Help needed Please..... NYC area.

Username: Sdmnyc

New York City, NY

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I'm in Need of some help with receiving HD. I plan on buying a new television, well actually its a monitor, Westinghouse LVM-37w3. i know that it does not have any tuner built in of any type so i will need a STB. I have basic cable with all local channels and some extra channels from Time Warner, which i got in a package with High Speed Internet. I do not have a cable box, the cable comes straight from the wall. I bought the Samsung SIR-T451 to hook it up to my 20" LCD Monitor and see if i could get some HD before i bought the Westinghouse, I connected the cable from the wall to the "ANT IN" on the Tuner and had it hooked up with DVI ( got no Signal at all ) hooked it up with RGB ( got no Signal at all ) Hooked it up with S-Video (no signal) i couldnt get any type of TV in 480i/p, 720p, 1080i.. nothing.

I would like to understand what i am doing wrong before going ahead and purchasing the Westinghouse 37w3. should i be able to receive HD or some type of Television straight through the cable instead of an antena? I live in New York City, so im around the local stations. did i buy the wrong type of tuner? My goal is to have the Westinghouse Monitor hooked up in a way to recieve SD and HD through my cable from the wall and a tuner. Anyone have this set up? how would i go about getting it set up this way?

Please, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 940
Sal, that Sam 451 is designed to receive over the air HD broadcasts. It will not decode your premium cable channels, including the HD channels TWC offers on your cable line. That means the 451 needs a regular TV antenna to receive broadcast HD TV channels in your area. That ANT IN label on the tuner means exactly that.....not CABLE IN.

What I would do is keep your basic cable setup as is and use the 451 with an antenna to receive HD stations for free. If there are no problems with your location affecting reception, then the broadcast HD signal will be better than the compressed HD signals Warner sends to its customers.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 941
Hold the phone here Sal. Some quick research on my part has confirmed there being no tuner in that Westy. Not even an old-fashioned one. Not good.

My goal is to have the Westinghouse Monitor hooked up in a way to recieve SD and HD through my cable from the wall and a tuner.

The obvious and easiest way to your goal is to rent TWC's HD cable box. Come to think of it, it's the only way. That would avoid the unsightly rabbit ear antenna the Sammy 451 needs.

You could take my suggestion in my first post to you above if you buy another TV with a standard cable-ready tuner built in. That Westy does look good though. The only thing that would bother me is its rather low contrast ratio. Ah, but it is an LCD after all. In any case, with that pixel count on a 37" 16:9 screen, the picture should be dazzling.

Bronze Member
Username: Magredc5

Southern New Hampshire

Post Number: 11
Sal said that he knew the Westinghouse didn't have a tuner and he knows his option is to get the cableco's STB but want's to see what he can get in-the-clear with a standard tuner. And ANT1 does not necessarily mean ANTENNA and not CABLE.

Sal: A quick check of the Samsung SIR-T451 shows that it will only work with cable when the cableco is passing 8VSB broadcast format (the format used in OTA) on their service.

Try this - go into the SETUP menu on the Samsung. In the MEMORIZE CHANNELS menu, select one of the 3 CABLE options (STD, HRC, or IRC). I'm not sure which would be correct, but if your cableco is transmitting 8VSB then the Samsung should detect and memorize the channels. It's possible that the box defaults to AIR (OTA) so it didn't detect anything. Let us know how this works out.

Otherwise the cableco's STB is the way to go.

Username: Sdmnyc

New York City, NY

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it, well im happy to note that i am receiving 10 HD channels now. I bought an antenna and hooked it up to the T451 to my Monitor, (NBA game on Sunday looked awesome in HD), everything seems to work great. I will now purchase the Westinghouse LVM 37w3 knowing i will be able to get HD. I am still wondering how i can get my basic cable to show video, One thing to mention is.. On the Sam T451, there is a logo "HDTV"" and when that lights up, that means it is getting signal... since i have done a scan when my cable was plugged into the tuner... I was getting signal up on channels like 85,93,95,97,102..etc. but no video... i have to figure out why it is seeing channels and getting great signal but no video. I plan to have my configuration as so.... Antenna to Tuner, HD Tuner to TV by DVI-HDMI Cable, Component cable from DVD player to TV, and DVI cable from PC to TV... Now i am not sure how this works exactly but here is a link to this device... http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1207 ...is it possible.. to connect my cable and have composite cables running from this to the TV? what do you guys think?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 948
"...is it possible.. to connect my cable and have composite cables running from this to the TV? what do you guys think?"

That device is simply an RF modulator. It is disigned to be used with older TVs that have only an RF antenna input. It does not contain a cable-ready tuner, which is what you need.

A cable-ready external tuner like this would work.

http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/graphics/prod/tvtuners/tunergxcp.shtml
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us