Which Samsung set is best for me?

Username: Leestewart

Post Number: 1
I've been looking at getting a large rear-projection television and saw a good sale on a Samsung set. As I poked around, I realized that it was probably an older set and got confused over the different model numbers. I'm not sure which model number to get and the person I talked to at the store wasn't very helpful.

This set is strictly for watching DVDs and pre-edit files from my computer (I do video editing and often get highly compressed files). There's no need for a tuner and internal speaker quality doesn't matter (ie, SRS isn't necessary) since audio is going through a receiver.

My DVD output will be 1080i for now, but I'll upgrade to a progressive player at some point. I'll probably have some video game systems connected as well (do all the sets have "game mode", does that work?)

If I get a 56" set, then the model number is HL-S56xxW, right? Can someone explain the difference between the 86, 87, and 88 models? Are the features the same for the different sizes, for example HL-S5087W versus HL-S5687W versus HL-S6187W?

Also do the Samsung sets allow POP or side-by-side images from different video inputs? Is there a limitation, for example can I have two component video images next to each other? Or two digital images?

Do some of these sets have an RS-232 interface? What is that for? And the firewire input?

So many questions...

Thanks for any advice,
Lee

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 825
You want an HL-S 5688W. The xx87W doesn't have PIP. The 86W is a 720P and not a 1080P like the 87 and 88. Features are the same for different set sizes. The RS-232 is for technicians to service and diagnose trouble. The firewire can be used for components like certain DVD players and camcorders.

Username: Leestewart

Post Number: 2
Does the HL-S5688W have the side-by-side type of PIP?

Also, does this set suffer from the "game lag" that I've read about with some TVs?

Thanks for the quick response!
Lee

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 827
Like I said, you want the 88W because you want the PIP it has to offer. All "S" models have a "Game Mode" and lag is not an issue. :-)

Best regards!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us