Grainy DVD Playback

Username: Bo989

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased the following components:

(i) Viewsonic N3752Sw 37" LCD TV
(ii) Panasonic S52S DVD Player

I connected the S52S to the LCD, expecting to be blown away by the image quality. Instead, the picture was horrible. My roommate, who doesn't have a fine eye for these things, even commented on the incredibly grainy image. This is not a subtle effect and I find it hard to believe that its the natural grain of the 'film'. The thread at this address: http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/showthread.php?t=111332 contains two photoshopped images that illustrate exactly what I'm talking about.

I've tried the following to troubleshoot the problem, but nothing has worked:

(i) Tried 480i, 480p, and 720p output settings on the DVD player.
(ii) Tried two different HDMI cables.
(iii) Tried component cables.
(iv) Tried adjusting contrast and brightness. and turned down sharpness.
(v) Tried different DVDs.
(vi) Even tried my old DVD player over component.
(vii) Toggle and adjusted every picture setting on both the TV and the DVD player, including those in the E991 service menu on the TV.

I also have an XBOX 360 hooked up via component and a Windows Media Centre PC hooked up via VGA. Both look amazing. In fact, DVDs played in from my PC in Window Media Centre have absolutely NO GRAIN at all. I'm using the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder on that box.

I'm at the end of my rope here. I don't think its the television, because I CAN get a good quality image out of other sources. I don't think its the DVD player or the cables, as I've tried different ones. The way things are now, the image is completely unacceptable, and I'm no videophile. Does anyone have any suggestions or have they had similar experiences? Any advice would be appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us