Thinking of buying DMR-EH55S or DMR-EH75S, I have QUESTIONS!

Username: Pinbyte

Post Number: 8
I have a number of questions regarding:
> Panasonic DMR-EH55S hard drive PVR/DVD recorder/DVD player.
> DMR-EH75S which includes much of above plus VCR and a smaller hard drive.

It seems like my wishes have finally been answered based on the specs... but I have yet to find many reviews or discussion on these units as they are so new.

They are also a bit pricey being in the $400-$500 range (I was hoping for something under $300 by now). Still, I'll bite for under $500 if it will do what I want.

I want to:
* Time shift STEREO analog cable TV like a VCR
* Not be limited to 6 hours like a VCR
* Be able to archive recordings to DVD+R
* Schedule time shifting via FREE on-screen guide
* Pause, rewind, and fast forward while recording
* Copy home VHS (from my VCR) to Hard Drive (HD)
* Edit content recorded from VHS on the HD
* Create DVD's from edited VHS content
* Record and playback DVD+R/RW (+ is a MUST)
* Playback commercial DVD's via HDMI
* De-letterbox 2.35:1 to fit 16x9 HiDef screen

The last item is a big question not addressed in any of the specs I've seen. These are just among my many wants for a hard drive PVR/DVD recorder/player (non-TiVo).

If you are an eCoustics member who owns one of these units, I would like to ask you a few detailed questions if I may.

It could result in a good thread for others in my situation who are looking for a specific set of features in a hard drive PVR/DVD recorder/player (aka HDD/DVD). I have been looking for something like this for over 1.5 years... but I still don't have enough information to know if either is really the one.

The DMR-EH75S which includes a VCR allows me to cut another component from my rack. However, one review I have found mentioned audio glitches resulting from editing hard drive content. Has anybody experienced this with the DMR-EH55S as well?

Somehow I am thinking that the 55S is a better unit than the 75S (and I already own a VCR). With prices in the same ballpark, it is hard to decide.

I am looking forward to hearing from those of you who were brave enough to take the plunge and experiment. Thanks in advance,

- Pinbyte

Username: Bigbear

Burlington, Vermont USA

Post Number: 3
If DVD+ is a must then think about a different manufacturer. My Pan. 55 uses - DVD's only.

Silver Member
Username: Mc_sunny

Post Number: 244
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us