Very specific TV needs... What should I get?

Username: Xegoth

Post Number: 2
Okay, I'm looking for a flat tv (LCD?) to hang on my wall. I am finding it extremely difficult to find a TV to suit my needs. I'm hoping you guys can help. :-)

What I will be viewing:
Satellite TV and TIVO (SD?)
Xbox 360
DVDs (standard DVD, probably not HD-DVD)

What size I want:
30"-50"

Price:
Under $2,000 (with shipping included).

Lighting:
It will be in a fairly light area, but not subject to direct sunlight.

So what should I be looking at? I saw the Westinghouse 37" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV and the sony KDS-R50XBR1 looks cool, but what I really want is something that looks good with satellite TV and TIVo, the sony one will probably make those look like crap because its so large and high def.

What tv should I get?

Username: Mspearl

Post Number: 2
I will be buying a Dell pretty soon. Here is the link.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=5914&cs=19&l=e n&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Username: Pauln213

Corona, CA USA

Post Number: 8
Never, ever buy brands like Dell, Westinghouse, Maxent or any other cheap off brand. They are all made by other manufacturers (like Samsung) but are scaled waaaay back on quality to make for a pretty price tag. They are not worth the money. Here's the scoop. ANY large screen TV is going to look like crap when you play standard satellite or cable through it because the large image size exacerbates the poor quality of the signal. Even if you hook up your satellite box to the TV with S-video, its still going to look bad because the signal quality is bad. The only way to get a really good image from satellite is to pay for an HD subscription and connect to an HDTV via a DVI/HDMI or at the least component connection. Also, if you buy a 30-37" TV, chances are that once you get it in your house you are going to wish you had something bigger. Trust me. I am the VP of design and engineering for an AV integration company that has been doing this for about 14 years. If you really have a max budget of 2k, do yourself a favor and get a big rear projection CRT TV. You'll be glad you did. Dont sacrifice the viewing experience just so you can have something that looks cool hanging on your wall.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 232
One option is to go with a 34" wide crt direct view TV which you will get an ok picture with standard def. But these TVs weigh 200lb and are 25" thick. I have the sony 34XBR960 and love it.

Bronze Member
Username: Mspearl

Post Number: 18
My uncle had a 1951 ford with an automatic transmission. Here we are over 50 years later and standard transmissions are still around. Crt televisions are more reliable, less expensive and have a better picture than new technology televisions and should be around for a lot more years.

Username: Xegoth

Post Number: 3
Thanks! Sorry for the delay in my reply. I would get a CRT but I (unfortunately) don't have room for something that can't be hung on the wall. I have raised my budget to $3,000 now though since it seems to get a decent quality LCD tv I have to spend 3k.

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 11
you can get a good 40" lcd tv for $3,000. Hell, you can get a 50" Zenith plasma for $3,100. But I would definitely get high def satellite or cable. I recommend Dish Network HD.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us