Rear Projection DLP Vs. Plasma

Username: Oilerrob

Post Number: 1
I'm a new buyer and I'm wondering which is better.

I'm looking for something around 50" for $2000-3000. I'm not a HD user and don't plan on it. I don't care too much about pic quality I just want a BIG screen. I will be sitting about 10-12' away from the screen (most of the time).

Probable myths of Rear Projection I'd like answered:

Are they heavy?

Does the pic disappear if you are loooking from an angle?

BTW I'm leaning towards a RP because they are cheaper.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 937
Uhhh...what the hell are you thinking?
HD is FREE! Any uhf/vhf antenna will pull in all your local digital HD channels. Many prime-time and sports programs are wide-screen HD these days. Picture quality will be a major concern to you once you have a BIG screen. Larger Plasma sets are still too expensive and the display will age, discolor, and eventually fail just like LCD does . DLP displays are not chemical. It's nothing but light and mirrors. A new lamp renders the display to new condition. The 1080P models have the line resolution needed for BIG screens. Viewing angles are not an issue as long as your vertical angle is correct. Do yourself a favor and make a smart purchase that you won't regret and save a grand or more in the process. Use the savings to buy a 5 year extended warranty. Register the serial number online for additional factory warranty. All current display technologies are new inventions and covering your butt is a wise decision!!!

For a DLP I recommend a Samsung HL-S 5688W

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=19685932/sort_type=price /ut=46ffc94a874f6941

For an LCOS I recommend the Sony KDS-55A2000

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=24458159/sort_type=price /ut=46ffc94af0b837d5

These are the two best displays on the market today...IMHO!

Bronze Member
Username: Stevestar99

Dahlonega, GA

Post Number: 33
New CRT WS/HD sets are light and compacted. The screen viewing angle has greatly improved over the years. It's pretty close to 45 degrees. I was fooled by a RCA CRT rear project the other day. At first glance I thought it was DLP. If you read any of my other post, I'm not a fan of DLP. READ how many people are having problems with their DLPs and how extensive the problems are.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice. I live in Canada and I'm not sure I get HD for free...at least I didn't think so. Like I said the DLP was what a I was leaning towards and a 5 year warrantee seems to be a must according to steve's advice. Also i never considered a CRT because of the weigh but if you say they are light and compact I may just have to consider. CRT technology is tried and tested but Plasma is not.

Plasma is officially off my list and my wallet thanks you for it.

It's amazing what a fad can do to tech sales because I thought Plasma was the next best things.

Username: Fdsa

Hi, I'm new to this board, too, and had a question relevant to this topic.

I was wondering if you guys knew the Canadian model equivalents to the two TV's you guys recommended, more specifically the Samsung model.

Username: Bpx

Rob, I bought a RP Samsung hls6187w and have been very happy with it. I felt the same way, for the money, RP is the way to go. I spent just over $2000 for it and got it off the internet. Will probably get an extended warranty before the manufacturers warranty is up.

Post Number: 5
bpx, thanks for the advice but that tv in Canada at Best Buy is $3799. Where exactly did you buy yours?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us