Getting hd channels

Username: Dagwoodoe

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Samsung Model: TX-S3082WH. It has a bulit in HD turner. I am wondering if I can get any HD channels without the hd box. I have comcast cable and have the digital box. I do not know much about electronics. I have the tv hooked up by running it to the digital box and then to the tv. Is there any more connections I should have for a better picture? What settings should I have on when looking for HD channels? Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 59
a digital box may, or may not, actually carry HD content. Does the cable box have output for HDMI or "component" cables. Component cable output would be a set of 3 RCA connectors marked red/blue/green. A component cable consists of 3 75 ohm coax cables with RCA connectors on each end and would connect to a similar set of 3 input connectors on your TV.

The built in HD tuner is really meant for over the air broadcast digital TV - the free kind transmitted by the local TV stations. Almost all broadcasters have a digital signal now. Depending on the distance from the broadcast towers, you will either need an indoor TV antenna (up to 10 to 15 miles or so) or an outdoor antenna. Check www.antennaweb.org and put in your complete address to check what is available to you and how far the transmitters are

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 136
Your display has an ATSC tuner (as Martin mentioned), it is for receiving OTA HD channels. You would either need an internal QAM tuner in your display or a cable company provided HD capable STB.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us