16:9 vs 4:3 on Samsung 4096 LCD

Username: Vikish

Post Number: 10
I'm trying to adjust my picture size for HD channels vs. regular channels. I have a choice of 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, Wide Fit (greyed out and not selectable) and 4:3. If I choose 16:9, my HD channels have a strip of black on the top and bottom and the picture looks stretched from side to side (i.e. people have wide faces). The regular channels fill the screen but are cropped and stretched. If I chose 4:3, then both HD and regular channels show in 4:3 picture size. ((What's strange is that, at one point, my HD channels DID fill the whole screen without stretching the pictures, and if I flipped to regular channels, I'd get the proper 4:3 ratio on those.)) I'm not sure what I did (or what happened) such that I can't get the proper picture size ratios. Can anybody help me? Frustrated, H

Username: Adjah

Albuquerque, NM USA

Post Number: 3
I had a similar problem until I went to the settings from my satellite provider and checked the "native" option that automatically formats the TV channel to fit the correct aspect ratio for each channel. This function also shifts between the resolutions automatically too. So, HD channels come in at 1080 and SD channels come in at 480.

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 98
Make sure you have 1080i selected and 4:3 aspect check. The HDTV 16:9 widescreen feature works but when you go from 16:9 to 4:3 Window Box mode you get to see the 4:3 side. Some sets have a memory mode and remembers what you want for SD 4:3 viewing.. Sidebar, Full, Expand, Cinema, Wide an etc..

Bronze Member
Username: Vikish

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the tips, however, I can't figure out where to select 1080i??? I have an HD cable box, that hooks into a Yamaha receiver which is connected to the TV (I believe). Nowhere in the TV menu can I find an adjustment for 1080i. Can't find anything in the Cable box menu either. I doubt the receiver menu has it. I know I've seen the menu before, but I can't find it! Very frustrating since everything was fine two weeks ago!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us