Comcast /Digital /HDTV

Username: Scuzzles

Post Number: 1
I cant seem to find exactly what I'm looking for in this forum: I have Comcast Basic Analog Cable and just got an HDTV. I know that Comcast doesnt encrpyt and everything I need for digital and HDTV is already coming into my house. Knowing this, I was told I would need an HDTV Digital Receiver with a QAM tuner to get everything I need from Comcast. Is this true? In other words, I can just get a Comcast Motorola box off ebay and I'll have their digital and HDTV channels?? But I've also read that Comcast needs to activate these boxes to get the service? Whats the truth here?

Bronze Member
Username: Dicks_ndickweeds

Bonerland, USA Country Music

Post Number: 86
I don't even live in america but if you have analogue cable with them all you'd have to do is screw the cable into the back on the tv and scan the channels. Then you'd get all the high defintion channels. Whether or not you'd get any digital channels who knows as the qam tuner only finds digital channels that exist like with OTA digital channels that are there.

Username: Nfl

Post Number: 9
Ken, if you subscribe comcast HD package, they will provide you with the HD receiver box with HD connector (HDMI slot), you have to buy the HDMI cable yourself.

Analog cable plug into your new HDTV, you will get a shiittty picture.

Username: Torbanac

I also have a similar question but I think you answered part of it. I just signed up for Comcast HD and only have analog basic cable. This is in PG County Maryland. The cable goes into the HD box ? what are the choices of outputs? Does the analog cable remain the same for all the other TV's on the system (3)Is there a coax pass-through on the box?

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 180
you need a component video cable from the box to input one on the tv(or hdmi). i used the co ax out from the box to ant input on the tv for pic in pic.

Username: Torbanac

Post Number: 2
Talked to comcast to schedule installation. The rep said the output was HDMI. So are saying there is also a component Video (R,G,B) output. Along with a coax passthrough.
Thanks for the help.

Username: Fuelsguy

Bellevue, WA USA

I'm really new at this whole subject, so any help is appreciated.
I had Comcast hook up their box to a Sharp 46P62U 1080P HDTV. The installation uses component cables not DVI or HDMI. In 4*3 mode the picture has side black areas as expected. When I go to HD, there is a black area all around the picture, as if it's just showing the 720 line picture in the middle of the 1080 screen. If I use the TV's zoom feature I can get a full screen picture, but when I go back to 4*3 it stays zoomed and I lose the top and bottom of the picture.
Is there a way around this?
If I went to DVI would that tell the TV to go to full screen for HDTV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us