Samsung S5087W

Username: Felix_t_katt

Post Number: 1
Greetings one-and-all,

I recently had my lemon Samsung DLP TV replaced by CC (in conjunction with Samsung) with an S5087W 50" 1080p. It had been working pretty well up until about a couple weeks ago or so.

My TV has decided to start randomly turning off (powering off) on me. I'll be watching a show on my FiOS box, or on a DVD and then suddenly the TV makes it's little shut-down "beedle-dee-do" and turns off.

So far, I've contacted Samsung and have gone through the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Unplug and reset the TV by holding the power button for 10-15 seconds.
2. Unplug the TV from the power strip and plug it directly into the wall (evidently, some power strips will inhibit the TV from getting all the juice it needs. Sounds like hooey to me.)
3. Pulled the TV away from the entertainment center enclosure to allow for better circulation.

All of these steps have accomplished exactly squat-o. I have a tech coming out Thurs (11/28/06) with a "light engine" in tow. He seems to think (without ever looking at the TV once, mind you) that this will be the answer to my problems. Considering the numerous issues my previous Samsung TV had, I'm reluctant to hold my breath.

Has anyone else encountered symptoms similar to this? Please note, I'm not getting the flashing lights that a dead lamp would cause, so I don't think that's the problem. Anyone else have ideas? (FYI, I'm looking in your direction ... )

TIA everyone!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 934
Well... it sounds like a lot of that shutting off stuff is happening with these 87s. The
"light engine" is certainly not the issue. Most any reputable tech would suspect the switch, the infrared circuit, or the power supply, but not the engine tray. I read that one owner with the power-off condition had the digital board replaced and that fixed the problem. Please, let us know what the fix ends up being. Best of luck!

Username: Eymyel827

Post Number: 10
ive had the same problem with my s6187w. try this and hopefully it works. at the back panel of the tv, theres a lampcover. just unscrew and rescrew tightly (not too tight). that should fix the problem. hopefully this works. lemme know!

Username: Felix_t_katt

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input!

I've jotted down your suggestions and I'll discuss them with the tech when he gets here.

I'll post a reply to this thread as soon as I have some answers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us