Samsung HLR4667w Service Menu question

Username: Duncanl

Post Number: 3
First - I entered the service menu for the first time and I think I may have changed something in the DNIE menu. There is an item named "Gain 1X". It is now at 16 which I think is the original. Does anyone know.

I am fairly literate and comfortable tinkering with settings. Are there any settings I could play with to improve what I think is the macroblocking problem?

Can DNIE be turned off in the SM? I have heard it can be but have not found instructions.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 706
That's close enough.

You could change all values to -0- and On-Off settings to Off except for the 128 values and the sub-contrast and sub-brightness values. Leave those where they are. This would effectively disable DNIE. Using the "-" and "Pre-Ch" will change values 100 at a time for those two that are 12,000. Adjusting the Index Delay up or down can improve the flashy blocking backgrounds. There is no magic universal value.

Post Number: 4
Thanks FYI for the info. I now have some new info through research. I think the problem I am having is "posterization", not macroblocking.

Is this an issue on just DLP or any HDTV?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 707
Describe posterization! I've never heard of that term. Is that a definition from an ISF tech?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 109
I think he means pixelation FYI.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 5
Here is a link the web site I found with video artifact examples. The example for posterization is what I am actually getting.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoArtefacts/VideoArtefacts.html

Here is another link that shows what I am seeing. It is very extreme in this photo but I get this effect in low lit shadowy backgrounds. I also get the occasional "clay face".

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=posterization

If I am not using the correct term please let me know.

Thanks, Larry

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 111
Ahh, banding, I learned a new term today Larry.

Thanks,

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 708
Very kewl link there, Larry!
Too bad he didn't give a cause, although it looks like much of the artifact problems are digital mpeg compression related. Encoder/decoder image area prioritization is exaggerated on a big screen HD display. Looks like todays HD sets are so good that the flaws of mpeg video transmission cannot be hidden. It's a growing pain that probably won't stand for long.

Post Number: 6
Hey FYI -

Yes I agree. I have finally come to the conclusion that my issue is mostly related to DVD limitations or poor dvd quality. Many dvd's look beautiful on this screen and I rarely have any issues with HD movies / sports over comcast. In fact my biggest issues now is I never want to watch SD programming and waiting out the HD DVD / BluRay situation.

Thanks for your input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us