Component video on dvdplayer is daker and greener?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 24
I just bought a new yamaha dvds657, also I bought a acoustic research component cable. I notice when I switch to component from composit the picture gets a bit darker and more green. I cant figure out weather this is because this is the way the video is supposed to be seen, or weather there is a problem with my dvd player. I suppose it could be my tv (27" samsung crt)

Username: Broomer

OC, California USA

Post Number: 4
I have noticed the same thing. I have a new Sony DVD player, I have it connected via S-video, and component - and the component is dark and has a green tint to everything. I have tried connection to different jacks on the TV with the same result. Anyone know what is up? I might try a dvi to hdmi and see what happens.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 22
My recommendation is, play around with your color settings. The thing about component video is it sends ur blue, and reds and greens thru the cable to your tv, but it also sends ur lights and darks via that same connection. Here's a better explanation of what it does:

Component video jacks
This 3-cable connection allows the chrominance (color) and luminance (brightness) portions of a video signal to be processed separately. S-video works similarly, but component video improves color accuracy further by splitting the chrominance signal into two portions.

Component video connections are found on most DVD players and HDTV tuners, and on a growing number of TVs and A/V receivers. However, this type of connection can vary in bandwidth from unit to unit. To pass progressive-scan DVD signals without noticeable softening of the picture, a component video connection should have bandwidth of 12 MHz or higher; passing HDTV signals without softening requires bandwidth of 30MHz or higher. If you are only slightly shy of the required bandwidth for the signal you're viewing and your TV is 36" or less, the picture softening may be extremely subtle, or even unnoticeable.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Ive palyed around with the settings for a while now. Im pretty sure its just the tv though. I am however going to take the dvd player back to the shop wehre I bought it, and let them plug it into a nice dlp or plasma tv just to make sure its the tv not the dvd player. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 71
Video is one lines of picture
S-video is two lines of picture
Component is three lines of picture

Sense i have gotten my LCD i have bought all good plated cables and either S-video or component for my PS2 and my game cube and what a differents is sound and picture

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
What you call "video" is component, what you call "component" is composit. And your lcd tv, your playstation, and your gold cables have nothing to do with this post. Its the same as saying, "I just bought a house with a dishwasher", good for you, but, it doesnt answer the question. If you are going to start posting crap on topics, at least learn your technology. Sorry to be a jerk, but, your a idiot.

OC, California USA

Post Number: 5
Someone on the other thread - big screens - reported a similar problem. His picture went green. After cleaning out the back and reconnecting everything, the picture is right again. It may be the cables.

A guy in my office suggested seperating the reciever, dvd player and tv to different parts of the room to reduce interference. I hope its the cables!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Make sure u got your correct colors goin into your tv example: blue to blue, green to green, and red to red. A guy I work with told me a lot of people goof that up when installing there cables. Another thing to check is to make sure your component video cables are enabled on your dvd player, try enabling your progressive picture from interlaced as well. Let me know how it goes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
There good cables (audio research), there going to the right colors, my tv is not progressive scan so turning that on wouldnt do any good. Im going to take it to the shop where I got it, and they will fool around with cables and settigns and such. Ill let ya know what happens though. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
If you got component video on yuor tv, your set should be able to go progressive. But who knows, could be just a bad connection somewhere.

OC, California USA

Post Number: 6
Well, I went and unplugged the cables from both the tv and dvd, hooked them back up, and it now works fine. The cables were connected correctly, but maybe the connection needed "wiggling".

I wish there was a better explanation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I wish my situation was that simple. I just took the dvd player to the store, tried it with my cables, and of course, it was fine, no green. I that leaves me with 2 solutions, play with the settings and play with the cables, or buy a new tv. Whell, I cant afford a new tv right now so It looks like Im gonna play with the settings. Oh well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us