Plasma Panasonic monitor mentioned elsewhere??

Username: Elviza

Post Number: 2
Hi- just recently joined this forum and was reading a thread a week or two ago where someone mentioned they recommended a 'commercial 42 inch Panasonic' which they had bought for around $1200 and said was the best deal for the money out there. I seem unable to locate where this was mentioned and may be inaccurate on part of the description but both my husband and I seem to recall that those were the specifics. Please refresh my memory!

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 963
I didn't post that info, nor did I even see it, but as I have been debating about getting a plasma this fall, I have done a lot of research, so I have a pretty good idea what was suggested.

For $1200, the "commercial class" Panasonic plasma is an EDTV model, which means it does 480 lines, progressive (which means it redraws the whole screen as opposed to interlaced which does every other line before drawing the skipped over lines). This resolution is what you get out of a DVD player, but it is not High Definition (which is either 720 lines progressive, or the competing standard of 1080 lines interlaced).

Many people prefer EDTV since its picture for standard definition television is often better than HDTVs showing standard definiiton programming. This may explain why the poster believed it to be such a great deal. It will, however, not look quite as sharp as an HDTV when showing HiDef programming as it cannot show all of the detail.

Here is the TV you are asking about:

http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/Plasma/Product.asp_X_Sku_Y_TH42PWD8UK

Now, what you have to understand about Panasonic's "Commercial Class" is that they do not have a TV tuner of any kind (you have to have a cable box or satellite box for that), nor do they have any sound--you have to have an outboard amp and speakers (typically, your HT system). Finally, they do not come with a stand, and Panasonic charges an arm and a leg for a stand (about $300). I would only consider a Commercial Class Panasonic if I were going to wall mount it--you can find some very reasonably wall mounts for around $100.

Username: Htelectrical

Post Number: 1
The Panasonics do not need an amp. They do need speakers, but have an onboard amp (16W) capable of driving small speakers sufficiently.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us