Samsung DLP Problem

Username: Jjpj

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 5
I had the Light Engine replaced in my HL-R4667W last week under Samsung warranty. This is difficult to explain, so bear with me...

Since the replacement, I've noticed that despite tweaking the standard settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc), blacks on the screen appear to be washed out. Leaves on trees in dark settings, people with black hair, shadows on faces, etc. appear unusually plain... almost like the picture is being shown in negative in those places. Looks like bad computer game graphics. I've entered the service menu and verified that the Index Delay, SP Actuator, and CCA settings match those that were specified by the Adjustment Instruction that came with the new light engine (BP96-00822G).

Does anyone have any idea what settings might need to be changed to correct this? I've read a lot in the discussions about changing the DNIe settings, but I'm not sure that this is the problem.

Please help!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 688
I thought you did a pretty good job of explaining the condition. It's a fairly common problem that can be reduced if not nearly eliminated by tweaking some settings in the service menu and using a calibration disk. I think it's a shame that a Samsung tech left you with this condition. I would pursue it with Samsung until a real tech shows up.

An ISF calibration is well worth the investment, but only if there is not some major malfunction going on.

You can try some things on your own. Find a DVD that really shows the condition at it's worst and enter the SM. Adjust the Index Delay up and down to reduce the macro-blocking. You will find that it will worsen in both directions, so, you are looking for a mid balance. My Actuator Gain is 67, but your optimum setting may be different. The CCA settings should not cause this effect nor the DNIE, though I have my DNIE completely shut down because it exaggerates edge enhancement. It's more of a grey scale calibration problem. If you don't have a DVE or Avia disk look for a THX calibration on a DVD. Movie mode gives the best grey scale response to these adjustments.

If you can't make an improvement I doubt a Samsung tech will either. At that point you need to demand another light engine or a replacement set.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Username: Jjpj

Virginia Beach, VA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice, FYI. Your recommendations worked well... I also changed the Gamma Setting from 2 to 1 and this made a large difference too.

I still need to get a calibration DVD, though. What do you recommend - Avia, THX, or something else?

Also, my warranty on the TV expires in July - would you recommend extending it an additional year, or have I already voided the warranty by entering the Service Menu myself?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 694
I used the THX at on the "Ladder 49" DVD.
Extended warranties are a good idea.
No, you haven't voided your warranty.
Glad things are looking better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us