Is S-video going to help for recording VHS to DVD?

Username: Smcc1986

Post Number: 1
I have lots of VHS tapes to convert to DVD (tape age ranging from 3 to 20 years). From the threads in this forum, I think I got the connection down, only question is will playing back using a VCR with S-video output make the quality better. Is there a visible difference, I got different answers from different sales people in Best Buy, Circuit City and Fry's.
Thanks in advance!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2830
With the poor quality of VHS, I doubt you'll see a significant difference unless you get a VCR with a built in TBC, $600 new, $150-250 on ebay.

Post Number: 2
David, thanks for the answer. What is a TBC and what does it do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2833
Time base corrector, basically it fixes synchronization problems in analog recordings.

Post Number: 3
Thank you for your response.
I bought a RCA 6 head VCR/DVD combo to connect to a new JVC S-VHS VCR to take advantage of the S-video playback output. So I should be returning these machines and get a VCR with TBC and S-video and a new DVD recorder, right?
Thanks so much!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2838
Those VCRs with a built in TBC are $600, around $200 on ebay. Unless you've got a lot of tapes, or are having problems with the tapes, I don't know if it's worth it. You can buy seperate TBCs, I don't know how much they cost, I've seen them on ebay.

Post Number: 4
Sorry, one more question.
Will I get better playback picture and take care of Macrovision at the same time if I use a Panasonic AG-1980 as the playback deck? From other poats, it sould be a S-VHS with built-in TBC) I am using a JVC 3902 as playback now.
Thanks much!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us