Panasonic DMR-E85H, HDTV & Explorer 8000HD How do I connect?

Username: Bonnie2

Henderson, NV US

Post Number: 2
DVR: I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H. It has a 120 g hard drive and its own TV Guide

which receives its signal, if hooked correctly, from the cable box. In order to receive

it, the output must be from the cable box into L3 on the recorder -- or from RF out on

the cable box to RF in on the recorder. On the back of the recorder there is also an

L1 in, a component cable OUT and composite cable out, which goes to the TV at

Video2. There is an IR "mouse" that comes with this Panasonic and it is positioned

just below the cable box. If I change the channel on the DVR it will change the

channel on the Cable Box.

CABLE BOX: Cox cable Explorer 8000HD. The main cable from the wall is attached to

the RF in. The RF out is going to the in on the DVR, which is going out to the to the

TV. The Cox Cable box has a DVI output going to the DVI input on the TV. This

requires that the audio cables (LR) be connected to the TV. There are two sets of

composite audio outs and only one set has a corresponding video (yellow). That one

set is labelled "out 2 VCR". The S-video is inactive, according to Cox.

TV -- JVC LT-26WX84: There are DVI inputs, and LR audio inputs for the HD reception

or there is a Component Video in connection which will cover both sound and video

(and free up the LR audio connections that I need if I use the DVI hookup). There are

video 1, 2 and 3 input connections and one output connection. (Video 2 in goes to the

Panasonic DVR as required by Cox for operation of their own DVR). When I am on the

digital-in screen on my system and click on the Cox menu of programs saved on their

DVR and tell it to copy something to the "VCR" it send it to video 2 and if I go to video

2 I will see the thing about to be copied and I have to press record on the DVR to copy

it to its hard drive. What should be happening is that when I press video 2 I should

see whatever happens to be on the cable screen because the Panasonic should be

getting the signal from the cable box. And then I can record it. What in fact, is

happening is that when I press Video 2 on the TV I get a blank screen unless I have

specifically "told" Cox to copy something from its own hard drive. In short, the

Panasonic DVR is NOT routinely getting the signal from the Cable Box.

I've disconnected the LR audio cables from the TV (the ones which go to the TV) and

put them into the L1 in on the DVR. Then I DO get the sound when I switch to Video 2

on the TV (so I can record the sound). I do not have another video output on the

Cable Box. (Where most of the time you have the full set of 3 composite cables next

to one another, the box has a digital audio out -- black and LR audio -- RL.) So I

looked for another Video source and I'm told S-Video is out of the question because

inactive.

I don't want to use the functionality of the TV Guide and the Panasonic or the ability to

record directly while the program is on. I know I can always record from the Cable

Box to the DVR and then to DVD but that's an extra step for every program and kind

of ridiculous. I have several Panasonic DVRs all without hard drives and they were

very easy to set up. I've called Panasonic and I've called Cox and I can't seem to get

the problem solved. If I set something to record on the Panasonic, the channel

changes properly and it is able to get all its programming notes but because it doesn't

get a video signal it records a blank screen.

I've been advised to change from the DVI to the Component Video Hookups and to

get an RF modulator to get more output or input ports. I can probably split the RL out

signal and send one to the TV and one to the DVR. I've been dreaming of ports and

hookups and cables for several days now and I'd like to resolve this. Can anyone

help? And by help I mean tell me exactly what goes where. If someone tells me to use

an RF modulator, for example, where does it go in the setup and what else to I

connect to it. I see that there are many kinds with a few hookups, to a lot of them.

What do I need for what I have?
Add Your Message Here

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 555
I will answer you if you ask a simple question
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us