Samsung HL-S5087W - 16:9 looks like 4:3

Username: Rmfin730

Post Number: 1
I just bought a 50" Samsung DLP. It was originally hooked up to the cable box using component cables. The picture came in well and the 16:9 took up the entire screen just as it should. The 4:3 took up the middle of the screen as it should.

The other day I decided that I wanted to upgrade and use HDMI cables for the telvision. so went to Best Buy and bought a 3ft HDMI cable - plugged this into the cable box and TV. Turned it on an all of a sudden the 16:9 looks like 4:3 and the 4:3 is really shrunk and distorted.

Is this something just happens when you use an HDMI cable or is there something fucked up with my TV? Have tried about everything I can think of to get this fixed but not working.

Oh yea - I plugged back in the compnent cable and it did not change it back to normal....

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 903
It's the format in the menu of the cable box!
Why would you blame the set?

Post Number: 2
I have looked in the cable box menus and have not seen anything in there about aspect ratio. It worked find though before I swtiched over to an HDMI cable. Also the HD channels look fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 35
When I switched to the HDMI cable I had to re-program the cable box. You have to shut the cable box of and hold 2 buttons down and it walks you through a set-up menu.

Post Number: 3
Well I think that I am making progress. I got into the cable box setup menu and there was a selection for 16:9 or 4:3 etc. It was already set on 16:9 and the Y Pb Pr output was on 1080i. When I changed the resolution to 480i or 480p, the picture would take up the whole screen like it is supposed too. However on 720 or 1080 the 16:9 still looked like 4:3.

The question is now, can I figure out how to get it in 1080 resolution and have it take up the whole screen as 16:9 should do.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 905
Uhhh...if the broadcasting station isn't sending 16:9 you will not get true full screen. Something tells me that previously you had artificially stretched your 4:3 reception using the P.Size button on your tv remote. This could have made you think that everything broadcasted would fill the screen. The reality is that only primetime HD digital broadcasts and true HD channels are broadcasted in the 16:9 format. Daytime digital networks, while HD, are only sent in the old 4:3 format. All standard definition is sent in the old 4:3 format. You have a choice to unnaturally stretch the 4:3 stuff using the different P.Size options or watch it with black bars like most of us do.

I don't like stretched or expanded 4:3 myself and it took maybe a week to get used to the black bars.

Set the cable box to 16:9 and leave it there. Use the P.Size to fill the screen if you must.

This makes me wonder if you actually have digital networks from your cable provider. If so, they will have a -1 suffix. Only the primetime HD shows at night and certain sporting events will be in true 16:9 format. Fulltime HD channels like HD HBO, HD Showtime, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD are full time 16:9 format. Hope this helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us