Best big tv for analog?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 21
Im wondering what is the best big (42" and up) that displays analog (satellite, cable, etc) with the best clarity. From what I can see, I find dlp and lcd rear projections to be the best. LCD and gas plasma really dont show good analog signals, lots of noise, very blocky. Now, I find the absolute best is sonys flat tube crt, but they dont make them in the size I want, plus there do damn heavy.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 53
if you are receiving your analog TV via satelite provider, their heavy compression on the signals will make the screen blocky and blotchy no matter what you use. There are times on my older 4.3 Sony 55" rear screen projector when satelite programming is un-watchable due to the compression artifacts. If I switch over to over-the-air broadcasts of the same program on network TV, the difference is very noticable.

Compression artifacts are one of the satelite industry and some cable company's dirty little secrets. CRT TV's smooth out the blockiness much better than large screen TV's - plus the fact when the image is so much larger, there is no way to avoid the blotchy picture

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 23
Well, after watching a 42" lcd, a 42" plasma, a 42" crt, and a 42" rear projection. I can tell you from a fact, the crt is #1, the projection is #2, plasma is #3, and lcd is #4. My question was more specificly (I should of said this), what is best for a all around signal. Beucase of the fact a lcd handles this highly compressed signal so horribly (ive seen sony, panasonic, samsung and many more), they arnt even a option, plasma are still too pricy for a good quality (they dont handel high compression well either). Now, the ideal choice, a crt big screen isnt good because a) too heavy, b) most dont make them anymore. This leaves me with rear projection, wich, froma distance, look excellent on highly compressed analog. What is better, a lcd rear projection, a dlp, and what is the difference?

Username: Mspearl

Post Number: 4
If I were you I would buy the Dell 42" Plasma which has an analog tuner plus a digital/analog tuner. If the price is too high, then I would wait for the price to come down. I would buy a cheapo for now if I couldn't afford the plasma. Prices will keep dropping.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/3X_plasma42?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s =dhs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us