Toshiba 32A50 A/V outlets fried? Worth repair?

Username: Avchallenged

Post Number: 1
Hello. This is my first post here, so please be gentle.

I have a five-year old 32" Toshiba 32A50 set that has gone weird on me.

Recently I purchased a Magnavox DVD recorder from Sam's Club, and was going to hook it up. I went into the Component video jacks on the Video 2 input on the back for this.
Unfortunately, it would not recognize the connection. I then decided I would try to wire my Dish Network DVR receiver through the Magnavox's S-video, and removed the S-video cable that was running from the Dish to the back of the TV.
When I did this, all hell broke loose.

For some reason, I can now only get video through my Video 1 outlet. The S-Video connection will not recognize on Video 1 at all. I wonder if something must've shaken loose, because I can jiggle the cord, and for a brief second, it will show a picture. However, when I take my hand off the S-Video, it loses the picture.

Here's where it gets weird, though.

Whenever I run the VCR through Video 2 using standard RCA, It will only play sporadically. And it makes a weird buzzing noise. Alternately, when I run the VCR through Video 1, it will buzz as well.

The video 2 jack will always pick up the Xbox, and if I run it to Video 1, it does so as well.

I cannot run the satellite receiver through Video 2's RCA either.

THe only connection I get is through video 1 now.

Could hooking the Component cable up fried the A/V input/output board? What about if the RCA's were plugged in wrong accidentally, or if S-Video had been temporarily plugged in with the video on the RCA?

I did put a lot of pressure on the jacks when pushing the connections in, but other than that, I don't get it.

Any suggestions?

I paid about 500 bucks for this thing, and up until I started screwing around with it, it worked just fine.

Would it be worth the cost to repair something like this? Any ballpark idea of a cost? The damn thing ways 121 lbs. or so, so I would have to have somebody come get it, which would also add expense.

Any and all help is appreciated, because I am extremely frazzled and perplexed over exactly why things are acting this way.

Thanks,

AV

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2689
Are you sure you're not dealing with bad cables and not a TV problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us