Difference between 1920x1020 and 1366x768

Username: Malakaii

Post Number: 6
I'd like to know what the difference between those 2. I really feel bad that I only have 1366x768 instead of 1980x1020. Can someone tell me if there's really that big difference because I always think you cant get any clearer than what I already see in my HD tv channels...

Bronze Member
Username: Chico

Post Number: 70
you mean 1920x1080p
you should check this thread https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/227525.html

i kind of agree w/ marc sherman but as we speak blu-ray or ps3 from sony will be made available and they are 1080p format but you have to have hdmi connector that is compatible.

Post Number: 7
Yes that is what I meant okay I guess for now I should be happy of what I have its just that I always wanted to have the best of everything I guess that is not possible for the time being I will enjoy what I have and hopefully in the near future I will have the 100" LCD. My projector is not bad It can get to 300" but its DLP I'd like to sell it anyone interested?

Username: Rysa3

Post Number: 8
It will be awhile before there is a lot of 1080P content available to watch. 1920 x 1080 probably will start to make sense in 2008 when a lot of hi def dvds are around and hdmi 1.3 gets worked out a bit more. Prices will likely fall as well although with a 102 inch LCD ( there sint actually a 100 inch one I dont belive) money may not be an object for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Marc thank you for you comment that made feel a lot better now becaues its so hard for me to get satisfied of what I have I always wanted to have the best and the first to have it but in the near future I would love to have the 100" LCD but for now Ill enjoy my DLP projector like I said it can get up to 300"

Username: Mrhookup

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 1
Big difference between 1366 X 768 and 1920 X 1080. 1366 X 768 will output at 720p. 1920 X 1080 outputs 1080p. 1080p is twice the resolution of 1080i.Someone here talked about the lack of 1080p material. Thats not really an issue since 1080p displays upscale signals to 1080p. There are, however differences in the quality of 1080p scalers. There is already something that will beat 1080p. Its called 1440p, and it requires a different type of HDMI cable. As usual, the best keeps getting outdone. IMO, JVC technology destroys DLP (Doesn't Look Pretty) since JVC uses 3 chips & NO color wheel. 99% of all DLP's are single chip with color wheel. (Rainbow effects). JVC's RPTV is called HDILA. JVC Projector's are called DILA. Sony, not to be outdone, and thinking that they never want to be outdone, came out with SXRD, which is nothing more then HDILA, with a miniscule difference. JVC has been doing 3 chip longer then just about anybody else. Sony doesn't want anyone to think that they are copying JVC. It is easy to obtain a patent using another technology simply by changing one aspect of that technology. DLP is DLP, no matter who makes it. Everybody uses the Texas Instruments chip. No one else is allowed to make it. What differentiates DLP from any other DLP? The glass used? Scaling? The dumbos at CC or BB don't know any better. They push DLP.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 28
JVC- D-ILA dipslays have their flaws which have been discussed in detail in issues of Sound and Vision and the perfect vision over the past year. Old hat.

Converting a 1080i to 1080P ( which is NOT an upconversion by the way--just deinterlacing) is NOT equivalent to a native 1080P source.

Also the idea that more is better is completely flawed. A 480i DVD will look like doodoo on a "1440" display. It will look much better on an 840 x 480 display, and in fact, does. Upscaling can never imporve an image beyiond its origianl true resolution, unless the original equipment is inferior. Its like saying the MOna Lisa would look better if we upscaled it.

Cable HD is limited to 1240 and is nowhere near 1920 x 1080. So no true HD content from DISH/DIRECT TV/COMCAST HD. DVDs are of course 480i in origin and standard def TV is just that. The only true content is either rom hard drive loops ( The Living Sea for instance), That Wmp4 whatever from Microsoft ( go find some and let me know), and, of course High Def DVDs. IN the last instance, which is relevant, you get and need a hi-def DVD player for Blu-Ray or HD-DVDs. These of course, need no upscaling.

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 2
Right now, I wouldn't touch HD DVD or Blu Ray til the dust settles and they battle it out for the next year or so. One things for sure; they won't both make it. "JVC- D-ILA dipslays have their flaws which have been discussed in detail in issues of Sound and Vision and the perfect vision over the past year. Old hat" (Marc Sherman). Well then, tell me what's better then the HDILA? I'm a Cedia member. seen everything there at the cedia shows. You aren't telling us what is better.
"Also the idea that more is better is completely flawed. A 480i DVD will look like doodoo on a "1440" display. It will look much better on an 840 x 480 display, and in fact, does. Upscaling can never imporve an image beyiond its origianl true resolution, unless the original equipment is inferior. Its like saying the MOna Lisa would look better if we upscaled it."
I'm not saying more is better, but who wants to watch 480i or 840 X 480?
"Upscaling can never imporve an image beyiond its origianl true resolution, unless the original equipment is inferior."
Well then, you must know more then the great instructors at Cedia, because thats not the case in all of the HD classes that I have taken. Particularly at the Cedia Expo in Denver this past September.
"The only true content is either rom hard drive loops ( The Living Sea for instance), That Wmp4 whatever from Microsoft ( go find some and let me know)"
In that case, then there is no 1080p content; thats more like test material. Who is going to watch that? Why should I go and find it; you find it since you brought it up. We watched movie content at Cedia which was upscaled from 480p, 720p. 1080i to 1080p >looked unbelievable. Also, if 1080p is double the resolution of 1080i, its more then just de-interlacing. Not all scaling is the same.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 29
Jeff- its great that you custom install Home Theater equipment if thats what you do. But everything I have said is party line on the money. 1080i to 1080P is a deinterlacing step. No upscaling at all. Just like a 480i DVD deinterlaced causes it to be viewed as a 480P signal. I am glad you took the initiative to go to some CEDIA courses and if you should go to the next CES where I have been going for years then we can meet for coffee and go over some of the stuff if you want. I dont think you understand very much about display technology and you are embarassing yourself just to let you know.

As far as who wants to watch 480P content?-- WEll--anybody and everybody it seems-- thats what all of todays DVDs are. What do you watch anyway? You wouldnt touch HD-DVDs but you dont watch standard ones either?-- Guess you dont care for home theater. And you were clearly saying more is better.

AS an FYI- the human eye loses its ability to tell the difference between resolutions as we move away from a screen-- contrast is much more important.

AS far as a better display than a JVC D-ILA-- the Sony version of the same technology is MUCH better-- even though JVC got it from Sony. SED is the best display technology now due to infinite black levels.

Anyway, I won't debate with you because, frankly, its not a very even discussion. Try not to rip off too much money on mark ups from your customers, if you do install HT ( which I find hard to believe given your lack of video signal display knowledge).

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 30
PS- Your comments about Sony and JVC are really funny. JVC licenses the technology from Sony and Sony owns a chunk of JVC FYI. Man-- you need to really watch what you say before opening your mouth.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 31
1080P is twice the resolution of 1080i? I can't even believe you said that Jeff. The more lines I read in your posts, the more I realize you basically do not understand video signal. G-d forbid we actually start talking about video versus film in home theater technology- you would be completely lost. Really scary my friend- that you install HTs. WOW. I am done.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 32
For those interested- Matsushita owns JVC ( which isnt doing so well actually) but JVC sourced the LCos technology from Sony- Sonys implementation ( SXRD) is the better of the two.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I really like my Acer 42" LCD but I'd like to know what others people opinion on the resolution between 1920 and 1366 is there really a big difference because sometimes when I watch on my Acer I think nothing could be brighter than what I already have Please let me know...}

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 3
Marc: I guess its OK for you to wait til 2008 to watch native 1080p, right? Duh, you think prices will fall? It must take a genius to figure that out. Marc: What do you do for a living? (Don't quit your day job). What I do for a living is not your concern. What do you mean by "party line"? Incidently, I stopped going to the CES show back in the mid 80's because, at that time, they started letting anyone in. Besides displaying HT, Audio, etc, you could buy trinkets, tupperwear; you name it. Thats not professional. Education there was almost non- existant at the time. We switched to Cedia, which is far more professional, and has much more, much better education. We left CES along time ago, and never looked back. Sure, Vegas is a nice place to go, but thats not why we go. Actually, you are wrong about 480p output on DVD's. There are quite a few DVD players (non HD) that have 720p output. More is better? You said that, not me. I do, however agree about contrast ratio. The latest Dila sets from JVC have 10,000:1 contrast. Have you seen higher contrast then that? Marc: I don't know where you get your education? Sound & Vision magazine? As far as what you say about JVC, Sony, remember, no matter who owns what; Hdila was on the market years before SXRD, and its nothing more then Hdila or LCOS technology. Its your opinion that Sony is better then JVC. Incidently, if your spelling is any indication of your knowledge, you are in trouble, my friend! Ownersip is no indication of anything. D & M Holdings owns Marantz & Denon. Now, the same Company that owns Niles also owns Speakercraft. (They were arch enemies. Polk & Definitive Tech is now owned by the same Company. Sandy Gross was a part owner of Polk Audio, who went on to create Def Tech. These companies still don't like each other, but they co-exist under the same ownership. The new owner's don't change anything, as long as they continue to be successful. etc, etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us