Samsung DLP Game Mode

Username: Nvegas

Post Number: 2
I have a Samsung HL-S4666W DLP. I have HDTV through Comcast. The picture is good and clear. However, if I watch tv (hd or otherwise) on game mode, it is fine, but if I watch in any other mode (ie, standard, movie, dynamic) it really hurts my eyes after about 5 minutes. My wife has the same problem, so I don't think it's just me. The picture is good in game mode, but not quite as good as the other modes, so I would prefer not to have to watch in game mode. Has anyone ever heard of anyone having a similar issue? What is different about game mode versus the other modes that might explain why it doesn't hurt my eyes. Note - I posted a few weeks ago on basically the same issue. At the time I had direct tv but not hdtv. At the time I thought that the problem was that I didn't have hdtv, so I switched to Comcast to get HD. HD is awesome, but it still hurts my eyes, unless I watch in game mode. Can anyone help?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 990
You need to tweak each mode that you intend to use. I used a THX set-up on a THX DVD. There are other calibration disks such as Digital Video Essentials and Avia. Try using Warm 1 or Warm 2. My color is on 46. My contrast is on 55. My brightness is 48.

Game mode has a slightly faster scan rate to compensate for game controller button delay. I don't see any real difference myself.

Username: Nvegas

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the response. I do need to get a calibration disk to get the best picture; however, I think this particular problem is something else. I have adjusted the picture to where it looks really good in all the modes, but it is still painful to watch (even though the picture looks great) in any mode except the game mode.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 993
Very strange!
You should take a trip to a store front and see if JVC or Sony LCOS bothers you.
DLP technology may not be for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us