-Difference in PQ Question

Bronze Member
Username: Gbelous

CT

Post Number: 31
Okay, I'm still debating on getting a HDTV now or to wait....but here's my question...

Would a standard cable picture on a 720p 46" hdtv be the same quality as on a 1080p 50" hdtv? Both have cable thru s-video and the same brand, just different sizes and resolutions.

I'm thinking not only because the 1080 has twice the number of pixels so the picture would be at least a little smoother.

I saw a friend's 720p tv and the pq was pretty bad for cable. Some stations came in a little clearer but people's faces and outlines were very pixelated and backgrouds were almost so fuzzy I couldn't even figure out what it was sometimes. DVD's and games looked awesome but I couldn't live with the cable quality.

Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 223
The larger the screen the worse SDTV will look.

xvxvxvx

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3302
Why would you want an HDTV without an HD source? Not a good idea.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 554
HD TV with poor quality is:
Basic set-up problem
Are you: HD Antenna, HD Satellite, or HD Cable user?

SET THE AUTO wizard (read your manual)

Since broadcasters use all of these you must enable them all or it won't look right. Most TVs are already preseted for TV tuners
In receiver/cable box set advanced setup to enable all:
* 480 standard
* 480i
* 480p
* 720i
* 720p
* 1080i
followed by the wizard for auto switching
If one of these not enabled will cause poor quality on LCD/Plasma/or DLP

Your receiver or tuner will detect broadcast aspect ratio/resolution but is up to you to set it for auto switch including auto stretching 4:3 and keeping 16:9 so you don't have to mess with that either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us