Good Dvd Player...?

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 54
I currently have the cheapest Dvd player I could find (the cables I hook it up with cost more than it does). I want a better Dvd player and I don't mean like $150 I mean more like in the $300 price range (maybe more if it's a really good one(Marantz or Rotel, Maybe)) if anybody could guide me down a good path.}

Silver Member

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 109
I guess you could call this a bump.
Also, a good Dvd player to me is one that will produce the best picture and if sound can be affected by what is on the Dig. Coax output then a good Dig. Coax too.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1201
rotel and anthem are pretty good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Does Pioneer make good Elite Dvd players? I know Rotel, maybe I should go check out anthem.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 94
I would take a look at the latest member of the Oppo family. Their new DV-981HD upconverter is the sucessor to their award winning line composed of the DV-970HD and DV-971. The new 981 is an HDMI upconverter (even does 1080P !) and also has SACD audio, coax and optical connections. The onboard Faruja chipset will certainly place it at the top of the food chain in video performance. This will be perhaps the best player for the buck that you can find anywhere.

visit oppo at www.oppodigital.com

They are a small company with huge customer support and a very loyal following. They sell direct or via Amazon and one or two outlets.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
I'm intrigued by oppo...

If I were to raise the budget to like 600 are there any recommendations for something if it were to possibly outperform these oppos? The oppos seem like a pretty good buy...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Andre:
After the Oppos, the next in my hit list would be the Denon DVD-2930. This is a upconverter and is typically found at the top of the heap in DVD tests and bake-offs. Sadly, its price is also at the top end as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
That's not a top-end price. Rotel makes a $1500 player lol. I just happened to watch it today!

AMAZING!

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Andre:
For Amazing, go see a Denon DVD-5910CI in action with a good 1080P TV. Perhaps the top of the line at $3500.

The Rotel is a nice player. I am a huge B&W speaker fan so I have an affinity to Rotel and Classe'.

However, my feelings are that the current upconverters are place holder technology at the present moment. You should expect that in one year either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will show dominance in the video format war. At that time you can plunk you cash down on the correct technology. For now, the Oppo at $200~ is the best bang for the buck by a long shot.

Based upon price performance, the Rotel is not 7 X better nor is the Denon 15 X better IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us