Samsung 6168W 1080P DLP-picture problem

Username: Hoosierdoc

Post Number: 1
Upload

Was wondering if anybody can help me out here. I have had this tv for a little over a year now without any problems. Two days ago, a dark but transparent band has appeared on the left side of the screen only. It tapers to very thin at the top, but it extends about 1 inch when measured from both the bottom and the middle. You can see the picture through the line, but the color looks very funny at the transition point. Any ideas?? Thank you VERY much in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 933
Looks like the shadow of an object in the light path. The lamp light travels through a mirror box. I've heard of a very few of these boxes failing by either coming apart or collapsing.
Call 1-800 SAMSUNG. Get past level one if you are past the warranty period. They usually fix or replace these for original owners, regardless of warranty status.

Post Number: 2
Thank you VERY much for your reply. I called Samsung like you said and explained the problem to them (was great that I sounded like I knew something). First, they told me that I purchased the TV on 8/15/05, so my warranty was up on 11/15/06 (11 days ago)and this would not be covered. I told them that this was not acceptable and I would like to speak with a superviser. He placed me on hold, came back about 5 minutes later and said that they would extend the warranty until 12/5!! So they are going to send somebody out to see what's going on. Thank you very much once again. I will keep everyone posted.

I did buy an extended warranty through the TV Authority, but I would rather have Samsung take care of it directly. Hope it is fried so I get a new TV. Probably won't happen, but from what I hear this first generation of 1080p DLP's are full of problems.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 941
Kewl!

Username: Zorro_olmer

Lynnwood, WA United States

Cliff did you ever get a solution to this. I have the same problem.
Zorro

Username: Cincydave

Fairfield, OH

Cliff,

I'm also very interested in what this problem was and how the repair/replace turned out.

Mine just started same problem 3 days ago, 1.5 inches wide top right tapering down to nothing at bottom right.

I'd like to know what I'm in for before I call Samsung.

Post Number: 3
This problem has been resolved!! It was exactly as FYI described. The mirror box was defective. Samsung sent 2 guys out and replaced it within 4 days of me calling. Cost me nothing, and the TV works great once again. Good luck to you all. Tell them that this is a "known issue" with their TV's and do not back off.

Thanks Cliff. This is just the information I need, for when I deal with Samsung again. I called a local repair guy who first said he had no idea what the problem was. But after a minute or two said it was the light box and would cost me $1000.00 and that he would be over in an hour. I told him not to bother.
Thanks
Zorro

Just talked to Samsung they are extending my warranty and fixing the TV. It sure helps when you can tell them whats wrong (thanks to FYI and Cliff) I was able to sound like I knew what I was talking about HEH HEH. PS. The repair guy I talked to before said it needed a light engine not a light box. I don't know anything about how much parts cost but I bet he just pulled a real expensive one out of his butt when he made that guess.
Thanks again
Zorro

Post Number: 4
Samsung just repaired my DLP. They did it for free. They did it after the warranty period had run out and they just made sure that they will be the first brand I check out whenever I buy anything in the future. WOW a company that stood behind their product!
Zorro

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 963
Kewl!

Username: Telephoneguy

Hello All- I am a reseller for audio/video products and we have sold countless of Samsung HLN,HLP,HLR series of DLP's. I have yet to have an issue even after the warranty from the manufacturer has expired for any of my clients. I decided that was proof enough this was the right settop for my home theater. I have had this TV over 1.5 years. I made the mistake of accidentally hitting the power button seconds after turning the power off. I know this is a no-no but am sure my kids/wife have been guilty a time or 2. This time I got this terrible sound like something was "shorting". I hit the power button once again to turn it off. It accepted the off command. I turned the television on the next day with no problems evident for the moment. I had the TV on for many hours when all of a sudden I heard a loud POP and then the "shorting" sound reappeared. I removed the plug from the set and waited about 1/2 hour before checking it again. This time I removed the cover from where the bulb is seated and watched the bulb as I plugged the set back in. The ugly "shorting" sound appears to be coming from that bulb and it flickers as if it is trying to go complete its process of turning on without me ever having hit the power button. It seems to have gotten caught in an on state. I neglected to mention that the picture disappeared immediately after the initial loud pop and many lights came on on the power circle located on the front of the TV. Sorry for being so long winded but I want to make sure anyone willing to provide me with guidance has all the facts. I hope FYI will respond to my post as you seem pretty well versed on the product. I greatly appreciate anything anyone can help me with in advance!! I also forgot to mention that it is a HL-R6167W. Thanks again

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 967
Install your spare lamp!

Username: Patrickw

Same side banding problem on my HL-R6168W. Mine is on the right side of the TV. Started after about 16 months of use. I will call Samsung this week and let the board know what they said. This is a BIG customer service option. IMHO. The need to fix this and offer a repair service..this is clearly a default of the unit.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 999
Banding is usually caused by compressed mpeg2 source material. Does it happen on HD channels?
Other inputs too? Sat compressed standard def is the worst.

FYI--No my problem is the same as Cliff's in the first post. except my "shaded" band is on the right side of the tv. Same tapered shape too.

call SAMSUNG, you must have original reciept and fax it to them. Here is a picture of my problem, same as others on this board. My DLP was manufactured in July of 2005. This is obviously a component failure, probably due to bad third party suppliers. Upload

Username: Cincydave

Fairfield, OH

Tech was finally out to replace mine at no charge. Took a while to get the part, Samsung was back ordered. Tech said I was one of 4 people he had with same problem this month. Hopefully they just had a bad batch when these were initially produced and these replacement parts will last...

spoke to Samsung for the 3rd time in 3 weeks. My problme was 'stuck' at excecutive customer relations. Was told by rep that warranties are only extended for 90 days and since my purchase date was 9-2-05 I would not be extended. I insisted this was a common problem and that a new mirror box was $1000 part and this would make the tv not worth reparing.. asked to speak to someone "higher up" at this point the rep said...let me see if you I can extend the warranty..I don't think I can, but I will try...and almost immediately he said, oh yes, I was able to extend it to the end of the month. The set up a call from my local repair guy and I should hear something in 48hrs. We will see how long I have to wait on the part and how much my tech knows. Samsung needs to issue a recall/warranty extension on this.

Username: Nrc2112

I have been waiting 3 weeks for this to be corrected finally got ECR - I am on hold right now.

This is driving me nuts lets see what happens next

Post Number: 5
My local TV repairman came out on 2-7-07. It took two guys all of 15 minutes to replace the entire DLP Engine assembly. BTW, this includes a new bulb which apparently only Samsung replaces with the DLP engine. Picture in now fixed. Way to go Samsung to stick with their product, I just hope this one last more than 14 months. If you have this problem, be firm and polite and keep escalating the problem as the other posters have stated.

Still waiting on ECR to fix they said the part was on back order and that I will need to have the entire set replaced via Circuit City.

BTW the shadow is completely obscuring 50 percent of the screen now.

Username: Johnnyb1

Clearwater, FL

I too have the exact same dark band issue on my HL-R6168W, on the right side, wider at the top (about 1.5'') and tapering towards the bottom.

TV was purchased in August 2005, so out of warranty.

I am currently waiting for a callback from excutive customer relations. Hopefully Samsung will come through on this one. I will keep everyone posted.

Username: The_audioguy

I posted last night about the same problem with my HL-R6168W purchased in August 2005. I just got the same transparent band on my set 2 days ago. It appeared as I watched a DVD. I was going to contact Samsung today and thanks to this forum I have some ammunition. I'll post Samsungs's respomses and actions. I've attached a photo. Hope it comes out.Upload

Clearwater, FL

Dave, my TV problem looks almost identical to yours except maybe the dark band is slightly narrower, but still tapering from top to bottom.

Update: I called Samsung back since I never heard back from them (they were supposed to call me back within 72hrs about 1 1/2 weeks ago). Got transferred to executive customer relations rep - Natasha. She was very helpful. At first she wanted to cover 50% parts only, then said that since the tv was purchased 18 months ago said they would be willing to cover 100% parts but I had to cover labor (apparently if over 18 months they would only cover the 50%). So she set up an in-house service request with the closest authorized repair facility -- they should be calling me within a couple days.

I would encourage anyone else having this problem to post it here and bring that to Samsung's attention. They don't seem to be fully aware of how many folks are being affected by this.

ECR finally sent me my ticket to have the set replaced via Circuit City.

I received full credit for the purchase price last years price. I went ahead and played it safe and got a Mitsu Y65.

Very happy the set is great.

Good Luck

I called Samsung on 2/27/07 and faxed ECR a copy of my original invoice. Still waiting. The dark band has widened slightly.

Yes and it will continue to widen until the whole picture is obscured.

Be persistant and good luck.

I faxed Samsung again yesterday. Nine days now abnd still no response. Here's a photo showing the progression of the problem since discovered 9 days ago.Upload

Username: Gadgetguy

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I am having the same problem with the black band along the left side of my TV (HL-R6168W). My TV is about 14 months old. Also, I'm not sure if it is related to the same problem but the coloring is way off on certain things. I really notice it on people's faces. It appears that they all have a large grainy blotch on their face.

Has anyone else noticed this. I'm wondering if I have 2 problems or just 1.

I have an extended warranty through RepairMaster and just called them. They authorized service from a local repair shop who should be contacting me within 24 hours to make an appointment. Let's see. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

Post Number: 6
Have not seen that issue so I do not think it is related, perhaps 2 problems here?

What can we do to facilitate a recall from Samsung this is an obvious issue with the manufactor of the digital light engines on all sets 18 months and older.

Username: Zhanglulu

I have the same problem on my HL-R6168W except that the shadow is on the left side and is growing wider. Mine is 18 month old, I didn't notice it and thought it was from the cable TV signal until recently it is becoming wider. I called Samsung and is waiting them to call me back, I will keep this updated.

Update on my HL-R6168W. I called Samsung after not getting a response after faxing ECR my invoice as requested. They agreed to pay for a complete digital engine - parts only, and said I would have to pay labor ($200.00 from my local repair center). After I complained that this was a known issue, and should be fully covered, they said that if I got an estimate from the local Samsung repair depot that proved the digital engine was at fault, they would cover the labor too. This didn't make much sense to me since they KNOW what causes this but I had the repair centre confirm the problem as per Samsung's request, and I faxed the estimate to Samsung ECR on March 13, 2007. Again no response from Samsung, so I called a week later. Someone new looked up my file and said again that they would only pay for the part, not labor. After some wrangling, she found the notes in my file and agreed to pay parts and labor on my 18 month old set. A few days later the service depot called to confirm. Now the weird thing is that this morning the bar was gone! My part is now in stock and the service center said the problem would come back, so to still replace the digital engine provided by Samsung. They also got a bulletin saying that the problem that causes the band to appear is a defect in the Light Tunnel and from now on, this is the part to order, not the complete digital engine as everyone has been replacing. Better $100+.00 for the part than $800.00! So if you have this problem, it will cost a lot less to fix out of warranty.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1065
Great information, Dave!

Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on getting it covered!
The stipulation that the LE must be at fault to cover the labor is crap, in my opinion.

Clearwater, FL

Final update: LE was replaced on my TV a few weeks ago and problem disapeared. Their authorized service facility for clearwater leaves some to be desired. They brought the TV back with a horizontal tilt in the picture which basically means they never bothered to adjust anything after replacing the light engine (they should have adjusted ring focus, picture tilt and "index delay" as needed). They then said the picture was also warped in addition to being tilted (i did not notice that part), and that the 2nd LE was also defective, and replaced it again. I finally got the TV back and working fine again. Labor cost: around $200, with TV 6months out of warranty.

Username: Phil_g

I have a HLR-5678W with the same banding issue on the left side which started a couple of weeks ago . After finding this site I called them today and they have told me to contact ECR tomorrow as they would onlt extend my warranty for 90 days which does not help since i purchase the set in December of 2005. I explained this is a known issue and they should cover under warranty. Is it the Light Engine I want replaced or something else?

Post Number: 7
Phil, it is the Light Tunnel that causes this problem. Samsung was replacing the complete digital engine but now has a bulletin out to repair centers to just do the Light Tunnel. Either part will fix the problem, but the light tunnel is cheaper for Samsung. The repair center must then strip your digital engine to replace the light tunnel (more labor). You must be persistent with ECR to get warranty coverage including labor. If not, you are in for about $200.00 in labor. My set was bought in December 2005 and they extended my warranty to April 18, 2007 to give the service centre time to get the part in case it was backordered.

Dave, thanks for the update on the light tunnel. I called the authorized service center Samsung gave me just to see if they would give me an estimate for the cost of the repair. They said they won't come out to where I live! So I called Samsung and they told me that was the closest service center and if I wanted I could look in the phone book for someone closer. When I told them I was still waiting to hear from ECR and that I assumed they would cover this , the rep said if they did they would find someone to service it with through their regional field service enginner - guess I will wait and see.

Dave, Service guy called me back - good news he will come to me. Bad news - he says the light engine needs to be replaced that he has never heard or just replacing light tunnel and he wants to charge me $1,100 for the part plus $200 for labor! I'll wait and see what Samsung says about the warranty repair and then will need to decide what to do.

Post Number: 8
My local Samsung repair center charges $800.00 for the complete digital engine plus the $200.00 flat labor fee. Your guy is trying to hose you.

Post Number: 9
My set is fixed! The service guy came by today and replaced the digital engine all at no charge. The whole operation took about 20 minutes. The engine slides out after unplugging a few connectors and the new one slides in. The tech then followed the DLP Engine Adjustment Instruction sheet that comes with the new engine by entering Factory Mode using the remote and running down the on screen menu. He also reset the hour meter for the lamp since the new engine comes with a new lamp. Bonus! The set looks great again. Thank you Samsung.

I asked the tech about the recent Samsung service bulletin advising Light Tunnel replacement instead of complete digital engine replacement. He said the old engine must be stripped down to change the light tunnel which is WAY more labor than just swapping a pre-calibrated engine. Glad I got the latter. I have attached a photo of the old digital engine.
Upload

Samsung won;t fix my set!
So know I have 4 options:

1 - Live with 1" band on left until it gets worse
2 - Buy a new one replacement set is $2,000 with 3 year extended warranty
3 - Pay $1,300 to fix set (seems crazy if I can buy one for $2k
4 - Fix light tunnel myself - anyone know where I can get instructions?

Phil

Username: Drcrabby

If your tv manufacturer is giving you trouble, don't hesitate to file a report with your state's consumer affairs office. It's amazing what they are capable of doing for you.

Username: Tahoejimw

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

I have a Samsung HL-S6187W DLP TV. The picture will intermittently, as my wife says, just "freak out." 90% of the time it works fine, but when it freaks out, the colors will fracture and bleed, turning mainly green and purple. The images are still there, but the colors look like a bad 1960's psychedelic movie, morphing through the images. If I turn it off, it will go back to normal, but I sometimes have to turn it on and off several times before it does. Any ideas?

Username: Gadgetguy

My HL-R6168W set is now partially repaired.

I got RepairMaster to authorize a repair and they sent out a tech who replaced the light engine.

Now I don't have the black band going down the side anymore. However, I still have the problem with the dark scenes on my set being displayed VERY poorly. Any dark scene is showing up as blotchy green/purple instead of the appropriate color. Especially skin tones (peoples faces) or black backgrounds.

I have tried adjusting the color setting and even restored them back to original but to no avail. I was hoping that this was also being caused by the light engine problem but I guess not.

Has anyone else experienced this bad coloring on dark scenes problem before? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Kaotik78

Post Number: 31
I'll jump in on this one since my thread isn't getting any attention. I've got a HLS-5087w (now) and this has been my 3rd set through samsung. Originally purchased in 05 they came to replace the streaks on my HLP-5063w, then the light engine, then the color wheel, then they replaced the entire unit with the next model up, which arrived DOA, then I got another unit, that one had a light engine issue, which was repaired, then it died completely. Now I have my current HLS-5087w and after a year of virtually no issues what so ever, the lower left corner has what appears as a shadow. I called samsung and explained the situation. Pending my last HLS unit, we had to argue the fact that the unit would come with a full year warranty. Of course after arguing, the tech agreed and out came the new tv. I went online and registered the tv. Well now samsung is stating they did not give me the one year warranty, and the new model is not registered online, only my original unit. The tech continually argued that the tv was past the warranty date, and the best they could do was send someone out to look at the set to determine the issue. Well that day has finally come and gone, the light engine is bad, AGAIN! I have to wait till tomorrow to talk with a rep about this. Both my wife and I feel that the unit/brand has given us so much trouble over the course of our ownership, the unit should be repaired as it is a manufacturers defect. We'll see what they say. So far they have been great until now. They had the tech come up from Boston to NH just to evaluate the tv.

This tech, no offense to him, seemed to not know as much as I do about the tv. He was using his fancy remote to access the test displays on the tv, while the wiselink screen was up, and he kept repeatedly pressing the buttons on the remote. I suggested that he wait till I back out of the wiselink screen to try his codes. Viola it worked. Then he dismantled the entire unit, but not before yanking the plug out of the back of the already turned on unit... After that he asked me for window cleaner and a cloth! At this point the screen is off, and the mirror/light engine eye is exposed. He was going to spray the window cleaner right into the mirror, so all the moisture would get all over the light engine eye. I told him to stop and apply it to the cloth then wipe. This guy's english was pretty rough. After he had it all apart with me helping. He determined the light engine was defective. We put the tv back together and he left. All that time/energy wasted for samsung to estimate the damage to my tv. What is it with these tv's that make's them fail so much? Would I have been better off with a mitsubishi/sony? After all the repairs, replacements, I've just about had enough of the bullshit. Hope they fix this rig, I really don't want to call the BBB.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you.

This occurred on our set as well.

I went with the Mitsu y65 and could not be happier.

Samsung definately needs to do a recall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I'm currently researching mitsubishi actually. How long have you had yours, not to go too off topic here. We're through with samsung if this isn't repaired soon.

I have had it for a few months but I have had discussion at this forum and the overall consensus is that Mitsu is the value in RPTV at this time.

Check out http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/

and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581433&page=1&pp=30&highlight=xb ox+360+vga

Regards
and

Username: Yardost

Houston, TX

I noticed the same issue about a week ago on my HLR6168. Called Samsung who intially told me my one year warranty ran out in early April but than came back and told me they will be extending my warranty by 90 days and cover the repair for this issue. We have already received a call from the local service center and they are waiting for the part to come in before scheduling an appointment. They talked to my wife so not sure what part they will be replacing. I will update after the service call.

Username: Brate

Melbourne, FL United States

Just in case anybody still has any doubts, all of the shadows in these pictures are due to shifting of 1-of-4 small miror(s) in the Light Tunnel, which is part of the Light Engine.

These mirrors can be shifted back into place by using a soft, narrow, lint-free implement to stick into the hollow tunnel and apply sideways pressure. I don't recommend glue as the Light Tunnel is under pressure and the side mirrors are not (or at least should not be) affected by gravity. Of course you will have to remove the Light Engine and take it apart. I am nobody and I did it in under an hour the second time around. Link to instructions follows.

I do not believe this procedure voids the warranty as it does not make any permanent changes, however you may not want to risk it or waste your time. I would also suggest that if you are still under warranty you attempt to get an entirely new Light Engine as it includes a new DMD, Color Wheel, Lamp and a whole lot of other parts.

If you are not under warranty, you may still wish to get an entirely new Light Engine for the same reason as noted above.

A Light Engine is about $800 and I could replace one in under five minutes! No lie. OK, maybe it will take you 30 minutes on your first try because you will be very careful. You may still wish to pay $250 for a "professional" to spend 15 minutes performing the work as most of them will warranty for an additional whopping 90 days and in some cases this problem has reared its ugly head again within that time period. Others were not so lucky as the latent defect appears to manifest itself a little further down the line.

For reference, rough estimates for these parts:

Light Tunnel = $250
Color Wheel = $150
Lamp = $150
Lamb Balast = $120
DMD = Don't know

Lamps fail for sure, and the other parts are a crap shoot.

Here are the instructions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10405020&&#post10405020

There are now over 100 people on the AVS Forum who have experienced this problem. If you haven't yet, please report yours as a list is being kept.

Any questions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
After following up with customer relations, samsung has offered to replace the dmd board which is 1000.00 or so at no cost to myself and extend my warranty for a month.

Honestly after this all started with my HLP model, they replaced the light engine on that model, the HLR, and now my HLS. Im sorry but a person should not be going through repeated failures like this.

My wife has pressed for a refund in full as both she and myself do not want to get the short end as we have in the past. We are saddened by this as we love this television, but have lost so much time off from work in the past for repairs etc, that it is starting to cost us money.

I'll be getting a call from samsung within 24/48 hrs as to their verdict.

My question now, and to my wife, is where do we go from here. Are all dlp technologies created equally? If I get a mitsubishi/sony/etc will it still give me issues or will it be more reliable, aside from the bulb?

I know you said you "junped in" to this thread. Is your problem just like the pictures above?

If so, a new DMD won't help you, but as long as you are under warranty, you have to play the game. Grin and bear it...and a new DMD is no where near $1000.

If your problem is NOT like the problems above, you should take a picture of your symptoms and post it anyway...then stop posting here -aka-hijacking the thread. Everybody is sorry you have a problem, but we all have a problem and that is why we are here. You give a little to get a little, so you can give by posting a picture and going to the AVS forum as I suggested above and get your name added to the list.

When you say "customer relations" do you mean Executive Customer Relations...ECR, as is discussed in the AVS forum? Who specifically did you talk to?

The DMD is part of the Light Engine, A light engine is $800 from the local (40 miles) repair shop or $1000 from J&J International (www.samsungparts.com). The DMD is more like ($241/$321 respectively).

The only DMD assembly ("ASSY PCB S-DMD") I could find a price by on samsungparts was for the HLS6187, and that one was going for $321.28. It is probably the same one as in your set.

So what gives? Somebody in your story is giving bad information.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Wow Phil, either text is conveying your emotion badly or your coming off like a jerk to me.

Im not trying to hijack the thread. When I say customer relations I mean ECR. Do you work for samsung btw? Im not looking for sympathy from anyone, it's a television, not a loved one :-) I don't have a camera so I can't post it, if I did, I would.

The tech said I needed a new dmd board. So that's what I must need apparently. What gives is that I have a POS tv and we're tired of the run around from samsung. I was trying to get some advice on the subject and felt like just posting my problems just like everyone else.

I'll do my own research on new sets now and go from there.

I do not have emotions on the topic and I apologize if I seemed too direct. I am also not interested in debating implication vs. inference.

I do not work for Samsung. It is my belief that Samsung knows about the shadow problem, that it is a defect and that they should fix it at their expense. It doesn't sound fair to me that a person should spend $3500 on a TV and then have to spend an additional $1200 every thirteen months thereafter plus a great deal of time and, for some, aggrevation, to be able to continue enjoying it.

I would like to just stick to the exchange of facts on the shadow problem depicted in the pictures. In my two posts above, I laid out the correct diagnosis to the pictured shadow problem, the cost of various parts (problematic or not) and a fix the unfortunate out-of-warranty folks can use.

In return, would you please consider answering the questions I posted to you and perhaps, if applicable, submit your information to the AVS thread I linked to above?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Lol, no, no no :-) I wasn't saying your emotional, it's difficult to convey your emotion through text.::sigh:: nevermind.

Im gonna see if I can dig up a digicam from a friend and take a snap of the unit.

We'll see if I can get it all written up and posted before samsung takes the unit away.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z50/kaotik78/DSC04410.jpg

Lower left corner, the camera did not do a good job of showing it really but that's what it looks like in a nutshell.

The tech has cleaned the entire unit, mirror, screen, even tried a new bulb, still there.

My solution to the problem is to get a different set.

Thanks for the pic. I am confident that pattern is not due to a collapse in the Light Tunnel, especially since you said it pulses.

My guess is that your problem is indeed due to a defective DMD and the quote you got for $1000 is for a whole new Light Engine, rather than just the $241 DMD Assembly.

Oddly, this problem resembles a CRT (not the rear projection variety) that is being acted upon by a magnetic field, like when a speaker is placed in close proximity.

Good Luck.

Username: Ten02

San diego, CA Usa

Hey Guy's, Thank You for all your postings in regards to this somewhat recurring problem with Samsung HL-R6168W models. I was 6 months out of warranty but because of all of your postings I decided to call Samsung and explain to them the problem I had encountered. I was able to attain level II (Executive Customer Service Level) and was able to negotiate free parts replacement but paid $260 for the Samsung Feild service call.
This was OK with me since the replacement part is about $1000 (complete light engine assy).

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 23
Art,
Samsung will usually stand by their product. I was a service tech for Samsung for many years and we had approvals to fix 2-3 year old TV sets under warranty all the time. Just to keep the customer happy. They just want to be recognized for their great service and have their customers buy a lifetime of equipment from them. $1000 light engine costs samsung very little, specially because they send the core back to get re-certified and repaired in their Tijuana factory. The only expense is the shipping and the service tech which they just charged you for..

I was not so lucky. Afer no fewer than 15 calls, a couple of emails and my polite, yet firm, demeanor, Samsung only offerred to pay 25% of parts.

In theory, yes, they should want to keep consumers happy, but in practice that isn't happening. As I stated before, there are over 100 instances of this problem recorded on another forum (avsforum.com). I can only imagine how many instances of the shadow problem their records would show.

Under warranty, there have been two solutions. Out-of-warranty, Samsung has treated consumers in what appears to be an arbitrary fashion. In some cases they step up and cover the entire repair, in some cases they do nothing, and in some they cover some fraction of the repair.

A/V is my hobby and I am considered by many as a good source of information on new technology. Prior to this problem and Samsung's treatment of my situation, I used to toute DLP over other technologies and Samsung on or near the top of that heap. Now I am embarrassed that I own one. I now have to tell people of the problem, how Samsung's customer service falls short and how I am stuck with eating the immediate expense of buying a new TV or spending $1200/yr on this money pit.

Username: Rexx

CHGO

Developed 3 inch wide shaded vertical band on left edge of screen on 61 inch Samsung dlp about 3 weeks ago. Purchased 8/05. Saw information hear . Called Samsung and sent purchase receipt and explained about info I saw on this website about this known issue. After a few followup calls Samsung extended parts warranty 1 yr.Today Samsung service rep came out and replaced complete light engine assembly plus new bulb. I paid $260.00 for labor but at least got the new bulb. Thanks for the info and help people. The tech thought they had improved the light engine assembly so hopefully this problem won't reoccur.

Username: Pcparts1001

Dear EVERYONE with this shade problem on the side of the tv. I am a Samsung Service Tech, this is an easy problem to fix without replacing the light engine. It is one part inside of the light engine that needs to be replaced. Part #BP96-01727A. Replace it and problems solved. Any other questions write me at pcparts1001@yahoo.com

These are all the models affected by this problem

HLS7178WX
HLS6767WX
HLS6188WX
HLS6187WX
HLS6167WX
HLS5688WX
HLS5687WX
HLS5088WX
HLS5087WX

I am offering my services if anyone interested in this problem or any other Samsung related problems. On the Shadow Problem, if you dont feel comfortable working on the light engine, I can repair this problem for you if you ship your light engine to me, for a price of course, but way cheaper than a new engine. pcparts1001@yahoo.com

Username: Dlperez

Hello Folks! Thanks so much for everyone's information. My wife and I just recently discovered the same problem with the dark faded transparent band a few days ago. Now that I have this information, I will definitely call Samsung. I am upset that a few weeks after my warranty is up, my TV goes. This was the first major purchase of my marriage and to have this happen really tickles my pickle!

I will let you know what comes of this.

OK guys. I got off the phone with Samsung and found them to be very helpful. The saw that my warranty had expired and started to give me the big schpeal, when all of a sudden..."...but I will be able to extend your warranty for 90 more days." I about to open a can of "whoop-@ss" before they said that, being that my warranty only ended 2 weeks ago.

I provided the information they needed, and faxed my original receipt to them. The person said she would contact the TV Specialist and call me to confirm she had done so for me. We will see what happens in the coming days, but so far so good.

Thank you for all of your help! Once this is resolved (whenever that may be), I will post again and let you know.

Username: Stewde4308

Just another Samsung HLS5687W owner who has now experiencing the black band on set. My set is only < 1yr old and still under warranty. The tech is coming today to repair,and warned us they will 2-4 hrs to complete repairs. I guess the will not be just replacing the entire light engine as stated in other users e-mail but their gonna take it all apart. Is there anything I should be aware of with this procedure? What is the likelihood of this happening again? It is only under warranty for 1 more year. Should I call Samsung anyway.
Any input would be grateful.

Username: Stewde4308

Well,
It appears what they changed on my TV was what the tech called "mirror light tuner"
what is that? I didn't see any reference to this in this forum. But my symptoms were exactly the same. Is it another name for something? Took 45
minutes to change and it could have fit in his pocket. He also said it could go again.......
Thats really what I needed to hear. <a year old and problems already.

The defective part is called a Mirror Light Tunnel, or Light Tunnel or LT for short. It is a small component within the Light Engine.

Many people have had the entire Light Engine replaced for this shadow problem, which has the benefit of giving you a new lamp and color wheel, both of which have limited lifespans.

The Light Engine was designed to be easily replaced. The LT...not so much. Still it is easily done. 45 minutes is a pretty good time for replacement. I think I could do it in 20 minutes, but I am awesome :-)

The guy about five posts up that gives the part number made a mistake. I am pretty sure that part number is not correct for any model of TV. I think the part number he gives is the Lens Assembly the LT fits into. The only part number I am sure of is for the HLRxx68W series. It can be found here: http://www.samsungparts.com/part_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=Parts+and+Accessories &category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=BP67%2D00218A

(Notice it does not show the HLR6168W on there, but it is indeed the correct LT for that model...the website ommission is just another quality issue with Samsung.)

There are instructions and pictures on avsforum.com under: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758625&highlight=samsung+shadow

I don't think you even need to buy a new LT. As my previous posts show, you can readjust the mirrors in the LT with a soft narrow implement.

Finally, if you haven't already, please post your information to that avsforum thread I mentioned above. We have a list being kept there, and you never know what use that might be of ;) Post your TV model number, purchase date, experience with Samsung and the resolution...as well as whatever else you can think of.

Username: Jxryan

Samsung won't fix my set - HLR5078W. The dark band appeared about 3 weeks ago and I am 6 months out of warranty. They will not transfer me to executive customer service so I am stuck. I paid 3500 bucks for this thing - I will never by another Samsung product again.

That is the first time I have heard they wouldn't put you in touch with ECR. You can call them directly at 800-522-7341.

But you are not stuck. The post right above yours talks about fixing it yourself for free.

Username: Skicraz

I am having a similiar problem with my HL-S5087W which was purchased on 6/2/06. I got back from a business trip towards the end of June and noticed it. My wife says it has been like that for 4 months but I told her I would have noticed that.

Initially I called customer service and they told me the warranty had expired and gave me the number to a repair shop here in town. After reading this I think I am going to call them back and tell them about what I have read on here and see if I can't get this covered.

It looks like there are some of you guys with sets older than mine that are getting this covered by Samsung. Any suggestions from the guys that have had success on getting this covered?

I would definitely suggest calling again. Although I am still waiting for my TV to be serviced, Samsung did stand by their product for me and I was just outside my warranty. They told me they could extend the warrant up to 90 days, which would still make you eligible. I was politie and provided them with a lot of information, specifics I found on this thread, and let them know I was doing research on it, and it seemed to be a known and very common problem. If they doesn't work, the number above, definitely should be tried for executive customer service. Good Luck.

FYI...
My status to me earlier postings...
Samsung called me back to let me kow they had recieved my fax with my original reciept, and that they had contacted the local repair service guys. The local repair guys called me a day or 2 later and got a bunch of information about my TV, and said they were going to order the part. So far so good, although it has been a bit time consuming. I will be calling the repair people for a status today. I will keep you information.

FYI...This is what I posted on the other Message Board at AVS Forum.

I have a HL-S5087W Model of the 50" Samsung.
Purchased it June, 2006.
Have the same shadow problem as listed above, but on the right side instead of the left. Read above information and contacted Samsung Support.

I provided them with as much information form these message boards as possible and she was able to identify it. And open a ticket for me to have someone come out and take care of it. My warranty ended late June, and was just our of Warranty by about 2 weeks. The person I spoke with from Samsung said that she would be able to extend the warranty for me up to 90 days so it appears that the repair may be covered. This will probably take place early next week, but I am not sure.

Things they needed from me:
-- Description of problem (duh!)
-- Did I register (I wasn't sure but they found it in their computer)?
-- Did I have original Receipt? They asked me to fax it. I am not sure if they would have needed this if I had registered the product, but I would assume if it was NOT registered, you would at a minimum need to have the reciept.

That is about it. They gave me a transaction number to keep track. I even asked if they could notify me when everything got processed and approved, and the woman was happy to tell me she would call me as soon as she got word of approval.

Unlike some, and like some, I had a good experience so far. I will let you all know as I hear and find out more information.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info guys. I was going through my files and cannot find the original receipt. I bought the set from CC and when I called Samsung the first time I called CC to see if I purchased the extended warranty. The found the purchase in the system so I assume they can print a receipt.

Ok here is the latest. I couldn't remember if I regestered the TV online so I went to Samsung's website and created an account. When I logged on I was sent to repair self tracking, which has a ticket number.
I clicked on the ticket number and it shows it in current status and that the parts have been ordered. I called the repair center listed and gave him the number for him to look into tomorrow. I'm hoping that when I initially called Samsung they went ahead and extended the warranty (without telling me). If not, I'm gonna be calling Samsung tomorrow. As a side note, I purchased the TV on 6/2/06 and made my initial call to Samsung was on 6/23/07.

Username: Raedog

We purchased our Samsung HLR5078W from Vann's in August 2005. The dark transparent band going down the left side of our screen appeared yesterday. I assume it's the defective mirror box everyone else is having trouble with. Since the TV is two years old... what should I do? Will Samsung fix it for free? Also, does it harm the TV in any way to continue watching it until it's fixed? I have to watch those upcoming Yankees games on MLB Extra Innings... Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Post Number: 9
Dianne,

1) Contact Customer Service: 1-800-Samsung. They will take all of your information and tell you that it is not under warranty. They will refer you to a service center near you.

2) Call the service center they refer you to and get a quote for them to come and replace the Light Engine. They may give you a quote to replace the Light Tunnel only. This is a less desirable option becuase you don't get the other stuff in the Light Engine like the lamp(bulb) and color wheel. They may want you to pay to have them come out and look at it before they quote you. You might try, "Everyone knows about this problem. It needs a new Light Engine. How much for you to come out and replace the Light Engine?"

3) Call the Executive Customer Relations (ECR) team at Samsung: 1-800-522-7341. Explain your story to them and how much it will cost you to get it fixed. They may offer cover the expense. They have coverd others out of warranty. You can tell them you feel ripped off and you are not alone. You can tell them that both ecoustics.com and avsforum.com have very large threads about this and that there a list is being kept. It is true and you should add yourself to that list on avsforum.com (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758625&page=22) by posting your model number, purchase date, problem date and resolution Samsung offered you.

Trust me here...they know about this problem. It is probably their number one product issue at the moment. I will bet they are willing to prevent you from joining the ranks of the disgruntled. It is worth a shot, right?

If that doesn't work, there is always the Q-tip method I outlined in one of these two threads.

For anybody out there bold enough to open the system up, an interesting exercise is to remove the Light Tunnel assembly (the whole thing with the lenses about 6" long), shine a flashlight through it and project it onto a wall or piece of paper. You will see a rectangular bright spot with the shadow. Try manipulating the mirrors through the little square with a de-cottoned Q-tip and see the results. When you get the mirrors re-alighned and the rectangle clear, very gently re-assemble everything. Very gently...to avoid jarring the mirrors.

Good luck.

Username: Rjohnson90

Tulsa, OK USA

Have a Samsung HLS-5087W with the same problems as others, concerning the dark transparent band going down the right side. I am out of Samsung's warranty, but opted for CIrcuit City's extended warranty. The repairman is on his way. Will see what he says or knows about the problem

Username: Rjohnson90

Tulsa, OK USA

Repairman stated what has already been cleared up. A light tunnel failed, and they have a memo from Samsung to repir the light tunnel only, not the light engine. Repairman stated that when the ordered part arrives (1 week??), he will return, replace, and replace fan, and other areas covered, ut not the bulb, as it is fine.

Username: Raedog

Is everyone having their TVs fixed at home? Has anyone had to have their TV taken away for this light tunnel repair?

Username: Buddahead

Just another guy with the same problem.... a 6 inch vertically shaded area running down the left side of my screen. Out of warranty about 6 months. Complained to Best Buy who sent out tech - very cool and helpful. Referred me to this post and Samsung. Called Samsung today and was referred to ECS. They said they will call back within 1 week. We'll see. At this point it's obvious this is a recall issue... Isn't somebody a lawyer out there who can take legal action??

Username: Buddahead

Just to follow up and let everybody know - Samsung called me back yesterday and offered to replace the light engine if I agreed to pay the labor charge - around $300 or so. I took their offer but signed onto the class action lawsuit related to this matter. Here's the link to the lawsuit:
http://www.samsungtvshadowclassaction.com/main/home.sfx
Hopefully, I won't have the same problem again in the future...

Username: Doylejj

Add me to the list of people who have discovered the dark band on the right side of my HLS6767W purchased at Costco a little over a year ago. Thanks in advance to those who have paved the way for my upcoming chat with Samsung customer service.

Username: Chellekn

I have a three year old Samsung DLP HLN4365WX/XAA - The screen looks like a psychedelic movie with flashes of purple and florescent green - ghosting everything...any ideas???

Called Samsung Executive Customer Service today at the phone number posted above. Told the nice woman the problem and mentioned that Samsung knows about this problem. She was surprised I had the phone number but accepting of it and my reasoning that I wanted to skip the first step in the process.

She wasn't familiar with this particular issue but immediately checked with another in the office and returned to say my warranty had been extended to December 14 and the repair would be covered 100%. I asked if it was because of the light tunnel shadow issue and she said it was because it was only a short time after expiration of warranty(3 months), at least that's what they told her.

She faxed my info to the area service center which happens to be the only TV repair shop in my area, which I have used before.

Haven't heard yet from them but will call tomorow after they have a chance to receive and review the fax.

Very satisfied so far.

Username: Ashokhv

We purchased HLS-5087WX/XAA from circuit city 6/17/2006, and could boast of its performance, with excellent colors. There are lot more I liked about this DLP TV from Samsung, good reviews about Samsung etc.. In last week or so, started to notice a vertical dark transparent band on the right corner of the screen. Started to bother me and my decision to buy Samsung, called the customer support , realised the TV is out of standard warranty and (company)extended warranty. There was no additional warranty I had bought, scared me the hell,I had to invest money again to fix this. Called the Executive Customer Relations (ECR) team at Samsung: 1-800-522-7341, listed in this forum, spoke to very polite and professional lady "Barbara", explained the problem with the TV,she took few minutes to gather all the information I had related to the purchase , and I was honest to mention I registered this product online only last night after fearing of the expense. She made my day by assuring to extend the warranty to extra 3 more months Dec-17, and set up a date for tech to come and fix on Nov-21st at no cost.
Great way for company Samsung to stand by its product, and a great customer support from Barbara, Thanks to people here who have logged their problems with the DLP TV, that saved my time and money. Will come back and post the resolution.

Service provider came as scheduled (well, 4 hrs late) with new light box. 30 minute install. Like new TV. All covered by warranty that was extended by Samsung. Only remaining concern is life expectancy of new part.

SAMSUNG customer relations called 2 days later to insure all is well. Remarkable.

Username: Realtime

Laurel Springs, NJ United States

We purchased a Samsung HLR5067W in April '06. The dreaded black bar appeared down the left side of the screen in October '07. In our case it is about 1.5" wide and does not taper as others described. This was the first web search I did re: the problem and it makes me feel a little better to know we are not alone and there is hope that Samsung might back their product even beyond the warranty period. I'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes. This thread gives me the info and ammo I need! If they don't help then I'll be signing onto the class action suite mentioned above.

Username: Ashokhv

My TV was fixed by Samsung, 5 days before the scheduled date, The Tech was too good explained the issue and parts replaced. Once again Thanks to this forum, and Rep "Barbara" I spoke with Samsung. Samsung stood by its product, great customer support.

//We purchased HLS-5087WX/XAA from circuit city 6/17/2006, and could boast of its performance, with excellent colors. There are lot more I liked about this DLP TV from Samsung, good reviews about Samsung etc.. In last week or so, started to notice a vertical dark transparent band on the right corner of the screen. Started to bother me and my decision to buy Samsung, called the customer support , realised the TV is out of standard warranty and (company)extended warranty. There was no additional warranty I had bought, scared me the hell,I had to invest money again to fix this. Called the Executive Customer Relations (ECR) team at Samsung: 1-800-522-7341, listed in this forum, spoke to very polite and professional lady "Barbara", explained the problem with the TV,she took few minutes to gather all the information I had related to the purchase , and I was honest to mention I registered this product online only last night after fearing of the expense. She made my day by assuring to extend the warranty to extra 3 more months Dec-17, and set up a date for tech to come and fix on Nov-21st at no cost.
Great way for company Samsung to stand by its product, and a great customer support from Barbara, Thanks to people here who have logged their problems with the DLP TV, that saved my time and money. Will come back and post the resolution.//

Username: R_yeaman

I thought I would chime in on this thread as it has been very helpful for me. I have a 50" DLP HL-R5078W and am experiencing this same problem. I bought this TV in May 2006. The 1 inch shadow came up on the left of my screen about 2 months ago. I read this thread and took advise. The rep I talked to did not want to help me at first. But after explaining to him that I have stood behind their product for years and have talked others into buying this TV and wanted to continue to do so; he said he would try to extend my warantee. I am supposed to fax my bill of sale to him tomorrow and he is going to call me back. I hope that they stand behind their product. I will keep everyone informed.

Username: Realtime

Laurel Springs, NJ United States

As a follow-up to my post above - I am happy to report that Samsung took care of our prblem DLP TV even though the warranty expired in March '07. I called the cust. service on Monday, gave them all the info (model #, serial #, Version #, etc) I didn't complain- just stated the facts and they immediately extended the warranty to cover the problem. They scheduled the repair for Wed. and 2 days after reporting the problem we had a brand new complete light engine (incl. new bulb). I let the cust. service guy ("Mike") know I waas very pleased w/ their willingness to ext. the warranty and he said they do that for all "big ticket items".

Now our only "issue" is that when it is not a full wide-screen view (eg, when the 4:3 ratio screen is showing) the picture is a little wider at the bottom than it is at the top. I pointed it out to the repair guy and he said that it is "normal" for DLPs - I told him it wasn't like that before but he claimed they are all like that "you probably just didn't notice it before" - and "a 5mm difference top to bottom is "within spec"." The picure is perfectly fine - brilliant in color and contrast when viewing it in HD wide screen.

Any one have any experience w/ this issue? Is it "normal"?

Otherwise I am ery satisfied w/ Samsung's willingness to extend the warranty.

Username: Codesloth

I have a problem which is a bit different. I have lost the right half of the screen:

With input:
Upload

Without input:
Upload

Any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it without a service call?

Username: Codesloth

Found an answer in a different thread:

"FYI

Sounds like the mirror box collapsed. Samsung will replace it at no charge."

Username: Wattsup

Here is one more for the dreaded black vertical line list. Mine is a HL-R5667W with about a 3" wide line on the left side of the screen. TV was purchased in Oct '05 and we noticed the problem in Dec '07.
I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and explained the problem last week. The CSR wanted to know if I had dropped the set or hit it with something really hard. I said no. She said irregardless she knew what the problem was and gave me the name of the two authorized service centers in my area. She said I would need to have a repairman come our to "re-align the mirrors." Samsung must have issued a new service bulletin on this issue after reading the Q-Tip alignment method posted in this thread. Ha,Ha
My wife phoned one of the repair shops and they quoted $800 to replace the light engine.
Based on the previous posts, I'll contact ECR about further consideration from Samsung but our set is 26 months old not 12 to 18 months like most of the ones listed in this thread, so I won't hold my breath.
Considering the number of people affected by this problem this definitely appears to be a product recall type issue.
I'll post the results of my ECR call next week.
In regards to the class action law suit mentioned several posts above, the best anyone can expect to get from this is a $100 coupon towards the purchase of a new Samsung TV. Everyone knows CLS are a joke for the consumer. The lawyers will make millions and those affected by the issue will get notta.

Username: Jhferry

Had this same thing come up right in the middle of the Superbowl.

I just called the Executive Customer Service number and even after telling her about the class action lawsuit, volunteering to provide proof of the class action and these threads, she would not hear it.

I have 2 Samsung TV's one is a 1080p 40" and the other is the 5087 and I also have the i760 phone registered and she would not help me at all. She denied there was any sort of problem and said all she could so was extend my warranty 3 months but that still would be short by a week. I told her you wont cover me for one friggin week? I have to get a quote but I may be going this on my own because my Wife is furious that I bought a TV that broke in a little over a year that was $2200.

I suggest you call back and eventually ask for a supervisor. That seems to be a pattern with these calls. In my case, the rep went to a supervisor without my prompting and came back with a satisfactory answer.

Username: Julielorene

Aiea, Hawaii USA

We have a 50" Samsung HLS5087WX, purchased in May 2006. We have had the black shadow on the right side of our screen for a while. My husband is in the military and our TV was in storage for a while. We didn't notice the shadow at first because it was apparently very small, but it grew to about 8 inches. I figured that Samsung wouldn't do anything because our TV was not in warranty but after reading these threads I encouraged my husband to call. He did and they said that there was nothing they could do, so I called back and they told me the same story, that they can only extend the warranty for 90 days if the TV is still under warranty and is about to run out. But I asked to talk to a manager, "even though she was going to tell me the same thing." (SAMSYNG REP) When I did talk to the manager she said that they would fix the problem, and that we didn't need to worry about anything. It is a known problem with Samsungs DLP TV's. The repair man has already called me and we are getting our TV fixed next week.

Username: Chellekn

Update - DO NOT THROW YOUR OUT OF WARRANTY TV OUT - Samsung called me about the tv I purchased in 2004 - and was WAY out of warranty 11/2007 when it broke - they said they were following up about my call for service in Nov. How did the repair go -I told them the tv was junk- I did not repair it and that I did not appreciate them reminding me about it. They transferred me the escalation department (or whatever it is called) and again they said no way would they do anything- LONG STORY - but they eventually agreed to buy the parts if I paid the labor - they hooked me up with the guy that replaced the light engine and something else - can't rememeber - and it is fixed for 200 bucks - lucky thing I kept the tv

Username: Markmc

Samsung just extended the warranty on my HL-R6168WX/XAA, purchased 11/9/05, to July x, 2008. Thanks for the info and support on the light tunnel problem.

Tech came out and fixed the light tunnel, but says there's a chip in the color wheel that needs to be fixed (for $390). Is there any history on out of warranty repair of color wheels? Geez, this set doesn't have probably 300 hours on it!

Username: Westdc

Ammissville, VA USA

Based on Commets already, I have a DLP Hlr6178 12/2005 purchase, I guess from reading that I have a Light engine problem. My Picture turns Green-If I grab the connection (at the rear) and shake'em the color comes back -Sometimes it will return to green and either I move the set or grap the cables and it corrects. NOT bad for a High dollar Set.

I will no longer purchase anything Samsung ever again, Like others, before I pay $1K on repairs, I'll buy a Sony and save money.

Username: Joelb

I have a HLS 5687W and about 2 months after my warrenty ran out I noticed a 3 inch transparent band down the right side of my TV. I called samsung and they didn't want to do anything to help except send somebody out to look at it at my expense. So I said forget it and I would wait untill I had money to fix it after hearing it might cost over $1000. After looking up the problem today I came across this site and called Samsung again. Thank god! At first the rep didn't know what I was talking about untill I started explaining the problem to her and she did remember an artical she read about a similar problem, after looking into it further she found that many are having this problem and told me it is covered by them. She then transferred me to service and they are to be calling in the next day or so to schedual a time to come out and fix it. The repair center mentioned that this special deal is only available untill December of 2009. GREAT NEWS!

Username: Delax

I bought a HL-R5667W in June 2006. It worked flawlessly until a week ago when I noticed a one inch black band on the left hand side. I have a tech from Circuit City due to come over tomorrow to troubleshoot since I purchased an extended warranty. Will keep the group posted on what the tech says. On second thoughts I should have called Samsung and asked them to fix it but I guess I will be satisfied so long as the TV is fixed whether by Circuit City or Samsung. This thread was awesome in terms of information and experiences posted by everyone. Keep up the good work.

Forgot to get back to you guys. The tech had left my set apart until I made a decision whether or not to let them replace the color wheeel. Samsung refused to cover the wheel, even though it had very few hours on it, and they would not let me talk to the tech (who had mentioned to my wife that he might be able to do the wheel for free. I told Samsung to forget the wheel repair (since I knew from this forum that it was a job I could do), that I was fine with just the light tunnel repair, and to have the tech come put my TV back together. When the tech called me to schedule his visit, I told him what had gone on with the Support folks, and he said he could help me. He ultimately took a latest gen wheel out of another broken TV, and installed it in my set. All's well! If i had been home when he did it I would have tipped him $40-$50. WARNING: I think the color wheel damage was done when the set was turned off and then right back on - I remember hearing a sound like a rotating assembly rubbing up against something. When you kill the power, let the TV sit for at least 20-30 seconds before you turn it back on.

Username: Westdc

Ammissville, VA USA

I purchased mine back in late 2005 in June I noticed the light tunnel issue, while having other problems, Screen going Green the back to normal color at all times during use.

I contacted Samsung,Complained, they recomenned a service center. They (Samsung) replaced the light tunnel for free, I had to pay for the ditgal board +labor for that, MY set is two years out of warranty. Total repair was $518. The labor and light tunnel was $300 (Samsung) paid that, Thanks to all on this thread for input.

Username: Thecombatwombat

This thread was very helpful, so thanks to everyone who posted. I noticed this issue last night.

Today, my experience was much easier than a lot of yours. I gave my model and serial number, described the issue very briefly, and the first tier rep immediately said this was a defect acknowledged by Samsung, and they would cover it from an in home service center a few miles from my home.

Haven't scheduled with the service center yet, but total time on the phone with Samsung was under 10 minutes, including hold time. Fantastic. My set is an HLR-4266w.}

Username: Champt02

My HLR-5078W was purchased in Feb 2006 and the dark strip just appeared on the left side of the screen last week. I called Samsung and they told me it was misaligned. I told the guy that was not the problem and he said a service center would contact me. The service center contacted me about 4 hours later. The owner said if it is the mirror or light tunnel it will be fixed at no cost to me. The repair man comes tomorrow. We will see is Samsung actually backs up the problem. This thread has been very helpful!

Username: Ummlee

I have a hlr6178wx 61" dlp that I purchased in july 2006, I now have the same dark band on the left side of the screen I thought it might be the lamp so I replaced that and it did not help so after reading the posts I contacted samsung and I am now on the wait list with my transaction # for them to find a service center in my area. I live in rural south Ga UGH sooo they said give them a week to call me back I have my fingers crossed. Thanks to all for the posts it really helped
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us