Archive through May 25, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2507
You can't use a stabilizer with a combo unless you use a seperate VCR. Stabilizers aren't hard to find, do a search for digital video stabilizer, or look on ebay.

Username: Simone

Cartersville, Ga Usa

Post Number: 2
I have an emerson vcr dvd recorder combo. I keep getting the message "recording error this program is not allowed to be recorded". What do I need to do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2508
You need a stabilizer and a seperate VCR. You'd be better off buying a seperate DVD recorder, then you could probably get something better quality for the same price or a little more. Emerson is Funai, pretty much bottom of the line.

Username: Freedomrocker1

hi can anybody help me? i have an older lite on recorder. can anybody tell me how to hack it.would really appreciate the help

Gold Member

Post Number: 2511
http://ilohacker.tripod.com/

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=951&sid=ffc926af9eceb20138

Username: Ella

Post Number: 1
There is some interesting information about DVD/VCR combos on http://www.xdimax.com/dvdred_faq/faq_vcrdvdcombo.html
I have Dimax DVD Red PRO -http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html
and it works just fine with my Panasonic DMR ES40V. I'm able to transfer my old VHS to DVD. I have used instructions here:
http://www.xdimax.com/dvdred_faq/faq_vcrdvdcombo.html#dmr_es40v

Username: Tmax59

Post Number: 6
Jake -

The unit I used is a Toshiba D-VR4X. But understand that I did NOT use it as a "combo." That is, I did NOT play the VHS tape using that machine. I used only the DVD part of that machine (to make the DVD). I played my tape on my "ancient" Akai VCR which is sufficiently ancient to "ignore" the Macrovision signal. I hooked the Akai to the D-VR4X's front inputs, set the D-VR4X to record to DVD via that input (which I think is "S2" but the manual tells you) and made the DVD copy of that copy-protected tape with no problem.

The D-VR4X thinks that it's receiving a signal which does not contain Macrovision and so it doesn't give any message or refuse to record it. And, in fact, it IS receiving a signal without Macrovision because the Akai "filters" it out (can't process it and thus can't pass it on).

If I played the tape on the D-VR4X's VHS player, its DVD recorder wouldn't make the copy because it would be receiving the Macrovision signal from its own player (because it's not "ancient").

So, as David has said many times here, you need to use a separate VCR. You also need to use either a stabilizer (as David has also said many times) or an ancient VCR like my Akai, which doesn't recognize the Macrovision signal because it predates it.

An easy way to tell if your old VCR is "sufficiently ancient" is to hook it up to your TV and play your DVD player through it and to the TV. You just set the VCR to "EXT" (external), as you would do if you were using it to dub another tape, and play a commercial DVD on your DVD player (and through the VHS machine) and see what you get on your TV. If you get the Macrovision signal, then the VHS player isn't ancient enough (it's recognizing the signal). If you don't see any Macrovision effect on your TV, the VHS player is ancient enough (it's filtering it out).

Post Number: 7
"So, as David has said many times here, you need to use a separate VCR."

Well, now that I've read Ella's link, I see that's not ALWAYS quite true. See her link for some combo units that allow it via some fancy "external wiring" which seems to be effectively using the unit's internal VCR as an "external VCR".

Thus you still DO need the stabilizer (hooked between the VCR "video out" and the DVD "video in").

It looks like this works with those units because they have both "video out" and "video in" hookups. I'm not sure if the Toshiba D-VR4X that I used has a "video out" hookup. I'll look at it the next time I visit (it's hers). It obviously has "video in" hookups -- in fact it has 2 of 'em.

As does Ella's Panasonic DMR-ES40V, which is why the instructions for it say: "Select recording to DVD from IN1 (You can use IN2 as well)."

I used the Toshiba's front hookups because they are right there at the front of the unit (just open the little door) and thus very convenient for hookup to an external VCR.

Username: Ultrared

I have been using a sony NS775V DVD player through a Sima CT2 to a Sony GX300 DVD recorder, and it seems to copy every form of commercial DVDs out there. Has anyone else used this combiation with sucess, or had any problems with the SIMA CT2 unit? Also, David, how do feel the MCM unit compares with the SIMA? Thanks for any comments.

Username: Ella

I had SIMA before and had to change it to DVD Red PRO http://www.xdimax.com, what I use not and is very much satisfied with. The problem I had with CIMA was delay between video and audio. My friend that is electronic engineer told me that in SIMA they use Video to Digital and Digital to Video adapters connected back to back, the conversion makes delay. BTW DVD Red video quality is also better but this can be my subjective opinion.

Post Number: 8
Just a thought and I think I've said it before, but from all the discussion on this thread about stabilizers and the problems folks seem to be having with them, it seems to me that for someone wanting to convert their VHS tapes to DVD's, and especially for folks who have a lot of such tapes, you might be better served to try to find a working "ancient VCR" to use instead of a stabilizer.

Just be sure the VCR is a stereo unit unless you're fine with mono. These are easy enough to find at yard sales and such.

And as I noted before, you don't even need to worry about whether the tape drive works or not because you're really only using it as a stabilizer. You simply hook it up between your own VCR and the recording DVD machine.

You just need to be sure the electronics are still working properly.

I think maybe the reason an ancient VCR works "better" than these problematic stabilizers is simply because the VCR has all the necessary circuitry to properly process the desirable video signal(s) while very simply ignoring the Macrovision signal and thus effectively filtering it out.

Seems like the stabilizers, and particularly the less expensive ones, have problems properly processing the desirable video signal(s). I note that David has mentioned quite a few times that fresh batteries are sometimes required to make these stabilizers work properly.

Filtering out the Macrovision is really quite simple (from everything I've read), so they should be able to do that part easily. In fact, I put up a link earlier about modifying any VCR to simply ignore the Macrovision signal (Ella, can you ask your tech guy about that?). So it seems to me that maybe the problems with some of these stabilizers are related to their somewhat questionable ability to properly process the desired signal(s).

You won't have that problem with a properly functioning VCR and thus the desired signal(s) will be reproduced just fine. And if it's an "ancient VCR" (or a modified newer one), you'll just filter out the Macrovision signal.

Just a thought. Note that I am NOT a tech on this stuff, just an enthusiast.

Username: Crazide

Thank you. thank you! This site helped me get my VCR & DVD Recorders setup to record my VHS tapes that were copywrites. Special THANKS to David Masey's Post!!!!

Post Number: 9
Tell us more. Did you use a combo unit to make the DVD copies? What stabilizer did you use? Any problems with the stabilizer? I had considered a stabilizer before I found out that my ancient VCR did the same job and I would have gotten the $29 job that's widely advertised (and widely available on ebay). From what I've read here I think I would have been unhappy with it, so I'm glad I didn't get it.

No combo units here. Strictly all seperate units, and one stablelizer.

Username: James_floyd

Denver, Colorado USA

David M.
Just one question and I am going to ebay to buy a stableizer. What is Sima?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2522
Sima is a company that makes stabilizers, along with other stuff.

Post Number: 3
Here I sit with egg on my face!
I thought I had mine wired correctly and ready to transfer. I transfered a movie from VHS to DVD no problems. Then I went to transfer a newer one DVD ... this one was a friends; therfore I needed to transfer from DVD to VHS, then I wanted to keep my copy on DVD. The transfer from VHS to DVD went fine, but when I tried to transfer back from VHS to DVD the window saying copywrite material wouldn't allow. What happened?!?!
Here's my equipment:
RCA VHS vr524 VCR
RCA DVD 8060N Recorder
RCA TV
A stabilizer with no name. It says VCR to VCR Stabilizer. Digital Video Stabilizer.
It worked great VCR to VCR. I put in a new battery.
These are all seperate units.
I have the RCA wires, red, yellow, & white that are all together, but I can't understand where they go when using the stabilizer.
I would appreciate info help greatly.

Post Number: 4
In previous post I mentioned I didn't know the name of my stabilizer, well since, I've found this photo and it's the same as my stabilizer. I found it on the MCM stabilizer site. I'll try to upload a photo.(not to sure on this.)
David or anyone, is this all I need to be able to transfer my VHS to DVD that have copywrite?

Post Number: 5
Upload
I'm tryin to upload a photo of my stabilizer. So someone can tell me if it's the correct type.

Post Number: 10
That's the $29 job that I mentioned above (that I almost bought but am glad I didn't).

David's post at the top of this thread says "DVD to DVD or DVD to VHS is a different story for sure, don't expect the stabilizer to work for that, it might and it might not." So maybe he can help you out. I quite frankly don't quite understand why a stabilizer would work to filter out Macrovision from VHS to DVD but not from DVD to either DVD or VHS. I'm NOT saying that's not the case; I'm saying I don't understand why it is.

I've been using my ancient VCR as a stabilizer and that works both ways no problem.

I didn't understand your post above regarding your setup and what you were trying to do, so perhaps you might try to be a little clearer about it?

It sounded like everything was working fine from copy-protected VHS tape to DVD. Then you tried to do a copy-protected DVD (your friend's) to VHS. Then you said "The transfer from VHS to DVD went fine" and that's where you lost me. Did you mean to say "The transfer from DVD to VHS went fine"?

Because it sounds like you had a friend's DVD (copy-protected) that you wanted to have a (DVD) copy of. And so you transferred it from DVD to VHS and then tried to transfer it back from VHS to DVD (your copy). I assume you were doing it this way instead of transferring it directly from DVD to DVD because you don't have a 2d DVD player to connect to your RCA DVD 8060N Recorder (thru a stabilizer, of course).

Bad idea. Transferring to VHS first is probably going to result in some loss of video quality, not to mention that it's an unnecessary extra step. Just borrow your friend's DVD player and use it to make the transfer directly.

If I am correct about what you tried to do, then maybe you just forgot to reconnect the stabilizer properly after making the VHS copy? You need to change the "In" and "Out" leads after making the VHS copy (from DVD) because then the VCR is the player (the source) and not the recorder.

And the DVD is now the recorder and not the player (source).

Anyway, that's my guess. Assuming I understood what you were doing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2527
G Mauldin, any stabilizer should work fine for VHS to DVD. DVD to DVD is a different story, it may or may not work.

Re TMAX: Because it sounds like you had a friend's DVD (copy-protected) that you wanted to have a (DVD) copy of. And so you transferred it from DVD to VHS and then tried to transfer it back from VHS to DVD (your copy). I assume you were doing it this way instead of transferring it directly from DVD to DVD because you don't have a 2d DVD player to connect to your RCA DVD 8060N Recorder (thru a stabilizer, of course).

The above is Correct. I don't have a 2nd DVD player and didn't want to be a bother to my friend.
But No I didn't forget to change the connections. VCR is OUTPUT
DVD is INPUT

I tried the RCA Cables red, yellow, white. Connected audio out on VHS to Audio in on DVD, leaving the stablilizer connected. That never worked either.

When you say your using an ANCIENT VCR ... what do you consider ancient. I have a 2nd VCR that is apx. 15 years old.

I just can't understand WHY it would allow transfer from DVD to VHS, but not VHS to DVD ... same movie. Anyone with any info will be greatly appreciated. David, anyone else? I've got my ears/eyes on and waiting. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I don't think yours is ancient enough. Read my prior posts above and check out the links I posted. My Akai Stereo VCR is at least 20 years old.

David says DVD to DVD is a different story. He also says using a stabilizer may or may not work. That's somewhat encouraging to me because the fact is that I haven't yet actually made a DVD to DVD transfer using my ancient VCR. What I HAVE done is to defeat the Macrovision signal in a copy-protected DVD using my ancient VCR. I ASSUME I can therefore make a DVD copy of that DVD.

Then again, you know what happens when you assume, right?

I think what David may be referring to is the newer DVD copy-protection methods employed. It sounds like he's saying that VHS copy-protection technology never rose above Macrovision, which can be filtered out with an ancient VCR or a stabilizer like yours. Thus VHS to DVD is not a problem.

I'm not very knowledgable on this stuff, but I'm learning. I KNOW that my commercial DVD employed Macrovision because it said so on it. It was an older DVD and so it didn't have any of the newer protections on it -- just Macrovision.

But I believe there are newer things out there on newer DVD's. Check out this site in regard to CSS and some other such things (including audio protections) -

http://www.dvd-copy.com/tech.html

As you can see there, CSS stands for "Contents Scrambling System." I'm guessing this survives your stabilizer and thus gets onto your VHS copy, which then triggers the error message when you try to record that on your DVD recorder. Another (older?) DVD recorder might not recognize CSS and thus might make the copy.

Sounds like you (and I) may be out of luck trying to copy any newer DVD (to DVD) that employes anything beyond Macrovision. You need something more sophisticated (like software) to defeat CSS and such.

You can probably copy a newer DVD to VHS successfully because your older VCR won't recognize anything but Macrovision and thus won't give you an error message, etc. That's assuming you use a stabilizer or ancient VCR to filter out any Macrovision that might also be there.

Then again, David's first post at the top of this thread said "...DVD to VHS is a different story for sure" so it sounds like I might not be right about that.

Then again, you might also check out ebay item 9715340673 which is an example of your stabilizer. The seller says it's good for "VHS to VHS - DVD to VHS." So it sounds like it WILL work for DVD to VHS. And you DID say you did that part okay.

So I'm guessing that what I said already is the key. It depends on whether your particular DVD has just Macrovision or something newer and better.

David, am I close?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2530
DVDs can be copied to VHS, but on bright colors, there will often be lines in the picture. Wheather some of the DVD encryption gets transfered to the VHS or not, I don't know. Usually poeple copy VHS to DVD, not the other way around.

Well, apparently the encryption got transferred on this one. Yes, if I had a 2nd DVD player or recorder I would have went that route, but since I don't, I thought "hey, record to VHS then back to DVD." If anyone has done this succesfully feel free to email me A1misfit@aol.com or post it here.

BTW the VHS I made was very clear, no lines. Good quality.

Maybe I found out this isn't possible. Maybe it will save someone else the trouble. :/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
G. -

Yes, it does look like we've both learned a lot in this exchange. You say you would have used a 2nd DVD player or recorder if you had one, but even that might not have done the trick. If you read this thread from the top, I think you'll see that David's previously referred to using an "older" DVD recorder (as getting around encryption problems).

Your RCA DVD 8060N recorder is probably (definitely?) new enough to recognize CSS and other newer encryptions, so it's always going to prevent you from making a copy of any newer DVD that has encryption. As you have already learned, your stabilizer doesn't filter out encryptions and thus your VHS tape ended up with the dreaded encryption on it -- which prevented you from then making a DVD copy of that tape using your RCA 8060N recorder.

I believe you can make a DVD copy of any older DVD which has only Macrovision as long as you use your stabilizer to filter that out (which it will) and you should be able to do that whether you go directly from DVD to DVD (using a 2nd player) or from DVD to VHS to DVD (as you already tried to do).

But to make a DVD to DVD copy of your friend's DVD, you'll probably need a 2nd DVD recorder which is old enough so as to not be able to recognize encryption. It will surely recognize Macrovision, but if you use your stabilizer, you'll filter that out.

The other way to do it, of course, is to burn it on your PC using the appropriate software. Which is why David has said a few times that a PC DVD burner is the way to go if you're interested in making DVD copies of DVDs.

The good news is that it sounds like your MCM stabilizer did a fine job of making a quality VHS tape copy of that encrypted DVD without any lines, yada yada yada. So your stabilizer is doing its job quite well.

Now what I have to do is to get a newer encrypted DVD and attempt to make a DVD copy of it using my ancient VCR as a stabilizer and my friend's Toshiba DVD combo recorder to make the copy. That machine is brand new last Christmas, so I'm confident that if the encryption survives my ancient VCR, I'll get the appropriate error message and be unable to make the DVD copy. If and when I get the chance to do that, I'll post my findings here.

My guess is that I won't be able to make the copy, but unless I find out beforehand that that's surely the case, I'll give it a go.

One last thing: The one DVD copy that I have made was of a commercial VHS tape circa 1989. I believe it thus has Macrovision although I can't actually be sure. Assuming that it did, my ancient VCR not only did a fine job of filtering that out but it also made a very fine quality DVD copy. I WAS going to make another DVD copy of that DVD (as a backup) using the first DVD copy, but as fate would have it that long-out-of-print VHS tape suddenly became available on DVD, released earlier this month. So when I found out about that, I just purchased the DVD (which has more material on it and also is supposedly a better "remastered" quality).

Now, comparing the new DVD to my DVD copy (from the VHS tape), I'd say that the new DVD quality is a bit better but the copy I made comes pretty darn close. And I'm sure the difference isn't a function of the copying process so much as being a function of the quality of the original VHS tape. It was brand new and unplayed when I got it, but the simple fact is (I believe) that no VHS tape can compete with a reasonably well-made commercial DVD for video quality.

Point being that my ancient VCR did a very fine job in making the DVD copy as compared to the commercial version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I've read this thread from top to bottom, all the way thru more than once!!!

To my knowledge RCA hasn't had this 8060N on the market too long, but since has been discontinued; therefore getting mine at a discount price.

I would just burn to PC from recorder but I have no DVD burner. I don't even have DVD in my PC. I never thought I'd need it in 2002 when purchasing my PC. I'm just not ready to go through the upgrade process.

I found out about Macrovision about 1992. No problem's transferring until the 90's.
My stabelizer has worked really well all these years.
As you say from VHS to VHS you lose picture quality, but I noticed the DVD picture quality is much better.

This is a 1999 movie, and I'm sure it must be encrypted very well. :-(

I wish you well on your next transfer. And thanks to you and David for "listening" and trying to help with my dilemma. I'm kinda techo challenged. But I love it when I get past those "blocks."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2532
All DVD recorders will recognize encryption. I have a Panasonic E-10, the first DVD recorder, it won't record protected material without a stabilizer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
David, just a clarification -

When you say "encryption" are you including Macrovision?

I understand that all DVD recorders would likely recognize Macrovision since it was around before DVD recorders were (I assume).

But when I said "encryption" I was referring to all the other copyright signals OTHER than Macrovision.

Thus I meant that older DVD recorders might not recognize the newer stuff like CSS, etc. and thus might work to record a newer DVD with those encryptions as long as you use a stabilizer to filter out the Macrovision.

Is that right?

I'd have to look again, but I thought you mentioned somewhere above about perhaps using an older DVD recorder ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2534
Older DVD recorders don't seem to be as sensitive to the copy flags in cable and satellite broadcasts these days. None of them will record protected VHS and DVD, unless they can be hacked, which only the older Lite-On recorders can be as far as I know.

Username: Kaiyadog

David...please help me. I've read those all the posts, but am still not sure I purchased the right thing. I went and bought this item on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D9718041245

I asked the seller if this is what I needed to tape Disney tapes. I told him that I had my VCR hooked up to my tv, and then my DVD player hooked up to my VCR. I can record home movies just fine, but get the copyright thing (like everyone else on Disney movies!) when I put in a Disney. This guy told me that I needed a Gen 2 stabilizer, that this one wouldn't work.

Can you tell me if this is what I need or if I need to pay this guy another $20 for the Gen 2 one he says I need?

And can you please email me at kaiyadog2020@yahoo.com I'll be at work by the time you email back.

Thanks SO much for your help!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2554
Are you trying to record VHS to DVD, or DVD to VHS? Any stabilizer should work for VHS to DVD. DVD to VHS is another story.

Hello again David. Thanks for getting back to me.

Were you able to go to the ebay auction page and see what I purchase? I am wanting to put my Disney tapes into my VHS player and record to my DVD. I can record home movies just fine, but can't record the Disney movies because of a copyright thing.

I purchased this thing on Ebay, but the guy tells me that it won't work. That it's just for VHS to VHS and DVD to DVD, but in reading some of your other posts, you say that it should work just fine.

Should I go ahead and use it, or should I pay another $20 more for the Gen 2 this guy says I need?

Thanks again for your help!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Anne -

You get what you pay for. I'm guessing that Disney uses the most advanced copy protection out there and thus might be some of the hardest to copy. How new are your Disney tapes that you're trying to copy to DVD? Are they earlier than 2000 or later? The stabilizer you purchased should work for Macrovision but maybe your tapes have other copyguards encoded in them. Or maybe your unit just isn't working.

You might want to check out ebay item 9715016683 and then go to that seller's feedback page and see some of the comments by some of his buyers of that particular stabilizer. You might even want to contact some of those buyers to get some more info on how well that unit performs. I've done that in the past with some success.

One guy says "WOW, THIS DEVICE ACTUALLY LET ME BACK UP ALL MY TOUGHEST COPYGAURDS" so it sounds like the thing works pretty well.

BTW, you say here that your seller told you that the one you bought would work for DVD to DVD, but that's not what his auction says. His auction clearly says "VHS-VHS & DVD-VHS". It also clearly says "For DVD-DVD or VHS-DVD, see my Gen-2 auction."

So he was pretty clear that the item you bought wasn't going to work for you since you were intending to use it for "VHS-DVD."

Username: Jc5

I have bought a panasonic dvd vhs recorder to like many others transfer my vhs to dvd. It will let me on older videos, but not anything that is Disney or anything from 1996 or newer. I want to take it back and get something that will work for that amount of money. I do not have a vcr or a stand alone dvd player at this time. I have heard that the lite-on dvd vhs recorder combo works the best because it doesnt have a strong write prtection on it. What should I do and what would be your suggestion on models or brand names? Thank you for your help!!

Username: Jchurch43

Denver, Colorado USA

Anne - I am purchasing the Gereration 2 Stabilizer TMax refered to. I'll post my comments here as soon as I've checked it out. Stay tuned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2556
Anne, any stabilizer should work for VHS to DVD. I copied The Parent Trap to DVD from VHS with a cheap stabilizer, they are basically all the same, without any problems.

Denver, Colorado USA

Anne & David - OK, I guess I'm right back to square one. I purchased the generation 2 stabilizer on eBay (new, still in the poly-packaging). Tried to copy "Jesus Christ, Superstar" to DVD, I,m still getting the copyright protection error message. David, I have a GoVideo DDV9000 dual VHS player/recorder and an Emerson EWR10D5 stand alone DVD recorder. The hook-up is simple, I can play commercial DVD and record from TV and playback, but can't copy the copy pretected VHS to DVD. Any suggestions?

Denver, Colorado USA

BTW, I double checked all the cable connections, they are correct.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2559
If it's like the MCM stabilizers, there's an adjustment inside you can turn if it doesn't work. If it uses a battery, a new alkaline works best.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
James -

Is it the MCA Home Video c1986 tape or the Universal Home Video c1998 tape? Also, exactly what does the error message you're getting say?

Username: Lmw

MA USA

Hi--I'm new here--thanks for all your help on this subject. Just purchased a DVD Red PRO and connected it between an external VHS/DVD player and a Panasonic ES30V DVD recorder. I have copied DVD to DVD like this before but wanted to copy an old MGM movie from VHS to DVD so I can get rid of the bulky VHS. I have followed the wiring diagram. I can get video but no audio--any suggestions?

Denver, Colorado USA

TMax -
The movie is Universal Home Video c1998. The error message is "RECORDING ERROR". Next line is "This program is not allowed to be recorded". In the bottom right corner of the screen is "E25". Also, David suggested I try adjusting the the stabilizer inside the unit. There are two adjustment screws inside. I adjusted both, tweeking each a hair at a time to no avail. I am still getting the same message.

Denver, Colorado USA

Hi Linda, Welcome.
We have a great bunch of people here trying to help each other. I'll bet you get the info you need too. Again, welcome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2564
Linda, did you connect the audio cables too? Are they on the same input as the video cable?

Username: Lmw

MA USA

David--yes, I did connect the audio cables--the player and recorder were already set up and working. I didn't change the audio set-up--I just inserted the Red PRO into the chain of the video connection.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2565
You say you've done DVDs. Does the combo have seperate audio outputs for DVD and VHS?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Anne (and James?) -

See this link entitled "Here's How You Copy Disney VHS Movies" which tells his story and also seems to confirm what I said earlier about Disney tapes being well-protected (he says "well encrypted against copying") -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/212618.html

James - I assume you've contacted your seller about his stabilizer? I'm guessing that perhaps it's your Emerson unit that's the problem, but that's just a guess. I'm thinking that the Toshiba R-D4 unit that Greg used is a bit older and thus perhaps not as sensitive to some newer encryption (although your 1998 tape shouldn't be too heavily encrypted, I wouldn't think). There's also a thread here on the Emerson units which references both your model (EWR10D5) and the EWR10D4 and they seem to have a variety of problems -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/131158.html

As you will find there, there's a firmware update for free, but I suspect that's not your problem.

I think you're down to doing some good old-fashioned troubleshooting. Try it again with a different recorder if you have access to one and/or troubleshoot the stabilizer to make sure that it is working properly.

Also check your manual to find the exact meaning of the E25 error code even though it does look like the problem lies with the copy protection, according to the onscreen message you got.

I think you'll find a reference in that link to an "E22" error code, which seems to be a disc-related error (not copy protection). That's the closest to your code that I've found so far.

David says that even a cheap stabilizer should work for VHS to DVD so if the one you bought is working properly, either you've got something hooked up wrong or there's something about your Emerson that's causing a problem. I wouldn't think your 1998 tape is the cause, although you might also want to try some other copy-protected tapes to see if you get the same error message.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
James (everyone) -

Have been reading some other threads at this site and came across the link to DVD Red Pro that one helpful person posted -

http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml

Check it out for information (like correct hook up) and note that your Emerson is on the "compatible" list. These guys claim it will work and also claim to fully guarantee the thing.

I think what you already bought on Ebay should work as well -- assuming it's working properly -- but apparently something isn't right with your setup. So maybe it's just that the stabilizer you purchased isn't working?

Hey again everyone! Thanks for writing me back guys, and Hello again to you James.

I just got my "Second Generation DVD video color corrector" in the main today. This is the only I mentioned I bought earlier. My question now is how do I hook it up?

Right now I have my VCR hooked up to my tv, and then my DVD recorder hooked up to my VCR. I can record home movies just fine, but get the copyright thing (like everyone else on Disney movies!) when I put in a Disney.

This box has a yellow video output and anothe input and then a s-video spot on both the output and input. Do I need this s-video thing? If so I need to go buy a cable for it, but I thought I'd ask you guys first to see if I needed it, and how exactly I've got to hook this little thing up.

Thanks all for your help!! I've read everyone else having the same problems too. I'll let you all know if I get this hooked up and if it works copying my stuff!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2569
You don't need to use s-video. Unless your VCR is an S-VHS, it won't have s-video. Connect the video out of the VCR to the in on the stabilizer, then out of the stabilizer into the DVD.

Me again guys!

David....I hooked up this stabilizer just like you said (and the guy I bought it from) and it still says 'protected content'. Is there something different I can do? I was told this Generation 2 stabilizer was what I needed to copy my Disney tapes, but it doesn't work. And I've tried several different Disney tapes of different years. If there's something different I could do, I'd sure try it!

OH MY GOSH guys!!! I don't wanna curse it and say I got it working, but I think I got it working!!! sssshhhhhhh....I'm not gonna say it too loud and jinx it! :-)

I've actually got a Disney tape in there (The Little Mermaid II) and it's taping, didn't bring up the 'protected content' at all. Now...I'm afraid to stop it and check to see if it's actually recording on my DVD, that'll have to wait until it's done playing, so I won't know until morning when I come and check on it. (Since I'm off to bed now.)

Anyway...thank you all for your help, and I'll let you know in the morning if it all worked....so the rest of you who are all trying to copy Disney tapes like I was will know what I used and where I got it so you all can get the same. I know it was a cheaper one then some of the ones I saw advertised. I think I got this one for $40.

I'll let you all know. Thanks again! (My KIDS thank you all too! You don't know how much they're going to LOVE this!)

Denver, Colorado USA

That is good news, Anne.
TMax - I am going to borrow a stand alone VHS player to use as a stabilizer as David suggested. I contacted the seller on eBay about the stabilizer I purchased. He said the stabilizer is not compatible with componant units. I would think it wouldn't matter if the componant unit (dual VHS) is the source unit, but he says it does. I think you're right, I have a lot of troubleshooting to do. Right now I am job seeking, not much time to play.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
James -

I don't recall David recommending use of a standalone VHS player as a stabilizer, but I do agree that's a good thing to try as opposed to using your dual GoVideo unit -- as long as you use your stabilizer WITH the standalone VHS player.

Like you, I don't know why your dual VHS GoVideo unit would be a problem when you use it only as a player for the source tape, but if both your seller and David agree it could be a problem, then why not try another player and eliminate that as one potential problem?

I'm the guy who's been recommending using an ancient VCR as a stabilizer. But it has to be an ANCIENT VCR. And as far as I know at this point in time, it will only work (for sure) to remove Macrovision. I do not yet know whether it will remove higher levels of copyright protection.

Stay tuned here because I hope to report further on that in the next couple of weeks or so.

My guess is that it won't. But I won't know for sure until I try. I'm confident that I can probably copy virtually any VHS tape (and if I can't, it's probably Disney tapes that would be a problem), but I'm wondering whether it will work on DVD to DVD, where there are higher level copyright encryptions involved. Using it that way, I'd be using a DVD player as the source and have my ancient VCR in line between that source and the DVD recorder -- same as you'd do with any stabilizer.

As for Anne's success, it would be nice to know what she did to get it working. Anne, how's about reporting back on that. Did you have it hooked up wrong before? Or did it just start working all of a sudden?

Or don't you know?

By the way, James, did your seller understand that you weren't using your VHS combo to make a copy "internally" (that is, from the player half to the recorder half)?

Did he understand that you were just using it as a standalone source for the VHS tape and then routing that signal thru the stabilizer to a separate standalone DVD recorder? Again, I don't see why your GoVideo dual deck wouldn't work just fine in that role. But I'm no tech, so I certainly can't opine in that regard. It's just that my common sense suggests to me that it should work when you do it that way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2572
There's no reason a combo can't be used as a player. If you look at the ebay listing, at least the one I saw, both the gen-1 and gen-2 stabilizers say not compatibile with Emerson and ILO DVD recorders. If you look back through one of these threads, there was someone with an Emerson that bought the MCM stabilizer and it didn't work, after trying everything he called and told them it was defective and they sent a new one that worked fine.

Hello again everyone.

To answer your question on what I did to get it working. The Gen 2 stabilizer I bought came with a yellow cable. When I hooked it up the first time I just used the cables I already had. For whatever reason, it didn't work, which was when I wrote the first time asking for help. I went back and for the heck of it tried taking my cable off and using the one that came with the stabilizer, though it was the same as mine, I figured I'd try it. And that worked. So...whatever using the wire that came with it did...that's what worked.

At least it's working!! Yea!!

Denver, Colorado USA

TMax-

An apology is in order. It WAS you who suggested using the older VHS as a stabilizer. I should know better than to depend on memory alone (at my age) to quote anyone.

Yes, I did tell the eBay seller what I was doing with my dual deck VHS player/recorder. In his reply, he mentioned that his description noted that the stabilizer was not compatible with combo units. I didn't see that in the description, but I did see where he mentioned it is not compatible with Emerson and ILO but I thought the ILO part was an Emerson Model. I just need to read descriptions better. I'm sure he is just trying to keep me from asking for my money back. If he needs $45 that much, he can keep it. I was just asking for a suggestion and he got his nose bent out of shape.

I'm going to start the trial & error process tomorrow. I'm sure, with you guys help, I'll get it working, sooner or later. Like I said, I'm job hunting right now, so I have to fit my play time in whereever it fits.

I'll stay tuned to see what is going on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hey Anne -

Thanks for that feedback. So it looks like the Gen 2 that you bought works to copy Disney (protected) tapes with no problem. And to hook it up, you just used the yellow wire that came with it, which is a simple connection, correct? You just hooked it up as is shown in the Red Pro link I posted above -

http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml

Right?

Which means you actually need two cables in order to hook up your stabilizer so that it's "in line" with the output from your VCR to your DVD recorder. Right?

Note that as per the hookup shown at that Red Pro link, all of the hookups are color coded. Yellow is for the video (the video wire, the video input connector and the video output connector), red is for right audio, and white is for left audio.

Also note at that link that there is another way to hook things up, which is called "Component Video." These wires and connectors are also color-coded (green, blue, red). But this hookup is only used IF your equipment supports it (both your player and recorder).

So, do you think there's any chance you may have accidentally hooked your original yellow video wire into one of these "Y" component connectors (if either your player or recorder has these connections)? I know that I did that once and it's pretty easy to do.

If it wasn't something like that then I guess maybe your original wire is bad, or maybe it wasn't making a good connection, or maybe the Gen 2 wasn't working and then just decided to start working, which is probably the least likely possibility.

In any event, everyone should be aware of those other connectors that might be on their equipment so that they don't accidentally use one of those.

Since everything is color-coded, be sure to pay attention to the colors as well as the labels on each of the connectors.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hi James -

No apology required -- I just wanted to be clear that if it was indeed my comments that you were thinking of, then your VCR needed to be an "ancient" one. There's no hard and fast definition for what's "ancient," but I'm sure my Akai is a circa 1986 or older. I think I purchased it (new) in '86 and it was fairly high-end at that time. That was back in the days when about the only thing broadcast in stereo was Miami Vice.

So maybe it was even a bit earlier than '86 (?)

Anyway, sounds like you may have found your problem (your Emerson recorder). His stabilizer is apparently just not compatible with your Emerson recorder.

I don't think the "combo" part pertains at all. I think what he's referring to there is the point that David has made many times, which is that you can't use any stabilizer with a combo unit; that is, when you're using the recorder part of the combo unit to record from the player part of the combo unit. And that's simply because the signal is "travelling" via the unit's internal wiring and thus there's no place to hook the stabilizer up between the "output" and the "input."

Actually, that's not always the case, as somebody here has already pointed out. There are apparently a few combo units which have an external output from the player as well as an external input to the recorder, and thus a stabilizer can indeed be used if you do it that way with one of those units.

But that's not such a common thing and it's also a bit technical, so the general rule generally applies (You can't use a stabilizer with a combo unit unless you have one of those combo units and want to do it that way).

I suggest you try your player and stabilizer with a friend's non-Emerson recorder and see if that works out okay. Then at least you know it's just your Emerson that's the problem (and not your player or stabilizer).

You might want to double-check, but I think your Emerson unit was on the "compatible" list for the Red Pro. I'm neither recommending nor not recommending that unit because I know nothing about it. It appears that some folks have raved about it while others have had problems with it. So whether the thing's any good or not, I can't say.

Tmax -

I just have the yellow/white/red cables not the red/blue/green ones. I know there are other dvd player and vhs players that have the Y component spots. Mine didn't. As I said..the only thing I did was take off the yellow cable I had going from the stabilizer to my DVD recorder and put the one that came with the stabilizer instead. Whether that cable was bad, I don't know. That's the only thing I changed and it worked.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks Anne -

But just to be clear, you DO need an extra cable to use the stabilizer (which is undoubtedly why it comes with the yellow cable).

Because normally (without a stabilizer) you'd just run your yellow cable directly to your DVD recorder. Once you want to introduce the stabilizer into the mix, then you run that wire into the input side of the stabilizer.

Hence you need another wire from the output of the stabilizer to the input of the DVD recorder.

So....., you must have originally had another cable that you were using, which you then replaced with the yellow cable that came with the stabilizer.

Since it's clear now that this other cable was the problem, can you tell us what kind of cable that was? I believe any kind of RCA cable (like an audio cable) should work, but I'm just curious whether it was an extra (yellow) video cable or what.

Also, please report back if you have any developments (i.e., you have problems recording a tape).

Thanks for the info -- it helps.

Denver, Colorado USA

Yup! It's the Emerson DVDR. Now I have to make a decision (I hate when I have to do that). I either need to get a better DVDR or get the Red Pro and hope it works. Looks like most people are having good luck with the Red Pro. I can record "Ellis Island" and several other 'unprotected' VHS movies. But "Jesus Christ, Superstar" and "Star Wars (Trilogy)" won't record. I even tried standing on my head and nothing worked. Well, it's decision time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2575
For the price of the Red Pro, you can get a far better recorder on ebay. I bought 2 Toshiba D-R4s for about $63 each. They have the best picture quality of anything I've seen.

Denver, Colorado USA

Thanks David, sounds like a plan. I'll check it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
As promised, here's the report on the use of my ancient VCR as a stabilizer for making DVD copies of copy-protected DVDs.

It does not work for that.

I tried it with "Dreamcatcher" which is a circa. 2003 DVD and thus I thought probably adequately copy-protected. I was able to copy that with no problem. I then took my ancient VCR out of the loop and found that I was also able to copy it with no problem that way.

?????

I was looking to get the "copy protected" message on the DVD recorder (which I'd never seen before because I'm new at this) but I never got it.

So then I tried "Seabiscuit" (also circa 2003) and got the message that copying was prohibited. So then I hooked my ancient VCR back into the loop and still got that message. Depending on just how I worked the process, I was able to copy a little bit of it (less than 30 seconds) before it automatically stopped the recording and popped the message onscreen.

So it appears pretty obvious to me that my ancient VCR does not filter out the copy-protection signal in DVDs, or some DVDs.

Why I was able to copy "Dreamcatcher," even without any stabilizer, remains a mystery to me.

If anybody knows why that might be, please chime in.

The DVD recorder is a 2005 Toshiba D-VR4X, which is a combo unit. I was using the "L2" inputs, which are at the front of the unit. My DVD player is a CyberHome CH-DVD 300 with a manufacture date of September 2005. I also have an older (circa 2001) Toshiba SD1700 player but I did not try that one to see if it made any difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2581
Not all DVDs are protected, most are, but I've seen some that aren't.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
After watching "Dreamcatchers" last night, which started out strongly enough, I can see why it's not protected. They probably wish folks would like to copy it.

It's Warner Brothers and says "No Copying" on it, but I didn't have any trouble copying it.

I didn't try to finalize it, if that means anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2584
If it burned, it'll finalize. I'd be surprised if a WB movie isn't copy protected.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
David - One more thing on this Dreamcatcher thing - I only recorded about 4.5 minutes of it. Is it possible that wasn't long enough to cause the copy protection to kick in?

I'd also be surprised if it isn't copy protected. I'm not saying it's not; I'm just saying that I was able to copy the opening 4.5 minutes of it with no problem and no sign of any message indicating copying isn't allowed, etc. I stopped after 4.5 minutes because I didn't want to copy the thing and I figured that was long enough to prove I could have kept going if I had wanted to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2590
If it's protected, you shouldn't be able to copy any of it. If you have a PC burner, you can check and see if it's copy protected or not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thanx. I don't have a burner so I can't check it out. I don't even have a DVD drive in my 'puter.

My friend does have a DVD drive but it's not a burner.

I can see that if you want to copy DVDs, the PC burner method is the way to go (over a standalone unit). That's what you've been saying for a long time. Looks to me like not only is that the preferred way to go, but it's probably the only way to go unless you are copying a DVD like this one, which for some reason is allowing copying.

Personally, I have no burning need (no pun intended) to copy DVDs, but if I ever do, I'll get a burner for my PC and do it that way.

It seems pretty clear at this point that my ancient VCR does not filter out the copy-protection signal that the DVD puts out, and thus the Toshiba recorder picked up that signal which then triggered it to deny copying. If there was also any Macrovision signal present, that would have been filtered out for sure.

But that does no good since the other signal works to tell the recorder to deny copying, which is what clearly happened with the Seabiscuit DVD.

So if I could have made a copy, it would have been free of Macrovision (if Macrovision was present in the first place). But since the Toshiba got the signal to deny copying, which obviously survived my ancient VCR, it refused to make the copy and that was that.

Which makes me wonder: Are there any hacks to recorders to prevent them from denying copying? Seems like if you can disable that function in your DVD recorder, then you can make a copy of a copy-protected DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2595
Only the older Lite-On recorders can be hacked as far as I know.

My friend has a DVD and a DVD Burner in her PC, had it setup so she would be able to rip from a purchased DVD movie and burn to a blank, but still unable to burn copy protected DVD's. I don't understand PC's but she has tried this and received the copywrite signal. So TMax don't get your hopes up unless there's something she can do to by pass the copy-write signal that I don't know about. And that is possible, I am very technically challenged when it comes to computers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2607
Use DVD Fab decrypter to put the disc on the HD, then use DVD Shrink. If she has Nero, Shrink will use it to burn, if not use DVD Decrypter, if you can still find it. Fab, Shrink and Decrypter are all free.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
G -

Just to clarify, you seem to be saying that your friend isn't able to copy copy-protected DVD's using her PC. David seems to be replying with a solution both as to method and suggested free software to use with that method.

I think David's on target here and that your friend just doesn't have the proper software to accomplish the ripping and copying of copy-protected DVD's. Or maybe she's just going about it wrong.

Because I think we all know that pretty much any copy-protected DVD can be ripped and copied on your PC if you use the appropriate software. And that there are lots of software options for doing that. And that it's going on all the time.

So there's no question in my mind that just about any DVD (and probably literally ANY DVD) can be ripped and copied using your PC and software.

I have no doubt about that. My point simply was that if you do want to copy DVD's, that's the way to do it rather than by using a standalone DVD recorder, as you would do when copying VHS tapes to DVD.

Because as far as I know now, there isn't even a way to copy a copy-protected DVD using a standalone DVD recorder unless you get lucky like I apparently did with Dreamcatchers, or there's some sort of stabilizer-like gizmo that works on copy-protected DVD's.

As David has been saying, there really isn't any such gizmo -- at least not one that's going to work pretty much all the time.

But copying using a PC should work almost ALL the time, I think. The fact that your friend is having trouble indicates to me that she's doing something wrong, rather than indicating that PC copying doesn't work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
BTW, even if you can copy a DVD to a standalone DVD recorder, you're not going to get all the menus and other goodies on there.

As you will when you rip and copy using your PC.

And as for PC copying working just fine, I just noticed that David's post, which is still at the top of this thread (at least as of this writing), says "A PC is definitely the way to go if you want to backup DVDs."

And he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

Thanks David and Tmax. I'll pass that on.

Another thought. Awhile back I borrowed a movie from a friend, they said I could make me a VHS copy if I wanted. And I did. I did not have my DVD Recorder then.
After purchasing my DVD Recorder and having the problem of trying to record from DVD to VHS, then back to DVD, I thought hmmm, lets see if I can record that copied VHS movie to DVD, just to see if Macrovision or copy protection had been transfered from VHS to VHS when copying. It was a 2004 movie. I had no problems. It went smooth as silk. This blows my mind!!!!

Username: Lthompson

Alabama

Hi guys, I have been reading and what I am trying to do is to record VHS onto DVD. I have a combo so I purchased a RF modulator and a Digital stablizer. I used Tmax diagram that he drew and had it all connected using a stand alone VCR that is connected with the stabilizer between the combo recorder and the old VCR. When I put the VHS movie in and a DVD+rw , i start the VHS first and then push the record button on the DVD recorder. It says that there is no tape in. Which is true in the combo side but i have my wires out on the stand a lone and in on the combo. I cant get past the combo saying its own tape deck is empty. How can I force The DVD recorder in the combo to record from the Stand a lone VCR player.
I think I have about lost my mind with this project.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2615
Set the recorder input to line. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels until you get to line. If you are planning on keeping the recordinds, use R discs instead of RW, they are more reliable and have better compatibility with players.

Alabama

Hi, David. I am pretty green at this. I dont know what you mean input to line. I have bought both R+ and RW+. I was using the RW so I could erase it and start over. I had tried to record so many times without the Stablizer and kept getting the familiar message.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2616
Either there's an input or auxilary button on the remote, or you have to go through the channels until you get to line.

Alabama

Ok I am at work as soon as I get home i will try it. I do have my manual here and it looks like there is both of those buttons on there. Thanks i will give it a shot. I will let you know.

Denver, Colorado USA

Hi David, looks like we are really taxing your knowledge base. I bought a Toshiba D-R4 on ebay. Took the Emerson out since the stabilizer is not compatible with it. This Toshiba is supposed to be a Multi Drive DVD Recorder Player. In the sellers description it talks about RAM. Since the unit is used, I only got a quick setup document with it. It doesn't mention how to record on RAM, only on the DVD-R or RW. The seller says I can go the the Toshiba web site and download the owners manual. Nope. Looks like Toshiba doesn't even make, sell or support DVD Recorders/Players. Can you clue me in on how to record to RAM so I can transfer THAT to a DVD? I put the Stabilizer in the loop to record from the VHS to the DVD-R but I still get the infamous message.

Username: Mccabet

Is there a way to remove Macrovision from the incoming coax cable? I have a DVD burner and would like to record TV shows.

Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2618
James, you need to format the disc is all. After the recorder reads the disc, press quick menu and select disc management, on the next screen select format disc. Here's the owners manual and installation guide both.

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/dvdr.asp

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 11
I'm back. There is no disk management option on the quick menu page. I must have a later or earlier model. I did find something called Management Settings on the SetUp screen, with an option for DVD-RAM Physical Format. When I press enter, it tells me to put a DVD in. The sellers description and writing on the box says this is a multi-drive DVD Recorder. I fail to see where the MULTI is in Multi-Drive. Isn't RAM supposed to be an internal hard drive like TIVO? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now.
Jim

Gold Member

Post Number: 2619
Multi-drive means RAM, RW, R in Toshiba's world. There isn't a HD, RAM is a disc. I thought you were trying to record on a RAM disc. If you're using an R disc, you don't have to do anything. If you're using an RW disc, it will say it needs formatted when you insetrt the disc, then you do it the way I said.

Alabama

Hi David,I found the input line and tried to copy a VHS tape to my DVD last night and all I could get was a message Insufficent Video Signal.The DVD said it was recording but was black or blank.
I put a new battery in the Stablizer and still get the same message. The VCR is an Emerson could that be the reason or do I have something connected wrong. Thanks again, Linda

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 12
I'm still confused. What is a RAM disc? Given the definition of RAM, Random Access Memory, wouldn't any DVD be a RAM? And, if all 3 media use the same drive, where is the MULTI in multi-drive? Sorry for three questions in a row, but this whole ordeal is not only getting expensive, it is getting very frustrating. Any more advice? (That's 4) :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2620
There are DVD-RAM discs. They aren't compatible with playeers except newer Panasonics and a few other expensive players. The advantage to RAM discs is they can be edited and recorded on in the edited spots. They can also do playlists of any scenes you want in whatever order you want. They don't need to be finalized like R and RW. R and RW discs are recorded sequentually like CDs. Multi-drive is just what Toshiba calls their burners, to them RAM, RW and R means multi. All you need to record is an RW or R disc. If you want to erase and reuse the disc, use an RW, if you want to keep the recordings, use an R. DVD-R discs have better compatibility with players, better reliability, and are cheaper than R discs. RW discs will need to be formatted before using, R discs don't need formatting.

Alabama

I hope someone can help me.I tried to copy a VHS tape to my DVD last night and all I could get was a message Insufficent Video Signal.The DVD said it was recording but was black or blank.
I put a new battery in the Stablizer and still get the same message. The VCR is an Emerson could that be the reason or do I have something connected wrong. Thanks again, Linda

Gold Member

Post Number: 2622
You probably have something connected wrong. Connect the 2 RCA audio cables directly to the recorder in from the VCR out. Connect the video out of the VCR to the in on the stabilizer, out of the stabilizer to the in on the recorder. If the recorder has more than 1 set of line inputs, make sure you've got it set on the right input. If the TV is connected to the recorder, you should be able to see what you're trying to record.

Alabama

I will try that. Thanks again

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 13
David,

Thanks for all your help, you've been great. I am going to try one last time to get this system to work, hopefully you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have the GoVideo VHS Player, the NoName Stabilizer, and the Toshiba D-R4SU DVD Recorder Player. I have the connections correct because I can record broadcast TV but I still get the copy protect message when I try to record Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. In fact, all copy protected VHS. I thought for sure, purchasing the Toshiba Recorder would solve my problem, so far, no can do. Can you help an old man who is technicaly challanged.

The Toshiba manual doesn't, of course, explain how to by-pass copy protection, so the manual really doen't help. Jim

Gold Member

Post Number: 2625
Does the stabilizer use a battery? If so is it good? Maybe you've got a defective stabilizer. The video connections should be, out of the VCR to the in on the stabilizer, out of the stabilizer to the in on the recorder.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 14
Yep, connections are as you say. I even reversed them just in case they were wired backwards. The stabilizer came with an A/C adapter so batteries are not a problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2627
I'd have to guess you got a bad stabilizer or adapter.

Bronze Member

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 15
Suprise. As a last ditch effort, I decided to try something rediculous. I put the stabilizer between the dual deck VHS and a single deck VHS, then hooked the second VHS to the original Emerson DVR. I recorded Star Wars & Jesus Christ Superstar. No problems & excellant quality on the copy. Go Figure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2630
At least you got it to work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us