HD ILA JVC - TS CL110U Lamp and Customer Service Problems

Username: Cday

Post Number: 3
I suppose I have stumbled upon this website like many others doing a search for "HD-61Z886 problems" or "TS CL110U Lamp Issues" or something to that nature. And to my surprise found an abundance of negative posts, but similar stories with regards to the quality of merchandise being sold (specifically the lamp in these TVs) and the poor customer service received.

When I purchased the TV, I was extremely happy with every bit of it. My friend bought the same TV after seeing mine shortly after, and his bulb blew about a month later (he was smart and returned his to the retailer). Mine was doing fine, so I figured it was just a fluke. Little did I know what was going on until it was too late.

Anyhow, my lamp blew a few weeks ago and after speaking to a JVC rep, they said they would have it in my mail in about a week. This pleased me, because it was still under warranty and they seemed to acknowledge the problem. I called JVC today, because my family (they cannot ship overseas so I had to have it sent to my folks back home) said they had not received the replacement lamp. Of course, this upset me, so I called JVC to see what was going on... this is when it got ugly for me.

They did not have any record of me calling (stupid me, I didn't get that person's name of who helped me originally - mainly because she seemed so nonchalant about the problem, like it was a normal thing to call in about these malfunctioning bulbs and even acknowledged there was a problem with it), so after some back and forth, the person said they can't do anything without my serial number (I was at work). I got the serial number and called them back. When I called back, the JVC rep (different guy) I spoke with was very rude and impatient, and said he couldn't do anything now unless I took the bulb out and answered questions from them. I had to prove that it blew. As I explained to him, my TV was going dim, I heard a pop sound, like it would sound when something blew, and then my picture went black and the light was flashing. Why do I need to be interrogated about the darn thing blowing? The fan works, the other parts work, it's the bulb! Anyhow...

I honestly would not have had a problem with the above, but number 1 representative did not ask me to do that, number 2 representative did not ask me to do that, and now number 3 is changing it up, being rude, and not concerned with the fact that I am getting the run around. This time I got his name, as noted in my email to JVC below.

Anyway, for $3K I expect some semblence of quality customer service and a TV that isn't going to go out on me in less than a year (much less than the 6K hours advertised (I realize I have 10K hours noted below... I thought that's what my TV advertised for)! I have owned a couple of small time items from JVC before and have not had any problems, but this has definitley swayed my view of their merchandise as well as their concern for the customer.

I'd like to know the ratio of non-malfunctioning bulbs sold to those that have malfunctioned. I also am wondering if a class action suit was ever filed.

Also, is there an actual bulb problem defect? If so, has it been fixed? If fixed, what is the correct model number for the fixed product? I wasn't able to find this exact info sifting through the hundreds of posts... Lastly, I cannot find this bulb for cheaper than 239 dollars - anyone see it out there cheaper (not discountmerchant though, because they are sold out). hmmm... wonder why they are sold out :/

Model Number: HD-61Z886
Serial Number:
Product Type: HDILA
Hours of Usage: 4 to 15 hours weekly (for 9 months) - My friend's TV blew in a month...
Manufacture date: May 2005
Purchase date: End of Dec 2005

MY EMAIL:
Inquiry Type: Service Issue
E-Mail Body: Please read this one... This will be my final email to you while I await your response to my previous inquiries. I have been reviewing several Electronic website forums which discuss the numerous problems dealing with this television's lamp and it's very disheartening to know that a nearly $3000 TV advertised for close to 10000 hours of lifetime seems to average less than 1000 hours of play. I personally do not watch that much TV, so I doubt I have logged more than a couple hundred hours and mine has blown. I am in the US Military and I am not sure what sort of revenue and support you receive from AAFES, but I know that AAFES offers many JVC products and this is one of the more expensive ones. I will be speaking with my AAFES representatives and also posting this as another issue with customer service and quality of purchase to the various forums out there. Hopefully, I do see some action on your behalf to getting a new lamp, so it's not all negative and there will be some face saved. This may not have been such an aggravating issue had your customer service rep been a little more courteous (Pete 6064) and extended me some real assistance instead of giving me the runaround for the 3rd time. I have two friends here at my base that have bought the TV, one of them, the lamp blew within a MONTH! The other, his lamp has not blown, but it's only a matter of time apparently. I do like the TV when it's working, it's a great picture, but if I knew I'd have to replace the bulb every couple hundred hours, I CAN ASSURE YOU I would not have purchased it and I can assure you that if this is the case, I will do everything in my power to protect my fellow service members from throwing away thousands of dollars, as I'm sure they would feel the same way. Now, I understand there is a solution to this lamp model with a corrected version, and I am hoping somebody contacts me and says, Mr. Stob, we have identified there is a problem with this model lamp TS-CL110Uaa and we will be sending you the corrected product. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you. A representative will contact you within five days.

Post Number: 4
I have removed the lamp and of course, it's blown, tiny little pieces of glass all over the inside...

Username: Shawzer

Post Number: 2
What luck, Friday the 13th. As luck would have it, mind went today. I've had it since June of '05, so I guess I'm lucky. Usually, I watch my set in the 'Theater Pro' mode. However, today my wife just got back from NY and I wanted her to watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith with me, great movie. Anyhow, I change the video from 'Theater Pro' to standard, as I have cathedral ceilings and the upper windows let in a little too much light today. About 20 minutes into the movie, puff, it goes out, flashing blinking lights and all. I have to admit, the surround sound was up loud and I did hear anything.

I had bought mine at Best Buy and I had the extend warranty, in home repair. It was about $300 for 3 years after the manufactures'. Since that's what a lamp cost at the time, I figured it was worth it. Well, I hear today, they will be out Tuesday. Right I said. Do you have any ideas how many football games I'll be missing . . All of them. Anyhow they could help me, save the tech scheduled for Tuesday. So I call the local Best Buy store. I asked for the manager and explained my dilemma. Not much was offered there, so I gave him something to look forward to Monday. I told him that if my TV was not repaired today, I will be at the store Monday to set up camp at their showroom, with my family, for our daily does of normal TV watching. Oh and YES, I do plan to watch the game that starts at 2000est Monday or get a new model. Let's see how that goes.

I noticed they showed 62 in stock today. http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm&Click=98

Post Number: 5
Sorry to hear about your lamp. You gave me a little chuckle though that you'll be setting up camp watching their TVs. Don't forget the pizza, popcorn and beer for the game :-) Hopefully they help you out and get a new lamp. Thanks for the discount merchant link. There's got to be a serious issue if those things are selling out like hot cakes...

Am I totally off here? Do all the rear projection TV's have bulbs that go out in about a year or less? Honestly, this is my first, but I wouldn't have bought it if I knew that. I probably would have sprang the extra cash for a plasma.

Username: Shawzer

O K, the HD crisis is over, has been. Sorry for the delay in the update. As promised, the family and I were at Best Buy Monday to discuss our programming plans for the day. The manager was impressed and had no issue discussing our options to rectify my dilemma. Perhaps it was the total Pittsburg Steelers's outfit I had on, or maybe it was just the right thing to do for Best Buy. I tend to think it wa the outfit. Nonetheless, They had offered to replace my set with a new one. It would be the difference I paid then on my set and the new one, plus a new warranty. At first I was reluctant to hear anything more than, "Mr Shaw, let's get you a TV at no charge." But when I sat and thought about it, it was a good deal. I really love the picture on the JVC DILA. It is bright and does a great job. They didn't have a 52" anymore, just the 56" 108p, pretty impressive too. It was $2500, on sale for $2200. That would be a $200 difference for me to make up, plus a $400 warranty. SO $600 for a newer set OR I could just get my lamp replaced and move on. As I pondered a bit, if this is truly and issue with the lamp, lamp engine, or whatever, it would surely blow again well before my original 4 year warranty is up. Then at that time, what technology would be out? It is clear that the $2500 price is the target for these sets as they come out. It is what mine was when it came out, but then I bargained that down to the $1999.

I elected to get my lamp replaced and recalibrate the set. The tech that called was hard to understand. It was clear, English was a 4th language. No hared feelings as I can't speak any other langue. It is awesome, again. I think, even brighter. I'm not sure. It could be the two days I had no HD. LOL. At any rate, I'll wait for the new technology.

DR Shaw
[link removed]

Username: Petezombie

Las Vegas, NV

Post Number: 1
Great News Guys I bought a JVC HD52z575 Last July fell in love instantly but today my heart was broke when my bulb blew i call jvc and they tolded me tought luck buddy well basicly but I wrote them a email basicly sayi will run they're name throught the mud on the base and las vegas paper if i do see a customer first approcate if a company make this kinda error and know about it the should care about the buyers and resolve it we'll just have to see if i will be shopping for a jvc product again

Bronze Member
Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 13
Hey guys...just wanted to let you know we have just restocked on the TS-CL110UAA (TS-CL110U) JVC lamps. As many of you know, JVC's original batch of lamps failed relatively prematurely...we have in stock the newly revised JVC LAMPS. Supply on these lamps is very scarce so I suggest everyone keep at least one as a backup. You never know when one of these things might fail!

As of 12/20/06 we have 60 in stock!

Regards,
Ali Irani-Tehrani
Discount-Merchant.com
MI Technologies, Inc.
619-710-2637 x207

direct link:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm

We ship Same Day in most cases and the price cannot be beat!

Compatible TVs are:
HD-52G456, HD-52G576, HD-52G586, HD-52G647, HD-52G657, HD-52G786, HD-52G787, HD-52G886, HD-52G887, HD-52Z575, HD-52Z585, HD-55G456, HD-55G466, HD-56FH96, HD-56G657, HD-56G786, HD-56G886, HD-56G887, HD-61FH96, HD-61G657, HD-61G787, HD-61G887, HD-61Z456, HD-61Z575, HD-61z585, HD-61Z786, HD-61Z886, HD-70FH96, HD-70G886, HD-P61R1U, HD-P70R1U, HD-56G787, HD-56G647

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 42
Ali, how do you, do we, know that these new lamps that you (and others) have are an improved version? Is there some sort of manufacturing code that provides traceability? Does JVC say something to the effect "...that after serial number such-and-such the lamps are an improved, long-life version."?

Just curious (and hopeful).

John

Username: Dunn

Denton, TX USA

Just bought my new JVC 70" rear projection. Picture was fantastic. I installed it Tuesday night, I went out of town for two days and the family loved it while I was gone. When I returned on Thursday night I wanted to see another movie on that bad boy. Pushed in the CD and the title credits started to roll, tick. That was the only sound it made. The Lamp blew. Three days is all it lasted. I'm calling for service today. We will see, not looking forward to having this dominate our Christmas weekend. After reading these reviews, please contact me with class action information, I'm ready to join.

Bronze Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 83
Steve Duran,

The place you purchased the TV (or JVC if nothing else) should and will replace the bulb at no cost. It was likely damaged during shipping. Now, that assumes that you bought a new, in the box set not a floor demo.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 50
Steve,
Take a look at the other posts about JVC and lamps. It is a continuing problem. Why buy a set with known problems?Bob

Username: Timcredible

i just bought a jvc hd-ila tv. the warranty reads like the lamp is covered for 1 year. is nobody able to get jvc to replace the lamp under warranty? thanks.

Username: Timcredible

well, this is great ;-( after a day and half i get no picture or sound on any of 3 different inputs. lamp is ok, but the unit's inputs look dead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Tim,
JVC honors the warranty but the bulbs have not been lasting as long as claimed. After the warranty you will have to pay for the bulb. I had a JVC for a couple of days, the bulb blew and I took the set back. I did a search and found this site and all the problems JVC was having. I am so glad I returned it and went with a diffeent set. Thee is anothe JVC thread on this site. Go through it and look at the problems. Bob

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
And, there are pleny of us who have had excellent experiences with their JVC sets. Bob's is one story; mine is totally different. Also, you will note that many of the lamp failure stories were due to an early batch of lamps that seemed to fall short of specification and resulted in a lot of failures. The number of complaints has reduced dramatically in recent months.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Well if Steve's lamp blew after three days on a new set I guess that is one hell of an upgrade.

Username: Dunn

Denton, TX USA

January 2nd, 2007.
Well the story goes on... I wanted my family to enjoy the set for the holidays, so I called the nearest warranty dealer listed by JVC. They indicated that it was Friday and they closed at 1:00 because of the Xmas Holiday. They did agree if I brought my bulb to them they could test it and replace it warranty if it were bad. I drove 40 miles through Dallas holiday traffic to get there, they tested the bulb and they said, no sorry that was not it, the bulb was good. I offered one of the techs two hundred dollars cash above and beyond the warranty to come look at the set. He accepted and came, I was grateful for the attempt because I knew everyone was waiting to go home for the Holiday. He brought the only part they stocked, the balist. After replacement the TV still didn't work, good try though. He ordered the power board on Tuesday and the shop has not received it yet. They re-open on Wednesday January 3rd. Will post with more information after they call. It doesn't look good for JVC, that's for sure. No picture, just the blinking red L E D.

Bronze Member
Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 14
John,

Technically the "new" lamp batches are the same part number, same lamp code, etc. The bulb itself looks to be a bit more reflective when comparing the two side by side...other than that they look and appear to be identical.

So in short, there is really no way to tell, but where ever you do decide to buy a replacement or a spare lamp, make sure that the company is either

a) aware of a lamp revision and they are stocking the unit lamps

or

b) they move a high volume of these lamps.

You don't want to get stuck with someone's old inventory!

But as I've said repeatedly on this forum and other forums, the biggest proponent to failures we've seen is from "dust and dirt." We see dozens and dozens of these TVs come in for service and the majority of the time they are in really bad shape!

I don't necessarily blame JVC (or any manufacturer for that matter) for poor build quality, but I think it's a lack of education on the consumer's side...and this we can blame the manufacturers fº Yes, DLP (or D-ILA or 3LCD) are all new technologies compared to LCD and CRT. If you place one of these TVs on carpet the internals are going to get swarmed with dust! Do you live in a dusty area to begin with? Is there a lot of dust sitting on the back of your TV set?

I dont recommend people take a compressed air can and spray it all through their TV (dont do that!!), but it does help to maintain a clean atmosphere. Go to Walmart, BestBuy or any other major store and pickup one of these air purifiers'Kone of those that ionize the air and attract dust to them! Place it close to the TV set and youll be amazed how much less dust sits on the back of the set.

Regards,
Ali Irani-Tehrani
Discount-Merchant.com
MI Technologies, Inc.
619-710-2637 x207

Username: Rmammerschuber

Rochester, NY USA

Hi folks. I have the HD-55G466 purchased March 2006 from Sam's. Within the first 3 days of ownership we started having problems with no picture or sound. The response we kept getting was fast alternating blinking lights. After a few phone calls we had a tech guy come out to repair under warrenty. Needless to say the first thing he addressed was bulb replacement which did not fix the problem. To make a long story short he took the chassis back to the shop and a week later returned with unit in hand (including original bulb) set it up and turned it on viola.

As of now 11 months later I have had no problem with the set at all. I want to clearly state that this TV runs non stop from 7AM till 2AM daily. Yes that's correct; 19 hours a day every day = 7000 hours a year. Now to my point.

The tech guy told me point blank that this choice of TV's was one of the best except there is a little known problem they had had. The repair that was made was "Repaired intermittent connection in crimp of CN307" Now I don't know if this is a related problem to the bulb life but as I said 7000 hours and going strong.

Something else I discovered is that the more often you turn the unit on and off the lower the bulb life will be. I hope someone finds this post helpfull.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwj356

San Mateo, California USA

Post Number: 45
This is an interesting posting. I did a Google search of 'JVC' and 'CN307'. I got two hits for a cable assembly, one specifically for a 'DIN Cord Assembly' that is described as a 17 pin JVC Cable. This would be a cable that uses DIN connectors. It must have been that one of the connectors had a bad crimp to a wire.

John

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 18
Guys...

Original JVC Lamp $160 from Ali....

http://www.discount-merchant.com/JVC-LCD-Projection-TV-Lamp-TS-CL110UAA-TS-CL110 U-p/jvc-ts-cl110uaa-new.htm

I bought a Samsung Lamp from them earlier this week and I got it within two days from them!

S.Jones

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 11
Robert,
I highly advise you to buy an additional lamp. We get those TV's in for service all the time and its because of an imploded lamp which is normally caused by the change in room temperature. As Ali stated above, a big problem is also dust control wich causes an unstable/unequal cooling down of the lamp which could lead to implosion. The JVC tvs generally have the little bulb made by panasonic with the M logo (matsushitsu).

But like Ali said, make sure you get it from a reliable source or you will be stuck with a lamp from someones old batch of notorious poppers!

7000 hours is a lot of hours on a lamp. You have about 1000 hours left i would say get a backup ASAP unless you want to be without a TV for a few days. We have purchased lots of lamps from discount-merchant and they seem to know what they are doing. The service is excelent every time I contact them as well. But the main attraction is the price. I don't know how they keep it so low.

Username: Rmammerschuber

Rochester, NY USA

Thanks for the advise but I'm two steps ahead of you....I have two standby's in waiting. I would definately advise others to take heed of your post and get a spare.

Username: Justint420

I just bought a JVC tv with the TS-CL110U lamp. I noticed several of you said to have some in backup. Should I just call JVC and tell them it is going out (even if it isn't yet)? I want to get as many as I can during my warranty period. I just payed alot of money for this tv, I don't want it to go out on me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Justin,

You can't call JVC and ask for one until it goes out and that is only if it goes out in the first year. Many of us, me included, have purchased a spare bulb so that when it does go out we can replace it immediately instead of waiting for transit, etc. If you ask for one under warranty, you will be required to return your original bulb for verification that it indeed burned out during the warranty period. If it did not, they will charge you for the bulb.

P. S. I have almost 20 months (average 5 - 6 hours a day) on my original bulb.

Username: Justint420

ok I understand. I bought a open-box model from Best Buy which means it has been the TV they have been showing to people. I hope it hasn't logged enough hours to be ready to go out.

Have any of had in exprience with the Best Buy service plan? Does that take care of bulbs?

Username: Omegadealer

Post Number: 4
The JVC's and Toshiba's are notorious for failing...anyone and everyone that has a set from eith manufacturer should keep a spare on hand. Particularly because these lamps do NOT have a shelf life...meaning you can store them for many years and they will be as good as new when its time to replace the lamp inside your TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us