Some VHS will, some won't ...

Username: Goloh

Post Number: 1
Like everyone else, I need help/advice. I have an early-generation standalone Philips DVD Recorder that does DVD+R and DVD+RW very well as long as the item to be copied (whether DVD, VCD, or VHS) is original, let's say a a film I bought from a shop. However if the VHS contains something I recorded from TV, or is a copy of another VHS tape, the signal when I am trying to make a new DVD using the recorder seems too weak to make the copy. I can watch the VHS just fine if it's playing in the VCR with nothing else operating, but when the DVDR is trying to make a copy, not only won't it do that, but the videotape itself jumps around on the TV screen, sort of stopping and starting. Is there some simple solution to this? It defeats the purpose of having the recorder if I can't use it to record. Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed earlier--if so, point me to it? Thanks..

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2818
You can use a time base corrector, but they aren't cheap. It would be cheaper to buy a DVD recorder with a good TBC, the Toshiba D-R4. You can get one on ebay pretty cheap these days.

Username: Goloh

Post Number: 2
Thanks for this suggestion. I'll try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us