Transfering from DVR to PC

Username: Majinbroly

Post Number: 7
ok, I was told (over Yahoo answers) that it is possible to transfer videos on my DVR to my laptop via my USB TV tuner and video cables (and the program Virtual Dub Mod).

However, I was not given clear instruction, and though one might say it's just plugging in the cables and using the programs...could I get some help here? (/tell me if this isn't possible)

Username: Lostinlodos

Post Number: 5
If it's a Comcast box, you can't. They disable the ports at the firmware level. And cracking the firmware is a violation of FCC regulations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
It's a Cox Cable box (well, it says something else, but my cable company is cox).

I've kinda of givin up on that. So I will change my question to this (if I don't get a response, I'll make a separate topic)

****************NEW QUESTION****************
Can I, watch the programs from the DVR and record them live? (I am curious since the recorded programs play on a special channel that is way above the others, and doesn't opperate like a normal TV channel where a signal is always going out).

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 8
What manufacture is it (ie Scientific Atlantic/Motorola...) and what is the model number? I'm sure if not myself, one of the people here could help.

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 9
There are two, no, three things to deal with when connecting to a computer via USB/IEEE or Ethernet.

First the box needs to use the ports as an access port, not a video port. It's not as common in the US as it was 5 years ago with the first digital/HD monitors that became wide-spread, but some early HDTVs used USB/Firewire/Ethernet ports to receive pure .ts video feeds, and some earlier boxes were built for that. Many boxes that are used shipped internationally also have that feature in 1 of the USB or Firewire ports as a good number of TVs sold in Asia only have HDMI/DVI/IEEE ports. .

Second, if your ports ARE set up as access ports, they need to be turned on.

Third, you will need drivers for your computer to recognise it if you use windows, and drivers and/or an access program if you use Linux. And, if you are using windows, depending on the driver package, you may also need a drive mounter to mount the (generally) Linux drive partitions. Some boxes are know to use Windows CE but it is extremely rare. Only Texas Instruments and Scientific Atlantic did that, on just a few digiboxes.

If all else fails, you can do it the long way. You get a converter or a converter card and plug your component or composite output from your digibox into the input on the converter box or card and use a screen capture utility or Media Center or some other software (like NeroVision) to record the DVR programs. This takes a while, as long as the show you are recording, but if you spend on a good capture card that handles HD signles, you can even do an HDMI or DVI pass-through and keep your signal digital to record 1:1 HD that way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about in the first 2 parts, but that's OK because I wasn't asking about w/e it was.

THIRD PART--> Do you mean just record it while I'm watching it? or is there another way? (I'll probably use Windows Media Center --and I'll just be using the capture card that came with the computer (I don't know how good it is, but I don't need stuff to be HD quality)).

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 10
I'm triple posting and I realise that is a no-no, but sue me, I'm space shifting this from Swedish to English, I don't have a US keyboard anymore, and I occasionally hit the auto-post key by accident, since I don't know what one it is. lol

To answer your --new question-- see the last paragraph of my other answer. If that's the case, and you've given up on other methods of off-loading your recordings, I can suggest a few pieces of software ranging from free to thousands of dollars, depending on what you want to do and what you want to spend.

Every channel your box will put out is always-on, or a standard-definition TV wouldn't be able to read the signal. FOr things like PPV and On-Demand recordings, though, you'll need better software that can catch and time-sync the multi-millisecond drops that will occur in the feed. They are meant to crash the average users video player if the program is recorded, by inserting time-shifts, black-outs, and slight frame-rate changes that tell cheep players like Windows Media Player that the program is over, turn off now. These are especially true to HD signals.

And if you want to go cheep, you can always put your VHS-CR or DVDR in between the digibox and the TV. lol. Again, direct to DVD may not work on its own though, for the reasons stated above. I've had the biggest problems recording HD-On-Demand and the WWE PPVs and Boxing PPV to DVDR.

Bronze Member

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 11
oops. sry, you got back here before I got the rest of the post up, h/o

Bronze Member

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 13
What you'll need to do is plug the video-out from the digibox to the video-in on the capture card. Then, load your DVR saved program and push play, or switch to the channel you want to record. Then set the time and hit record on the capture program. My suggestion is NeroVision, as it will remove the pauses and make it easier to watch later if you want to go to DVD. Another good program is VLC player, which can load the capture card and record live, until you tell it to stop; to hell with the pauses. VLC is free, but you'll see the jerk every now and then from the shifts in the stream.
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to tell the digibox you want to watch the 6th recording on the list at 3:30 am please load it then. You'll always need to push a button on the computer and a button on the digibox.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Ok. Should I connect via cable(coax), or via composite cables? (composite probably better quality, but j/w cuz the instruction book never mentions them when recording from a cable box)

oh, and I don't plan on recording and on-demand or PPV stuff, just stuff I already have recorded (actually, it's mainly 2 specials from the NFL network that they most likely arn't going to show anymore, and I can't find anywhere on the net).

Bronze Member

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 14
Composite does not necessarily give you a better picture. If your HD box can down-scale an HD signal through the coax, (plug your TV in with the coax, and tune to an HD channel, you'll get an ED signal, at higher resolution, in a compressed shrunken box if it works). you'd be better off using that, as the picture quality would be better off that way. Many cable boxes will output an HD signal through the coax, but not the composite (RCA) cables. beyond that, on a standard signal you'd be better off with the composite. As always, it's up to you, try both, take the one you like.
Hope that helps.

Username: 2difor

GWYNN OAK, MD United States

Post Number: 1
I was told by the Dish network tech that I could hook up an S-video cable to my pc and capture movies. Well, one end fits into the dvr, but the other does not go into the 7 pin port on my Dell pc. It won't stay in, but I was told that there is no adapter for it.
Help please.

Bronze Member

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 15
Go to radio-shack. Thare IS an adapter for EVERYTHING, if if you go on a quite day, like tuesday or thursday mornings, you may find a sales guy who can tell you how to make one if that's your only choice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us