Samsung 56" DLP 1080p (HL-S5687W) or Sony 55" LCD 1080p (KDS-55A2000)

Username: Gm4x4

Post Number: 1
I thought I would get some opinions from those who are not tyring to make a buck off of me. I am trying to decide on either of the 2 HDTV's that I have listed above. I have heard from so many salesman in the last week and none of their statements seem to match. Thoughts on which is better - DLP or LCD ?

Username: Cbcooldad

Post Number: 2
Ron,
I am no expert by any means but while I was in the market for a big screen, I was more impressed with the DLPs. However, now I have the "Red Cloud", that could run into some bucks$$, maybe I should have went with a LCD. The LCDs didn't come as large as I thought I needed.
Also, I do not know how true it is but I hear from a Sears salesman that sometimes the liquid changed in an LCD if the picture gets bad but I have a hard time buying that!
http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/dlptelevision.htmlhttp://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/dlptelevision.html

Bronze Member
Username: Potentialjvcowner

Post Number: 11
Change the liquid in an LCD? Wow, that's incredible. If you go to their auto department for a new battery, do they tell you that you need to change the plutonium in your fuel injectors?

:-)

There is liquid in an LCD display, of course, but the display is sealed and can never be opened once it leaves the factory. The liquid [crystal] does determine many of the characteristics of the display, and different displays use different formulations (you can trade off things like viewing angle and response time). But once it's manufactured, that's it, and anyone who talks about "changing the liquid" is trying to blow smoke up your ***. Very occasionally, the "seal" on an LCD display will fail (usually it ruptures due to pressure if the display is allowed to become really, really hot and the liquid expands too much ... sometimes this is seen in auto applications (closed cars in the summer can reach 180 degrees inside). Even when this happens, there is no practical way to fix it, the display just has to be trashed & replaced.

[I'm a degreed EE and have been an LCD display product manager, this is a field that I know something about.]

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 47
Barry, I want to upgrade to a DLP from a big screen hdtv with crts. I am waiting a while for the Samsung with the LED instead of a lamp to come down in price. Bob

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 931
No...Barry...not "changing the liquid". The intended meaning was "the liquid changed" or altered in the LCD. A yellowing occurs over time with exposure to heat and light. (ie: the lamp)
There is evidence of this under extreme conditions!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1697%2C1049289%2C00.asp

Worms...can of...:-)

Username: Labjr

Post Number: 10
I think the salesman was maybe talking about changing the liquid in CRT projection TV tubes. They use some glycol mixture which cools the CRT tubes. It can get cloudy over time and affect the picture. This actually can be changed.

Username: Mrage

Post Number: 10
sony 100% samsung is junk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us