Sooooo fustrated with samsung dlp and their CS

Username: Topaz330

Post Number: 1
ok so here alittle backround and please let me know if i have any recourse or am i SOL...
I bought my 61" HLN617W about a year and 3 months ago, with a oct 2004 build date(per samsung cs). this was my second dlp as i had a 43" samsung dlp as well. i was unaware of the dlp color wheel problems until my tv started making a high pitched whine and i looked it up on the net and found out the problems with the color wheel. Its to a point where sometimes i can't even watch the tv because its annoying to listen to. Problem is that I lost my reciept and the place I bought it from is no longer in business so there is no way to get a copy of it. I've been reading how the bearings on the color wheel on the older dlps have this problem and that they have now developed a new wheel to prevent the sound from happening. I called up samsung and they basically told me they weren't going to do anything because its out of warantee... my arguement was that i spent all this money on this tv and i don't think its fair that after alittle over a year that i should have to come out of pocket to pay for it. especially on a part that is known to be defective. I understand about not having the receipt as well but even if you go by the manufacture date which they have on their systems, it shows the tv to be 2 years from the build date. now its going to be at least acouple of months from the build date to get to a store and sold so worst case on their system, the tv would be a year and a half old. and that was my arguement to them that even if it was a year and a half to two years there is no way i should be paying for a problem that samsung has acknowledged as a defective color wheel due to the ball bearings. i called several places after the fact and they all want 300 plus the cost of the color wheel. I think this is ridiculious and samsung basically just stuck me in a corner and did you know what to me... anyone come into this problem?

Post Number: 2
sorry the model is hlp6163w not hln617w

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 880
Well...Chris...you would have an easier time with Samsung if you were responsible enough to have your receipt and were responsible enough to register your serial number online with Samsung.com for 15 total months factory warranty. It pays to read the stuff that comes with your set! It pays to purchase an extended warranty! To them, you seem like a second or third party owner with no proof of purchase. I'm not saying you couldn't be very, very, persistent and get them to spring for either the part and/or the labor. They have been known to do this past the warranty for original owners in their system. It's unfair to fault Samsung customer service for your particular circumstance. They are the best CS in the business by far!

Anyway...
The color wheel in that model has not been re-designed. If you order a replacement it will be the same type. It's not a defective part. A new one will work fine for years. It can be purchased for $182.73 at this link.
http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=BP96-00674A

You can replace it yourself with a phillips screwdriver and very little effort. There are several "How To" posts and a few links. Here's one.
http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

Clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose before you dis-assemble anything. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components, including the color wheel. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc.

You can find even more info by reading the posts or using the search.
Hope this helps you and others that read this.

Post Number: 3
Yes, I can't argue with the fact that i was irresponsible for losing the receipt and yes i can't fault samsung for that aspect. but from what i was reading the color wheel in my model was ball bearings and had been replaced with air bearings. isn't this true? also FYI you seem very knowledgable about these tv's. do you know what the issues are with the lag time when playing ps2 or xbox? i haven't tried it yet but reading about it worries me that my tv will be just as bad... any info on this?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 886
The "air bearing" color wheel was introduced in the "R" series. It's used in today's "S" series too. They are not backwards compatible. The M, N, and P series sets use the older technology. There is only one part number for your set. It is what it is.

These new micro-display sets have video processors to draw more progressive lines. The ps2 was designed for older tube type sets with half the lines. Gamers report good results with progressive rated games using component (Y,Pr, Pb) connections. It also works very nicely though, using a component to VGA adapter and going in on the set's blue computer VGA connection. Same goes for the Xbox.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us