What kind of battery backup to buy for Hitachi 50V500?

FLNewbie
Unregistered guest
I've read that most owners of these LCD models buy battery back up units to keep the bulb cooling fan going in case of power outages, but need recommendations on which type of battery backup to buy (Hitachi has never answered my questions to them). Any help would be greatly appreciated, seeing that where I live (Florida) is the lightning capital of the world with frequent outages!

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 72
i have the panny 60" and i dont have a battery
back up. Dont think its needed. I do have an
aux fan to keep things a little cooler. and a
surge protector. the tv fan only runs for a minute after shut down. sorry i'm no help.

FLNewbie
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply, but I think I must have had ESP going on because on Saturday (the 15th - I posted my question on the 12th) while watching the Nascar race my TV went out and the "bulb error" (replace bulb) red light lit on the front of my TV! So, too late for this bulb anyway....

I am using a surge protector also, but about a month ago we had a small power "hiccup" during a storm (just a blip, then came right back on), and I wonder if that stressed the bulb.
Anyway, called Sears on Sunday AM, the rep knew the problem as soon as I said Hitachi 50V500 ("Oh yes, you need a bulb replacement") and tech is coming this Thursday, so we'll see how long this one will last.
(BTW, APC customer service did answer a email about the products they offer, and said they will be coming out with a new model backup specifically for these models and to keep watching their website!)

Rob O.
Unregistered guest
For my Sony LCD I bought a standard computer battery back up. Sony said that as long as the unit puts out 65W and 120V it should be fine. I bought a Belkin unit from Dell.

Unregistered guest
One inexpensive solution is professionally refurbished UPSs. For example, an APC SmartUPS 700 with NEW batteries, load-tested and calibrated to factory specs runs $89.00 + shipping.

There are 2 types of UPSs, ONLINE and LINE INTERACTIVE. Online units are also called "double conversion". They continually downconvert utility voltage to 12V, feed it through the batteries and upconvert back to 120V. They provide absolutely pure power (sine wave) with no fluctuations and are always "on line". Electronics are MOST happy with these.

Line interactive units are on "standby" until voltages fluctuate (usually outside of 96V on low end and 130V on the high end). Then they disconnect from utility power and go on battery. There is a couple millisecond delay. They also (usually) produce a modified sine wave output.

Hope this adds to the discussion!

http://www.secure-power.com

alsoinfla
Unregistered guest
just purchased the 50v500 curious as to how long of life did the bulb have, also tried a APC BX-1000 backup power supply and it would not hold the load

FLNewbie
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the info! Just as a follow-up, wanted to tell what happened with the Sears tech. He came, told me yep, it was the bulb, and no, he didn't have any in stock! AND that they were backordered....so, he placed the order and had the replacement marked to be shipped to my house so I could install it myself (no charge/under warranty), and showed me how to do it (easy). I also went on the Sears parts website and ordered a spare bulb (I paid) to have on hand in case it ever happens again that they would be out of bulbs I wouldn't have to wait so long. It took about two weeks to get the replacement, and that's a lonnnnnggg time to see that beautiful TV sitting there without a bulb. I know it's covered under warranty, but just in case, I have a spare....

Anyway, about two weeks later, I got two boxes delivered at home - one from warranty, one with the order I paid for. So now I have a working TV, and a spare bulb available.

Oh, and to alsoinfla, we had the TV about 2-3 months before the bulb went out (about one month after the power surge).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us