Why do we have to "subscribe" to use a high-tech VCR?

Username: Kevin_of_austin

Post Number: 2
Of course I'm talking about a DVR. Tivo ruined it for us all! I hate the very idea of paying a subscription fee when all I want to do is record the program I already have selected on my satellite tuner? IT'S STUPID!

I've found only one reasonably priced option, however. I have an HDTV and tuner, so of course I want to record in HD if possible, or at least good quality. It would also be "nice" to be able to record to a DVD or record my existing (legacy) VHS to DVD a hard-drive.

The Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR combo with DVR (DMR-EH75VS)for about $420 at Circuit City seem like a great option! It gets it's guide data from TV Guide so no need for a Tivo subscription. I don't know, but I may be able to get the IR-Blaster to work with it, then I can use the Satellite reciever's guide. Either way - NO SUBSCRIPTION.

IF anyone know of other subscription free options for Dish Network or DTV users (I can switch based solely on this issue), let me know.

Username: Advrcopier

Post Number: 7
I think you will find the TV guide schedule does not support satellite programs. You will also find that some programs (mostly premium programs) cannot be recorded because of the copy protection flag. You can put a box between the satellite receiver and the DVD recorder to solve this problem, but you will still not be able to transfer some VCR's to DVD for the same reason and since you have a single unit you can not put a box between the VCR and the DVD.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 106
You had to either pay a monthly or lifetime subscription fee for your TiVo as well. A bit forgetfull perhaps Kevin?

Also Art is correct about the Sat guide data. Plus your dvd recorder will not record in HD anyway, only in 480i.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Did I say I had Tivo? I wouldn't be suckered into that scam. Tell me, what do you think you are paying for? The guide data? If you have satellite, then you already have the guide data. I'm not saying you shouldn't have to pay for the device (like you did when you bought a VCR at one point in time), but it doesn't make sense to pay subsripion fees for something you already have (the guide data, I mean).

ART - Are you saying the guide data I see on TVGuide.com is not the same guide data I would get through the TVGuide free service? Because that does contain all of the DirecTV and DishNetwork channel data.

Username: Advrcopier

Post Number: 8
Kevin, I am saying that every DVR I looked at said their on screen guide supports over the air and cable but not satelite. The DVR is looking for specific channels (broadcast or cable) that carry the imformation that the unit downloads for its TV guide. Satelite either does not transmit the information or it is encrypted or the DVR can't tune the satelite channel. The TV guide you see on the internet is not what drives the box. Some PC based products do use the internet for the TV schedule, but I know of no DVR that does. Years ago, my first satelite receiver could start my VCR allowing me to schedule recordings from the on screen satelite guide, but I have seen any newer boxes with this feature. I still have my first TVIO unit which I used to use with satelite but now use with cable. It gets it TV schedule over the phone.

Post Number: 5
OK, I see the confusion. I am talking about TVGuide's free service. This is similar to Tivo without the fees. Anyway, I'm just going to paste the CNET's independent review of the Panasonic DVR. I'm not knocking Tivo. If you don't care about the fees, it's fine. But I'd like to see a future where you can just buy a DVR like you do a VCR without having to pay extra monthly fees. I've had DirecTV for 10 years. If I had had thier DVR subscription for 10 years (with the current price) I would have paid $720.

Here's the CNET review:

Combination VHS/DVD recorders come in two flavors: cheap and easy components that make copying VHS tapes to DVD a breeze, and expensive, tweakable units for demanding video editors and gadget lovers. The Panasonic DMR-EH75V ($500) falls squarely into the latter category, with its ability to play back and record to three kinds of media: VHS, DVD, and a built-in internal hard drive. While its street price is about the same as a new TiVo Series2 DT's with three-year subscription, for example, the DMR-EH75V is packed with other features to justify the cost. The most notable extras include dual-layer DVD recording, HDMI upscaling, Panasonic's flexible recording feature, and a free TV Guide EPG, which advertises most of the pleasures of TiVo without the monthly free. In our testing, we were disappointed by the quality of the HDMI upscaling and the unit's compatibility with various discs, but it does just about everything else right. The Panasonic DMR-EH75V is a solid choice for enthusiasts since it boasts a ton of functionality, excellent video quality, and the ability to edit recordings--something that the TiVo-powered DVD recorders lack.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us