HDMI/DVI compatibility problem

Username: Brianric

Encinitas, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I've just purchased a new Samsung VR-DVD 325 upconverting DVD player/recorder and I'm having a problem using its HDMI output. I have an Olevia 37" LCDtv with one DVI input and, up until recently, I've been viewing HD channels with no problems from my DirecTv HR 10-250 hi-def receiver. I received the new DVD recorder a few days ago and I've connected its HDMI output to the tv's DVI input using suitable cables and an HDMI/DVI 3-way switch and the problem is I only see the picture from the DVD player intermittantly.
If I select either 480p, 720p or 1080i at the DVD recorder, it activates the HDMI output, but the tv (with DVI input selected) shows "no input". I've found that switching through the three different resolution levels in quick succession can result in the tv waking up, seeing the input and showing me the correct picture, but it's totally inconsistent and my finger is getting tired. Once I power-cycle either the tv or the dvd recorder I'm back at square one.
Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do? The Samsung tech I spoke to said many HD tvs have a problem interpreting a DVI signal that's been converted from HDMI, but he would say that, wouldn't he!
All reasonable suggestions gratefully received.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us