NEW SAMSUNG DLP rear projection TV with Ps2, Gamecube

Username: Spikerobishaw

Tampa, Fl

Post Number: 1
Alright Guys i need your help. Just recently i got a 56 inch DLP projection samsung HDTV. I have Playstation 2, Gamecube, and the Computer hooked up to the TV, Computer is running a Gforce 7800. I was pissed when i noticed that the playstation2 was blurry and pixelated, i get a better image on my tv from 1977(no kidding). I tried to see what the gamecube had to offer, and it still looks like the same blurry image. I tried the settings on the ps2 (4.3 , 16.9, full) and that didnt seem to help at all. I called Samsung out and they said that there is nothing wrong with the tv set. Im using yellow cable RCA, i know that its the worst, but i have heard alot that the cables do make the picture better, but it does not make an extreme difference. The computer is hooked through a monster DVI to HDMI cable, the image is more clear than the ps2, but it could sill be better, and i cannot fix the overscanning, no matter what i do, even tried powerstrip. Someone Tell me, was the samsung tech just bs'in and do i have a faulty tv or do i really have a load of problems goin on with my setup here? Any Suggestions , please by all means. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Tampa, Fl

Post Number: 2
sorry i might of put this thread in the wrong location, forgive my noobness :-(

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 773
Component (Pr, Pb, Y) are best for the PS2. Many say that a component to VGA converter works best. You need to remember that your new 720P enlarging display is magnifying an old tech low line interlaced signal. Garbage in = garbage out. Progressive capable games will look much better. PS3 will rock as Xbox 360 already does.
Don't know why you hooked the pc through HDMI. Powerstrip works perfectly through the VGA port.

Tampa, Fl

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the info FYI, i did do alot of research recently and it does look like the answer to most of this will be the PS3. So in that case, -sits and waits-

About the Computer hooked up though, doesnt the HDMI cord give alot better quality than the VGA? it does seem like the VGA can fix overscanning, and powerstrip seems to work better for VGA.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 774
No difference in quality since both are relaying 1s and 0s. HDMI has obvious scanning limitations. VGA will handle whatever the card and driver will deliver.

Tampa, Fl

Post Number: 5
Thanks for you help yet again, so the Component (Pr, Pb, Y) cord is different from the RCA that comes with the PS2 correct? Is it really worth the money to buy those cords for the ps? Also i have heard something about an adapter for the ps2 that could make it hi def. Im pretty unsure if that one is true due to the ps3 being released soon.

what you think - PS3 vs Nintendo Wii?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 782
There is a PS2 that has (Pr, Pb, Y) connections and is made for progressive scan version of games and there's an older PS2 that is strictly RCA. The 3 video component is much better.

There is no adapter that will make PS2 look like HD. There is a component to VGA adapter that will eliminate game delay on older "R" Samsungs. The new "S" Samsungs have a game mode.

PS3 or Xbox 360!

Tampa, Fl

Post Number: 6
Hmm. My ps2 is really old, i got it about the time it was launched. so i guess it would just be better for me to wait to get ps3 then to buy another ps2 so i could use Component cords.

Yea my new samsung has the "game mode" , but i cannot for the life of me see any difference in the quality when i use that vs regular mode.

yea ps3 is what im thinkin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us