Upscaling

Username: Jaffafergus

Post Number: 1
I currently have a Samsung 32'CRT(slim fit TV)(HDTV 1081 Ready)connected with Monster component leads. I am considreing buying a DVD upscaling machine either the Samsung 950 or Toshiba 350e. My first question is which is the best machine and secondly will these machines perform the upscaling functions through these leads. Although both machines have HDMI connectivity by TV does not.

HELP

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 162
Hmm, I do not have experience with those brands however; I have plenty of experience with upscaling. First, I don't think you need one for a 32in cathode ray tube. At that screen size I doubt you will notice a significant difference, so if you could audition one, instead of flat out buying it then I suggest you try that route. Second, You cannot upscale with component for some reason. With DVI or HDMI, you skip any storage and go straight to the end circuit (your TV) which is no issue, but with component, info is temporarily "stored" in the DAC on your DVD, which apparently has some copy protect/legal issues. So it is a complicated and quasi-illegal rigmarole to view upscaled movies via component. You have to burn the commercial discs onto one of your own. So without the copy-protect on your burned copy, you can upscale just fine over component.

The 950 looks like a good buy, and it comes with its own HDMI - HDMI, and HDMI - DVI cables, pretty cool. A fairly run of the mill DAC though, if you look at my profile, the DVD player I have uses a 12 bit DAC. Otherwise the 950 seems to edge out the Tosh, but not by much... if price is an issue, go with the Tosh.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2567
Everything Samsung makes is unreliable. Toshiba DVD players used to have power supply problems, I don't know if they've fixed the problem or not. If you want upconverting, Panasonic or Oppo might be your best bet. Panasonic has had spindle motor problems in the past, at least with the DC brush motors, but I'd think an upconverting player would use a direct drive motor, which doesn't have problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Gmanchefboy

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14
They say a little knowledbe is dangerous, which makes me a killer. That being said, I'm going thru the same dilema as you. I have a 34inch, HD, Panasonic CRT with no HDMI or DVI. There is evidently a hack for the Samsung, but there seems to be some debate on whether Samsung has blocked its ability to work on it's latest production units. Check this post https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/147226.html
While some seem very excited that they were able to get the hack to work, I didn't read anyone stating that it made a huge difference in picture. I also read some less than stellar reviews of the Samsung on Cnet and Sound&Vision. One member posted that the LG LDA 531 DVD performed the upconversion, but I read on another site that it will not work with copyright protected material. I assume one would have to use the above stated burn process. I posted the question as to whether their were any opinions about the Samsung vs. a high quality Progressive Scan player, but unfortunatly, have yet to get a reply. I don't even have Progressive Scan, relying on the TV's built in line doubler. Evidently, this comes close, but is not quite as good. Then again, I'm not sure if it will make much of a difference on our small screens. If that's the case, I'll be shopping for a player with superior sound quality. Hopefully we'll figure it here shortly. Good Luck!

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 101
I agree with the others. I would suggest a quality DVD player and not concern yourself with upscaling as the visual difference would be far less important in generating a quality picture. The Panasonic 97 and 77 are HDMI, fully support 480p via component, and provide excellent video processing in relation to their cost.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

This link should help you make an educated decision and provides a wealth of knowledge on video processing technolgy.

Hope this helps.

Username: Jaffafergus

Post Number: 2
Michael , David, GmanChefboy and Westcott

Thanks for the advice

J

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1405
James: After reading all of the above, may I humbly suggest that you look at the Cambridge Audio DVD 89 or the DVD 87 (without HDMI upscaling) I think you might find these superb British players to be much better than Tosh or Samsung - and if you go Online to Audioadvisor.com you can get the machines for a very fine price! They have 12 bit DACs, BTW.

Read up on CA, and I think you'll be most pleasantly surprised. BTW - I've got a DVD-87 coming my way early next week. You can read about my efforts on the Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks thread on the Home Audio forum.

Bronze Member
Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 23
I can only go from my own experience. I bought the Sammy 950 and hooked it up to my Sharp Aquois via the HDMI. The upscaling was terrible. Then I hooked up via the DVI. Again, terrible. So just out of curiosity, I hooked it up via the component. The picture quality was better but still not worth spending the money over my standard Sony DVD player. So I sold the 950 and bought a Pioneer S77. Same thing! Upscaling (at least in my opinion) is not where its at. I believe you would be better off waiting until the HD DVD's come down in price and pick up one of those. Again, just my opinion.

JF

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 196
Odd how hit-and-miss it seems. My LG upscales very well, I have been able to compare it to true HD sources and against 480p over different sources, and it looks great. I have also heard he same comments as the above. Oh well, I am happy...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us