LCD vs Plasma - wondering which to purchase?

Username: Eldamari

Post Number: 2
Use: Primarily watching DVDs, cable television, and playing video games.
Size: 40"s or larger
$ to spend: ~ $2000.00 US

Main deterrent when thinking about purchasing a plasma would be the image retention (burn in) issue. I've read horror stories about it happening so easily even after careful steps were taken to avoid it.
*On the flipside newer models appear have some type of "white flash" utility which eliminates the "burn-in", but shortens the life-span of the tv?

Main advantages when thinking of plasma > lcd would be the field of vision & instantaneous picture response.

-I've read some LCD brands claim to have 170 degree viewing angle, but have also heard its more like 45 degrees on each side when not directly infront of the tv. Plasma on the other hand has virtually a 180 degree viewing angle w/o loss of picture quality.
-Also read some LCD brands claim to have 6-8ms response times when in reality its more like 10-12ms - is this really adequate for gaming, especially in first person shooters in comparison to the instantaneous response you recieve with a plasma?

Just thought I'd try to get some clarification as well as a few opinions in to the captivating world of flat-panel shopping.

Thanks in advance

ps I was 95% sold on the Samsung LN-S4095D and then the question popped in to my head, "Why not plasma?"

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Post Number: 11
I'd say you have some more thinking to do. There are important details beyond plasma vs LCd--such as resolution, contrast, and amount of ambient light in the viewing room. And distance from viewier to display.

Playing games really shouldnt occur on a display used in a home theater, even its just a home theater by equipment only.

Whenever I see someone wanting to use a display for video games- I pretty much say-- go with whatever. Becuase all the things that go into picture quality nuances that make a difference to the HT enthusiast go out the window.

I suppose you would ahve to consider PS3 vs xbox360 and resolution or soemthing. COlor accuracy becomes meaningless.

Plasmas in the residential setting dont burn in FYI- unless you purposefully try and do it. I have only seen in it on 24/7 displays in train stations and airports and thye likes with static schedules on the screen for days/months/years.

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 67
Casey:
A few of my friends have had Plasmas now for 2 years with no burn in at all. They watch TV and DVD in a home theater setting. I think that 45" and under is good LCD territory and 40" and over is Plasma territory. So that 40 to 45" range can be either technology.

Since you were looking at the Samsung LN-S4095D you may also want to look at the SONY (Ok I said it.. kick me) DKL-40XBR2. This is a new SONY that my EYES tell me is in my "badda-bing" zone for picture and styling. It is an LCD but may be outside of your price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Ooops that is KDL-40XBR2... my bad dumb fingers...

Silver Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 111
Now THAT is one hell of a TV! But if it's a little high for you ($2800) then go for the for SONY KDL-40V2500 V-Series for $500 less. Both of those are awsome TVs!

Username: Eldamari

Post Number: 3
Arty-G,
o my goodness. That Sony you listed is pretty badda-bing if I do say so myself. Unfortunatly ~$3k for a 40" is a tidbit overpriced IMO. I am pretty cemented on gettin the Samsung you have, but now my evil half is questioning why only 40"? Why not go for the LN-S4695D =/ .../sigh decisions dicisions...

On the flip side I am lookin to purchase a new dvd player to go along with my new tv. I see you have the Oppo DV-970HD and highly recommend it. Anything else catching your eye these days aside from the Denon DVD-2390? I'm lookin to stay around the price range of the Oppo fyi.

Sadly I must confess I do not even have a AV sound system yet. My house-mate does & I do plan on using his, but if I could find one for a decent price I'd probably pick it up since it already feels like christmas. Any suggestions as far as sound systems go that is in the same price range as the other pieces I plan on buyin?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Casey:
If your wall or room can accomodate it then go with the larger unit. I would have done the same but my better half demanded that what I could get "needed" to fit into our former TV armoire which has front doors to "hide" the contents. We have an old home so she did not want the room to be techno looking.

The world of HDMI DVD upconverting players (single disk) is pretty vastly populated. The DVD-2390CI is rather high end IMHO. Alot can be found for ~100 to ~150.

I think a good 100 watt per channel system is what you would want for a surround system. Again I do not know what your room size is but DVD and Music are the more demanding and rich audio sources. Broadcast TV sound is not as rich.

I personally had a Denon 1906 and loved it, it was 85 watts and did it all. I now have the Denon 2807 and also love it and it is not that much different in performance from the 1906. There are other major brands out there as well like Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer and Sony. All those lines have a full range of product offerings.

Speakers are quite another matter... personally I have had my B&W DM302's (6 of them) and a B&W CC3 center channel and a B&W AS300 subwoofer for more than 10 years now. These were and are very fine speakers. They are no longer made (having been replaced by the DM 601 S3 series) but were considered primo back in the day. I still consider them that, for my room size. Both Paradigm (sp?) and B&W make great speakers today and that is something that over the years you can work into. Figure on ~$800 for the 3 fronts and ~$700 for a good subwoofer. You can add the surrounds and backs at a later date one at a time as funds allow.

This all adds up, so the AVR system and 4 speakers could be a $2000+/- layout. Not trivial. Speaker wires and stands/mounts (if needed) could add to that as well.

You do not have to get this AV stuff all at once and I would suggest you grow into it as it were. The TV you are looking at has a fair set of onboard speakers with a SPS system that simulates to some extent surround sound. Check other TV brands as well... take a look at Fujitsu... they make a nice plasma however I do not know the cost. My local home theater shop displays them, ahem.. without the price tag.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Tommy:
That KDL-40XBR2 (Sony) is a pretty impressive unit and they also make a bit of a larger one as well. That is the Sony high end LCD offering. It does have "schwanggg" but it was too big to fit into my armoire measuring 44+" for the 40" model. The glass enclosure added the extra width. There are apparently colored bezel trim units which change the look of the TV for designer purposes. Again more schwanggg.

Silver Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 113
Arty: I was reading your post. They still make 300 series B&W speakers. I own 600 series speakers for my system but i had considered getting the 300s.

also in reference to screen size for my room i would not want any bigger than 40". it is the perfect size for me, any bigger would look weird in my living room (IMO). I have a 11 foot viewing distance from the "sweet spot". i can also see the TV very well from the kitchen, the viewing angle is awsome.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Tommy:
The "new" 300 B&W series is the 303 series with the metallic tweeter and sans the pyramid conic back end equalization chambers of the DM 302. The good ole 302 are only available in the used market and a fine pick up they are for the savy and cost concious audiophile. Typical selling price on ebay is about $90~ per speaker or so sans shipping fees.

Were I to replace my old B&Ws I would get what you have, the DM 601 S3 and the LCR60 S3 center. But since the vast majority of my listening is TV audio those old jobbers do the trick. If I listened to more music then I would probably dig deep for the new ones.

Have you seen the 40XBR2 running? They were playing Blu_Ray Mission Impossible III on in from a Samsung Blu-Ray player in 1080. Looked mighty impressive to me. It should for the price.

Silver Member

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 114
I see, yea I use the DM 601 S3s for fronts and an LCR 600 S3 for a center. I also have the ASW 600 for my sub and for rears I went with the M1s. Ive got the Rotel RSX 1057 surround reciever. The whole package cost about $3500 or so; I absolutely love the sound for music and movies. I watch alot of DVDs so I wanted great surround.

I did see the XBR2 running and it is beautiful. If I had more money to throw at a TV i would have deffinately gotten it. The best flat panel picture (or any picture for that matter) I have ever seen was the Pioneer Elite 50" 1080p display. Walking around looking at all the TVs when you come to that one, it makes the rest look like crap. Ive seen it running a Blue Ray demo disc on a Samsung Blue Ray and also on a High Def channel feed. The picture literally gave me goose bumps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us