Settling/Crackling noise with Samsung 61'DLP

Username: Azjenn

Post Number: 1
We have the Samsung 61' 1080i and have what I call loug settling noises constantly. It sounds like the plastic is getting hot and expanding. If you put your hand on the back of the tv it will make the same noise. Has anyone had this problem? If so what was done to correct it? We've had the repair man out her once for it and he said if it still happened he might have to come back and place felt inside? We've already had the board replaced once because the tv kept shutting off all the time. We've only had the tv a few mos and are having way too many problems.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 927
The manner in which the cover screws were tightened has a lot to do with it.

Silicon grease on the cover seal will shut it up no matter what.

I don't know which DLP you have, but it's not an interlaced (1080i) display. It's a progressive (P )display. It will accept any input signal, but will only display a progressive resolution.
If it's an HL-S 6187W or 88W it's a 1080P display. Same with an HL-R 6178W. Otherwise, it's a 720P display.

Username: Krawdd

Post Number: 3
Hey FYI,you look like one of the most knowledgable folks at this site.I'm wondering why you don't rate these TV sets as you see most realiable.And if you're just a repair person,which ones do you see the least.With all the horror stories I'm thinking about just going with a CRT.Any input is helpful.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 929
Well...I don't want to start anything.

I'm just not a fan of D-ILA LCOS technology...yet. That pretty much cancels out JVC and Sony. LCD...too small for me. Plasma is too expensive. You see me on the Samsung threads 99.9%. I've seen the price of a 720P DLP drop from $3500 to $1200 for a 50 inch. You can get a 50 inch 1080P for $1500 today! I've owned 4 out of 7 generations of DLP and will probably have an LED DLP next year if the price drops.

All of these micro-displays have a fabulous picture and all have problems from time to time. I say...get what you want, but get the 5 year extended warranty and keep a spare lamp on hand.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us