manufacturers are not producing 3chip TV's and are staying with the color wheel.

Yet again that is neither here nor there. The issue really is the bulb life V's advertised bulb life.

I sent several complaints to JVC after my bulb trouble and finding this forum. They claim the TV's "work as intended". I could never goad them into putting in writing that the bulbs work as ADVERTISED.

I am contemplating complaining to the local BBB. Not that the BBB has any realpower but what other options are out there other than a few of us chipping in to get a case of bulbs for a discount :-(.

Username: S4bb

Just blew second bulb in one year. First bulb went at three months, and JVC did a great job of replacing the bulb within 2 days. The problem now is that I am just over the one year JVC warranty, and am now using the extended warranty I purchased through Best Buy.

I am coming up on three weeks, and still have no idea on when the set will be repaired. The first repair shop that I was told would do the work, let me know after waiting for the first week would not be doing the repairs. The second shop, after one week waiting for the scheduled repair date, did not show up as scheduled, and when I called, they said they did not have the part in yet, and simply did not call to let me know they would not be out that day.

The toughest thing is to see that I could buy the part over night, and have the set fixed, but because of the Best Buy warranty, I guess I am supposed to just wait.

I love the set, but just wanted to share the experience I have had with the Best Buy warranty so far. I do not believe waiting 3 weeks to date (with no idea when the repair will be made) is an Exceptional Experience that Best Buy refers to.

Paul,

I passed on this set because of the bulb issues.. But if I was you I would go ahead and buy a spare bulb out of you own money just to have on hand and use it till the day before the repair guy comes. It's s shame to have a set like that and look at it just sitting there day in and day out while waiting for a repair.. No one will be the wiser if you swap the bad bulb back in a day before the scheduled repair! And you will still have a working bulb on hand for the next time! George

Paul, the Best Buy extended warranty only covers ONE bulb, period, even if you took the 4 year warranty. So it's a given that you are going to need to buy a bulb out of your own pocket anyway, might as well do it now. [In fact, I was told that if you want to change the bulb yourself, Best Buy will simply send you the bulb].

Ok, does anyone know if the lamp problems have been fixed in the latest 1080p models?

Post Number: 4
What is the point of having "user names" on this board if they are just going to show your real name anyway?

Username: Cooki03

Quakertown, Pa Usa

OK...

Some I am not the only one with the bulb problem. I bought my JVC 56 I DLA in Nov 05. It was manufactured in August 05. However, I only watch TV on it on Sat and Fri night... I would bet the cost of the tv (2800) that it has under 200 hours on it. I turned it on today and it was so dim... I thought it was me at first. However I turned it off and then on again but it was a blank screen. THe blue and red lights were blinking on and off....

I was pissed. I called the place I purchased it... Palmer Audio, near allentown PA, and they wanted nothing to do with me.... they just gave me the 800 # for JVC.

TO my surprise they actuall have people, who are located in the USA, working on Sat. I give her some basic info on my TV and problem and she was quick to tell me the bulb was fixed. SInce it is under warrenty they would send one out on Monday. However, she would have to send my contact info to someone else and Monday it would be ordered. I asked several questions about the warrenty and bulb.

Basically they will send me a bulb since it is under a year into the warrenty. However, the new bulb is only warrentied for 90 days.... THey will send it 2 day fed x to my house.

She did say these new bulbs are manufactured different and should be better.

I searched every webpage, and called best buy to get a bulb today. However it was a no go. TO my surprise again, the phone rang. It was JVC to tell me I should have the bulb on wed.

she did give me a 800 # to call about an extended warrenty through a 3rd party.

bottomline, I guess I will have to watch NFL on my 20 inch sharp TV which is 13 years old and cost less then the bulb.

Has anyone rec'd a new bulb.... DO they last any longer....?

very frustrated in PA.

kc

Kirk, a couple of questions for you and the others posting here ....

First question, when you guys call JVC, what is the phone number that you are calling?

Also, what was the 800 number for the 3rd party extended warranty?

I think it's too soon to know if the "new bulbs" are lasting any longer. Basically, it appears that JVC is covering owners for the 1st year (and actually doing that part quite well), but after that you are on your own, and apparently the bulbs are lasting 600 to 1,500 hours, no where near the 6,000 hours that JVC is quoting on their web site. The sets might as well have a coin slot on them .... "please deposit 25-cents for an additional hour". And the smart owner will keep a spare lamp on hand.

Does the set's control configuration menu have a "lamp saver" setting, that cuts the lamp voltage or brightness by 10% to 20% to extend the life? The JVC sets are plenty bright, they are the brightest in the store when I look at them. They could give up 10% to 20% easily, and it might solve this problem.

Quakertown, Pa Usa

the number i called jvc at is 800-858-6442. Actually this is the number the person called me from to let me know they will be sending me a new bulb fed x. I will posted the warranty number later as I have it in the basement next to my tv. I plan on not going back into that room until my tv is fixed as I am still to pissed..........!

any links to buy a spare from...? I noticed one above for like 150.00 is that the best price....

Agreed, the control config might help but I enjoy the brightness and that is why i bought the tv... if I would have know the bulbs were weak and I would only been able to set the setting to 70 % or 80% not sure if I would have bought this tv....

One thing I thought was interesting... although JVC said there was no recall when utilizing the 800 # and after a prompt or too, and I hit the number for tech support the next thing said if you are calling about a IDLA tv hit...

They have hundreds of different tvs... so to have the idla as the first prompt acknowledges there is a big problem.

SHe seems to think this new bulbs will do the trick.

how easy are they to install...

I don't have this set at this time (notice my Username). But I think that installation will be relatively easy. DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB OR GLASS WITH YOUR HANDS. Many of this type of bulbs use quartz glass, and finger oil at extreme temperatures will "etch" it and shorten the life. I also would run the lamp brightness as low as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
JVC will replace the lamps during the new set, one year warranty. After that you are on your own and "out of your pocket". From what I have seen in here, replacement lamps are not lasting any longer then the new lamp. It looks like all JVC is concerned about is getting this set through the one year warranty. I have replaced one lamp after about 600 hours of use, under the new set warranty. My one year warranty will expire on 26 Nov 06. If I blow a lamp after that date and it did not go 6,000 hours as represented at the official JVC FAQ, then I will replace the lamp "out of pocket" and try to get a class action suite started. If you go back to August, you can read my posts in regards to clase action. I cannot be the plantiff as yet, because I have not suffered any monetary damage to date.

Bottom line--I do not think it is right for a customer to purchase an $2,200 + TV set under the expectation that the lamp will last 6,000 hours, only to have to replace the lamps after around 600 hours of use. I did not sign up for this additional expense when I purchased the set. At that time I took JVC at its word---the lamp should last on the average of about 6,000. Not even close to that.
CrashNash

I agree with Rodger. Hey if the bulbs were lasting 3000hrs...half as long as they said....I would not be happy, but not a big deal. 10%-20% of the estimated life however is INSAIN. Ofcourse we have no idea how many TV's they sell and how many bulbs fail, but IMO if the numbers were in JVC's favor they would be making them public to shut people like us up.

Not that I expected some great outcome, but I complained to the BBB and linked this web page in the complaint. The BBB has attempted to contact JVC regarding my complaint and has not received any reply.

Bronze Member

Just a thought! Why not try a few of your local TV news people? Heck they help out a lot of people if there is a story in it, and you may get some strings pulled for everyone..They may take it on if there hard up for news that week.. I think there a story in it all for sure.. George

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
In my humble opinion-a Class Action is the only thing that will get JVC off the dime. In worked for the Panosonic purchasers. Please be advised, that a class action law suit was filed against Panasonic for basically the same customer complaint--short life of the lamp. The suit was settled in favor of the customers. The remedies (not exactly per the settlement) were something to the effect that any replacement lamp costs would be reimbursed, that the new set warranty would be extended until Nov 07 for customers that had problems and till May 07 for those who had not registered any problems and if the problems continued, the customer would receive a $1,000 credit toward a new set.

Please be advised that in August, I contacted Harry Hulman of the Mills Law Firm, San Rarfeael, CA. This is the law firm who sucessfully represented the "Class" against Panasonic in a case that involved lamp performance problems. In addition to the remedies I stated previously, the settlement required Panasonic to pay $250,000 in legal fees at no personal liability to the "Class Members"

However, because I have not yet suffered any moneytary loss at this time, I could not be a plantiff in a class action against JVC. As I have indicated, if I suffer any nometary loss after my 1 Year Warranty Period or experience any more failures during the warranty period (I have only had one lamp failure to date), I will certainly call him back and initiate a law suit in my name and request it be a class action. For anybody who has suffered monetary loss and would like to contact Mr Shulman, his email is harry@millslawfirm.com The rest of you posters can take what ever action you think is right.

There was no out of pocket legal fees assessed against the Panosonic Class members. All legal fees were assessed against Panosonic.

Crashnash

Quakertown, Pa Usa

OK.....

I get the new bulb from JVC today, I called on Sat. Ok turn around time. I am pump. GO down stairs, put the new bulb in. turn the tv on. everything is good. Call the family to come down and watch tv... It isnt on for 5 mins and the same thing happened.... Black screen completely and the blue LCD and red light in the bottom front of the tv are blinking...

I check the orginal bulb and it doesnt make any noise when I shake it... not sure if it is really blown..

any ideas.

Post Number: 8
Is your fan spinning? Sounds to me like you need to have a service call.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us