36'' tube-type Sanyo, no picture or sound

Username: Drwdennis

Post Number: 1
Our Sanyo 36-inch is abut 7 years old and recently began acting up. This was intermittent at first, but now happens on every startup. On startup, there is no picture or sound, just a grainy black/gray screen and white noise. However, the channel display will work. If we just leave it on, after a few minutes it will suddenly work fine. It sometimes cuts out again as we are watching, and if we leave it on, the picture and sound return again. When the picture and sound are working, they are perfect. As time goes on, it seems to be taking longer and longer after startup for normal function to return. I would appreciate any ideas, because I love this TV and don't want to junk it!!
Thanks.

Username: Dugan

Post Number: 1
I have a slightly similar problem with a 32" Sanyo TV, approx. 5-6 years old. For a couple of months it seemed to take awhile to turn on via the remote control, but would immediately turn on manually using the button on the TV.

Then a couple weeks ago it suddenly would not turn on at all. I've plugged it directly into a verified working outlet, I've tried all the remotes and the manual button, but it won't turn on at all now. Someone suggested using canned air to blow out dust out of any/all areas...this did not appear to do anything.

I would also appreciate any ideas, as I love this TV and don't want to get rid of it, either!!

Thanks!!

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply! Our problem is the same whether we use the remote or the manual. We're considering calling a service person in to fix our tv; if we do that and find out what the problem is, I'll post it. Good luck, the Sanyo's are really great tv's for the money.

Post Number: 3
Well, we finally called in a service tech and he says it's a bad tuner. It's going to run about 250.00 but we'll give it a try.

Post Number: 2
I really hope that works for you. I'm curious, are you going to have to lug the thing in for service, or is a technician going to make a house call? I also have a 36" TV (not a Sanyo, but something similar) that I bought in 1998, and it's quite the heavy thing to move. (The delivery guys even complained when they delivered it!)

Post Number: 4
Well, the TV guy came with a helper and took it away, and as promised brought it back today all fixed. The cost was 325.00 including new tuner and (he said) 2 new rectifiers. A lot of money, when you can get some nice new TV's for not much more than that. But, we like the 36 and don't want to go plasma, HD, etc, because then we're into the thousands, and the service plans alone for those things cost a lot too, and you need a service plan because they do need fixing and fixing them is expensive.
So, we'll see what happens, hopefully we can get another 4 or 5 years out of this thing and get our moneys' worth.

Post Number: 3
Congratulations on getting your TV back, that's excellent. I hope you *do* get at least another 4-5 years out of it.

I still haven't had my 32" Sanyo seen by a 'professional' yet. I managed to move it to the floor for easier access the other day (heavier than I remembered when I first got it), and put a smaller TV in its place for now. When I moved it, there was a little rubber mesh thing left on the TV stand in its place; I'm not sure what it's for, nor if it could possibly have had any impact on the TV suddenly not turning on (I doubt it).

Anyway, I'm glad that you got your problem resolved, and have your 36" TV back!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us