Plasma popped then dead

Username: Blizzted

Post Number: 1
Hey guys im having big problems with a Haier 42 inch plasma i bought the first one Nov. 26th 06 it lasted about 2 weeks popped then dead took it back got another lasted till Christmas eve. then popped again took it back got another then popped again this morning this is my 3rd tv and all had the same probs.im running a surge protector but my house is 100 years old can it be the wiring in the house or just really bad luck.....

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 64
Steven,

You could try a UPS instead of a Surge Protector. Also, have you tried another location or different outlet? Also, what other devices run of that electical curcuit (refrigerator, washer & dryer, ... )? Also, location, is there enough ventilation?

Just my thoughts.

Username: Blizzted

Post Number: 3
ok i just checked all the circuits there is only 3 lights wired to that one and some plugs in the hall way that are only being used by glade plug ins and nothing else no fridge washer or anything else,as far as ventilation goes its mounted on a corner stand in the air has plenty of ventilation from back and sides,the only issue it might have is the temp it gets pretty chilly in this old house but i dont think that should affect it all i mean it doesnt get below 50 degrees in here at night with no heat on...are plasmas temp sensative i know it runs hot as heck while on

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 87
No. This has nothing to do with a display type. Try posting your question in another forum.

Username: Zidek666

Apple Valley, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 2
Your problem may be excess static electricity build up in your relatively dry environment not the temp, per se. You are most likely blowing the HV power MOSFET transistors in your power supply board. If you have rugs or any thing else such as wooden floors, try spraying clothes starch on the floor to avoid static electricity pickups.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 117
Or it could just be brand defect.

Username: Zidek666

Apple Valley, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 3
It could well be a brand defect, but not necessarily. I'm in Minnesota were it's always very very cold and dry in the winter and without s humidifier inside, heated air is very dry. The pickuo of static electricity is very common. As a result many of our customers have "popped" thier plasma units and other home electronics regardless of brand.

The part that typically pops and causes the symptoms described is not a blown capacitor but one or more high voltage power MOSFET transistors in the power supply board. These are very susceptible to failure if subjected to excess static electricity and will fail with the characteristic "pop" and acrid smell! Capacitors on the other hand usually just "fizzle".

The way to fix it is to replace the power supply board if the techinician servicing the unit is clueless or if he's a real technician will replace the HV power MOSFETS on the board.

We've brought back dozens of different brand plasma units locally to life with exactly that problem by repairing the PS boards.

Best precaution to use to avoid this problem is to minimize excess static electricity pickup around any modern electronic equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Lucca

Post Number: 90
Plasma tv's run very hot, so they use fans and huge aluminium heat sinks to cool them down, these heat sinks are mounted on the power supply's transistors and some chips, so when the temperature is chilly as you said, it creates condensation on the heat sinks, then when you turn the tv on, water starts running through out the powered boards shorting out components, I think that is the source of your problem.
Good luck.

Username: Pablin

Brighton , Colorado United States

i have recently purchased a 60 inch LG plasma tv THE REMOTE CONTROL has not a code for the cable box( motorola) is there any way i can make it work.}

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 62
The Haier carries either LG internal parts or Samsung internal parts. Either way, the problem with the infamous POP goes the TV is normally the X-Sustain board or the Y-Sustain board. They are the two big boards on the left and right hand side of the TV when you open the back. The only place that I've been referring everyone to (if they have the parts) is www.discount-merchant.com .. They sell it all, with photos, references, and reasonable price..

Try checking there.

Username: Jojolynn

Well Hello;
I have a 42" MAgnavox Plasma TV. Was working great. Turned it on one day after a week away and was watching it, doing fine. Then I heard a POP and then there was red and green fuss and then nothing. It will power on (light goes from red to blue} that is it. I don't know about sound because I had a surrond sound hooked to it. My DVR player also turned on at the same time, when the TV poped. PLEASE any help...

Username: Joedfleo

Bethlehem, Pa Usa

Post Number: 4
Vizio P42HD Plasma
Unit powers on, however, there are bars on both sides of the screen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us