SONY OWNERS

Username: Mistert

Post Number: 1
Sony KDF-60WF655

My rear projection LCD television turns on(flashing green light, then solid green, picture appears). After about 4 minutes, the tv appears to turn off, screen fades to black and the power light again flashes green then back to solid green. This pattern continues. HELP!!

Username: Drfun

I am in Canada and have the 42" Rear Proj LCD TV and I was getting the light blue "blob" that is seeming to grow. My warranty expired 13 months ago. I called Sony - managed to get to a manager and then they arranged to send a service man out to my residence at their expense. The serviceman said the repair was $2100 (the optical block) and faxed this to Sony's head office. Within 48 hours I was offered a new replacement TV - same 42" but the newer model - with the only caveat required that I had to purchase the 4 year extended warranty (which gives 5 years total of Sony warranty)- for $400 I decided to use the "credit" to upgrade to a new 46" Bravia LCD flat panel LCD.

The Service guy said that had it been any other company, they would have laughed and hung up if I called after the warranty expiration.

Kudo's to Sony - They are a class act and I will continue to buy forever!

I suggest to those who have had difficulties - be reasonable - be polite - and realize that they are not legally bound to do anything - but they do want to make you happy!

Username: Grfunk

Post Number: 3
Tracy,
Had the same think happen with a 42WE655. Replaced the lamp and all was well. Lamp had over 10,000 hrs on it.

Username: Blueblobwega

Post Number: 2
Tony,
Are you saying you had the infamous "blue blob" problem and that a new lamp fixed this?

Most all (99%) of the conversations I've read here and AVS Forums on this problem always results in the tech saying the optical block needs to be replaced. And at least for us US customers, Sony is being very stingy and telling most tough luck and offering very little if any help at all with the expense.

Curious. Please let us know.
My lamp has over 12,000 hrs. and this is what my display looks like.

Upload

Post Number: 4
No. I was commenting about the first post and no picture with green LED. Sorry.

Thanks....and whoops. My bad, no apologies required. Had I been more attentive of who you addressed (Tracy) I'd have realized you weren't referring to Hello's post. Just chalk that one up to knee jerk frustration dealing with this fiasco.

Post Number: 5
I understand. I've been following this site ever since I got my TV and I haven't really experienced any problems. The only thing I've noticed is the time it take for the TV to have a picture. Sometimes it comes up in 5 seconds, sometimes 10 or more seconds. The TV I had to replace the lamp in was the Sony 42WE655 we have at work. The were leaving it on pretty much 24 hours a day. We don't do that now. I have the same TV at home. I hope mine lasts a good long time but who knows.

Yep. 42WE655 here too. And my power to picture times vary as well. No biggie but odd nonetheless. I think it has something to do with how cool the lamp is when powering up.

In any event, keep your eye on your panel for the infamous blue blobs or roadmapping issue. These sets are notorious for this as there is a design flaw in the optical block. Word on the street is that it has something to do with dust accumulating in the fan screen that cools the optical block and it's a good idea to clean that periodically. Otherwise it will fry some components resulting in the problems above.

Some Hitachi sets are having similar issues and guess what...the optical blocks are made by Sony.

Username: Mjrymnd

Ortonville, MI US

I have a KDF42we655 with the blue blob and multiple blu dots and now yellow splotches that started as blue blobs. My set was approximately 1yr and 7mos old when it started. I spent nearly 2 months with the customer service runaround without resolution. The very first person I spoke with told me that Sony knowingly had sets with bad light engines produced in 2003 & 2004 and were going to correct the problem free of charge. After 2 mos of getting someone diffrent it eventually changed to your set is out of warranty and only "road mapping" will be corrected free of charge. After spending the amount of money for one of these sets and after reading all the messages posted on this site it's apparent that Sony is fully aware they have a serious defect in these sets and have no intentions of making good on any acceptable remedy. The cost of repair is roughly $900.00 and the latest flyer I received indicates that a brand new 42" WEGA can be purchased for $1,200 at a local electronics store. SONY Corp I believe you've committed a cardinal sin in business for short-term minded profits, and have lost a number of customers for life....

Username: Angelodileonardo

Elmer, N.j. Usa

sonys optical engine in rear projection tv need to clean every year because of dust dust dust dust also i read sony made a new optical block for rear projection tvs kdf model and if you had your set repaired by a tech you can get reinbured by sony for the optical block so if anybody read go to there web site sony customers service on lcd rear projection tv

Elmer, N.j. Usa

anybody having problems with there projection tv from sony like purple or blue or pink haze its the optical engine either going bad or it has to be cleaned dust or smoke can cause these effects but who knows the lamp is connected to the optical block some say change the lamp that wount help just tring to help others out their i know how it feels you feel i spent all this money for 2yers for a repair that cost 2500 dollars

Username: Kellieo

Ritzville, WA WA

Ok. I have a 55 inch Sony TV. First the lamp went out. We replaced it for $200. Now we have the famous blue blob on our TV. It was in the lower left corner and it almost takes up half our our TV. We spent 3000 on this Television because we thought it was a good invenstment. Now I'm kicking myself. Sony's support referred us to a tech and he told us its the optical block and that part cost $800 and here is the best part I have to drive almost 100 miles to get my 55 inch tv to him. Neat huh?! I am really frustrated. I am or I was a true Sony customer but now I am only left frustrated and screwed out of $3000. My TV is the KDF-55WF655. I have had it two years.

Ritzville, WA WA

Ok I thought I would show a picture of my blue blob. The other picture is tiny....check this out. It's horrible

Ritzville, WA WA

Upload

Username: Themostro

Secaucus, Nj Usa

I came home one day and my kwf55 would not go on only a red stand by light blinks six times and stop and it starts again ....can somebody tell me what going on?}

Elmer, N.j. Usa

Post Number: 7
go to http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=kdf70xbr950&news_id=127 here is the web site i used (above) to help spread the word about how to get your optical block refuned

Elmer, N.j. Usa

Post Number: 9
did anybody get any results from the address i posted above

Username: Dsmylski

Welland , Ontario Canada

got good news today. i found my receipt from the sony store. repair people said my extended warranty had another year. will be getting new optical block installed for FREE next week. hopefully with new block i don't have to worry about blue blob anymore. unless of course the new block has the same defect. anyone know how i can extend the extended warranty????

Username: C_baca

I have a 61" KP61HS10 The picture suddenly went black, I have sound but the standby/power light is flashing 7 times. Tried unplugging to reboot to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be. Sony customer service don't know and would like to send out a service tech. We would like to try to fix it ourselves if possible, any ideas?

Username: Dsmylski

Welland , Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Does anyone know if the credit program applies to Canadian customers also?? although i have not had any out of pocket expense to date and have been covered by my extended warranty, my wife thinks we should dump it and get something more reliable from Sony before we have to start paying for repairs. [if there is such a thing]

Bronze Member
Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 27
Connie,
No chance to fix it yourself it takes a tech. Good luck with Sony. I have been involved in two class action law suits in the last 3 years. Sony when it works, nothing better. When it doesn't no help from Sony until I sued them.
your friend,
Db

Post Number: 10
I have the KDF-42WE655 model and it had the blue blob. TV was purchased in July 2005. Called the place I bought it from. They are a local Sony service center. They didn't know about the blob or any Sony extending warranty on the Optical Block. I showed them the form. They replaced the Optical Block and charged me $1130. I sent in the form and bill to Sony. Got a check for $1130 with in two weeks. The TV was manufactured in 2005.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us