Not able to record premium movie channels?!

Username: Kchwriter

Post Number: 1
Okay...let me make sure I have this correct!! We just bought a new DVD recorder/VHS combo. It's the Sony RDR-VX530. My husband tried to tape a movie from a premium cable channel (we have Optimum Cable) and he got a message saying it couldn't record it because it was protected. He was SURE it was Sony doing this--and that another brand recorder would record off the premium channels. But if I'm reading this board correctly, this is standard with ANY DVD recorder--due to a signal that the cable company puts out? And the only way around it is to buy a stabilizer--something like this:
http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Is that correct?? As you can tell, I know very little about this. I just need to buy the stabilizer, right??

Thanks in advance for any advice!
:o) Kristina (the techno-challenged)

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 185
It is not Sony it is the broadcast channel (HBO or Showtime I suspect). Yes the product you linked should work, just remember the programming is copyright protected for a reason, it belongs to them, not to you.

xvxvxvx

Username: Quickbeam

Post Number: 3
I have fought the VHS to DVD copy protection war (for fair use copies)so I'm weary from that. I recently tried to copy a show from the Cartoon Network to DVD and it came out wonky....widescreen/fullscreen, over and over again. I assume from my on-line reading that this is a copy protection feature.

Would a stabilizer defeat this in the future? I'm only DVD recording for time shifting and there is obviosuly no way to know what's protected and what isn't.

Username: Sonysucksass

Post Number: 3
I would like to know too - I have a Toshiba DR5 and I cannot record A THING off my (Roger's) HD digital box. EVERYTHING is "content protected". I now have a very expensive paperweight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us