Samsung HLN5065W1X/XAA color problem

Username: Peter_nyc

Post Number: 1
hello,

looks like my tv is about to die on me...
The red color is gone and it was replaced with green, I tried to adjust it but won't work. Restarted the tv and no picture just sound and 3 blinking lights, then unpluged it from the power outlet and after a half hour waiting turned it back on, the blinking lights are gone but still no red :-(. Does it sound like the lamp is about to go or something more serious? Please help any input would be appreciated.

Pete,

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 852
It could be the color wheel or the digital controller board. It doesn't sound like the lamp. Have you been cleaning the inside? There are two fans inside that keep things cool. If components heat up they fail.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for you reply FYI, I did a search before I started this thread here and seen a few of your earlier posts where you recomended vacuming the back of the tv, so I did it but no sucess. Both fans are working and dust free. is there an easy way to find out wich part is faulty?
Thanks,
Pete,

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 856
You can here the color wheel spin up on power up. Also, when you power down the color wheel stops instantly, but the fans continue for another minute.

It really sounds like the digital control board. It's not a cheap part. Call 1-800 SAMSUNG.
File your complaint up to and past Level 2. A third time repair may get you a new set. Be very very persistent. Don't accept their initial refusal to offer assistance. The executive csr's want you to believe in Samsung and be a repeat customer. Push for a replacement or at a minimum, offer to cover the labor if they eat the part. Good luck!

Post Number: 4
I can't hear the color wheel but I don't even know what sound to look for and I gues if the color wheel stop working should be no colors at all,right? I have no warranty on this tv, when I bought it (long time ago) I didn't buy the warranty.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 858
Ther color wheel has a high pitched whir as it spins up to 10,000 rpm. If it stops spinning it can land on red, green, or blue. If you removed it you would get a black and white picture.

It doesn't matter if your set is in or out of warranty. It matters how tenatious you are. Be very, very persistent! Call over and over again. Ask for the next level up. Use language like BBB, Attorney General, local station's investigative reporter, newspaper editorial, etc. if you must. The squeaky wheel theory eventually works whether in warranty or out. No company wants to risk negative publicity. They feel you out and size you up as a potential negative publicity threat. If more people did this companies would strive for better quality control and improved customer relations. Worst case, you might have to cover shipping on your replacement or pay an hour or two of tech labor.

Post Number: 5
Thanks again FYI, this morning when I turned the tv on the colors came back and I heard that sound, however it stopped working again after about an hour and the whir sound disapered as well. I turned it on and off a few times and I can't hear the color wheel. Do you think it worth a try to change the color wheel? I did a search and found one at: http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=3803880&ProductType=PART& ModelID=419130
I also found this article on how to change the color wheel: http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 861
It's worth a shot!
You will need one someday anyway!

Post Number: 6
Ok, I just oredered one. I will let you know if that solved the problem. Thanks again for all your help.
Pete,

Post Number: 7
Update, tv acting normal ever since I ordered the color wheel. about every third time when we turn it on the color be messed up but a couple of on and off fix it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us