DVD Player, To VCR To TV

OK I have it all hooked up, what I need to know is how do I get away with hooking it up with out needing an RF Modifier. The Book says I need one because of the going in and out of dark spells. All because of the encytption chip deal. But I have to hook it up that way because I only have a screw on type coaxle hook up on my TV( I know it is old).
So how do I hook it up from DVD to the VCR and then to the TV with out haveing to use a RF modifier?

Derek
You may as well get an RF Modulator. In your current configuration, your VCR is acting as one. It shouldn't make a difference.

See http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=11978004&St=4318&St2=42540716&St3=80878757&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117904&DID=7 for a modulator/switcher or head to Radio Shack.

that is what I hate about all this encryption stuff. I mean all I want to do is watch them and I have to go out and buy an extra peice of gear that can cost more then the DVD player

OnkyoOwner
Durek- an RF modulator can be purchase for around $20 at Best Buy, Circuit City.

Anonymous
I don't have an RF modualtor, it's 2 hrs away. How do I hook it up for the time being with out one? It would be a great help!!!

dcorleon
Please Help!! I have a RCA TV with 75 ohm cable connection and rca video inputs on the back. I was running my dvd player through the VCR, but the Micronotzi was too much for me. I want to hook my dvd player straight to my tv, but I don't have any type of input selection on my tv. I have a 10 yr old RCA F26051EM. I just want to be able to watch dvd's in my bedroom.

Derek
Use channel 3 for the VCR and connect your DVD player directly to the TV. You wont be loosing much on the VCR and you will be gaining a lot on the DVD.

Did you get the TV to work with the DVD. If so, how? I have the same TV. I have connected the DVD to the component inputs of the TV. I have connected the VCR, as well. It seems as though all that is needed is a video switch that neither has. I hoe you can help? Thanks in advanced

Hi. I just ran across this forum as I was looking for additional info on the RCA F26051EM (passed on to me from my parents) and it has more features than you seem to be aware of, mainly both composite RCA and S-Video! However there is only one set of RCA audio inputs, so here is how I have mine set up for using both VCR and DVD with maximum image quality without any Macrovision issues. You will need to have a VCR with a set of RCA line inputs for this to work.

***Note that S-Video and composite RCA on the TV are selected by punching in channels 90 and 91 respectively. The S-Video jack is a little difficult to spot but is located diagonally down and to the right of the threaded RF jack.

Here's how it's all put together: The VCR is connected with RCA cables to the RCA inputs on the TV (accessed via channel 91). My DVD player's L/R audio is running via RCA cables to the VCR's line input (L/R audio only). The DVD's video is running via S-Video cable to the TV's S-Video jack (accessed via channel 90).

So how to use all of this? To watch a VHS tape, punch in channel 91 on the TV and use the VCR as normal. To watch a DVD, punch in channel 90 on the TV, turn on the VCR and put it on the line input. This passes the DVD player audio through the VCR to the single set of inputs on the TV but sends the video signal straight to the TV.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Anonymous
What is the hook up solution for a DVD recorder (Philips DVDR985) to a TV & RF Modulator, cable box, and VCR. Im having problems when trying to record from the VCR to DVD - the vcr plays but nothing shows on the TV screen.

Todd A
Cameron, Thanks for the information about channels 90 and 91. I knew there had to be a way to get input from the S-video, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks again!

i connected my dvd player to my tv but when i play a dvd there is not sound or picture. i also have a vcr - not hooked up to the dvd
sandy

INSTALLGUY
MAKE SURE YOU TURN ON YOUR TV HA HA

Hello-I have a similar problem with an rca tv, but unfortunately our tv does not have an s video in. It is a f27255bc. It has rca ins. We tried running the dvd through the vcr, but get color shifting issues. We do not have the original remote with the tv- any suggestions. We did check on the channel 90-91-but still ahven't gotten the DVD to show up on the tv. Please e-mail a response if you have one.
Thanks!!
Wendy

Installguy
some rca's channel 00 is the video input. or if you can get in the menu from the front panel. you can goto the add/del channel list and put the input in the channel list. if none of this works an rca universal remote should work everything on the tv. you can pick one up at wal-mart for $15 or so.

I am trying to connect dvd player to my vcr to my
tv which does not have the three jacks .

Anonymous
how do i hook a vcr to a vcr without going threw the tv and record?

How do I hook up my dvd player and vcr to my tv? In simple terms please.

ajb
i need help to connect my (coby) dvd player up to a (sony) vcr

I am trying to transfer home movies from a Sony Hi8 video camcorder to my new Cyberhome DVR 1500 player/recorder...I managed to get a transfer to dvd+rw disc, (tried a dvd+r disc as well, no luck) but playback is garbled (audio), jumpy and skips (video). I don't know much about all of the hookup possibilities, but I do have s-video capabilities, dvd, tv, and analog video camera (camcorder). Can anyone make a helpful suggestion that might help before I take the dvd player back to Radio Shack? Please email me at Tye1on28763@aol.com

Anonymous
I have a KLH DVD player, a Panasonic VCR, and a 10 year old 19" mono TV without any inputs other than the round thing that connects to the VCR. I have been told that when I put the DVD inputs into the VCR and tried to play a DVD it did not work all I got were a lot of lines and static. This was not simply a warped picture but no picture at all. I tried it with the VCR power both on and off. Does this mean I have a defective DVD player? or is a RF modulator required. I would hate to have to spend money on a RF modulator, it would cost more than the DVD player.

Also when I tried to record a timed record of a TV program on the Panasonic VCR when I went to watch the program it had a very bad picture sometimes black and white, sometimes color, and sometimes static with a barely visible picture. Was this the result of the DVD player being conected (the power on the DVD player was off) or does this mean I have a defective VCR?

I also have an old Sharp VCR which was damaged when movers moved it and it keeps spitting out the video casette as a result would this make a better connection for the DVD player.

Anonymous
I have a KLH DVD player, a Panasonic VCR, and a 10 year old 19" mono TV without any inputs other than the round thing that connects to the VCR. I have been told that I could connect the DVD player through the VCR however when I put the DVD inputs into the VCR and tried to play a DVD it did not work all I got were a lot of lines and static. This was not simply a warped picture but no picture at all.The DVD I used was an advertisement DVD so I doubt it has any copy protection. I tried it with the VCR power both on and off. Does this mean I have a defective DVD player or is a RF modulator required? I would hate to have to spend money on an RF modulator, it would cost more than the DVD player.

Also when I tried to record a timed record of a TV program on the Panasonic VCR when I went to watch the program it had a very bad picture sometimes black and white, sometimes color, and sometimes static with a barely visible picture and garbled sound. Was this the result of the DVD player being conected (the power on the DVD player was off) or does this mean I have a defective VCR or did this occur for some other reason?

I also have an old Sharp VCR which was damaged when movers moved it and it keeps spitting out the video casette as a result, would this make a better connection for the DVD player.

Unregistered guest
I need HELP!! Just received our first dvd player today. I have dish network sat., mag vcr, and Toshiba tv. How do I hook all of this up where everything works????

Unregistered guest
Help, I installed modulator on RCA xl 100 and dvd but no signal is playing, nothing is there but static, Help please
Barry

mustang6119
Unregistered guest
is it at all possible to record a movie (on dvd) to a video (vcr)!!!

Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect an apex Dvd player to a Vcr and a digital cable box HELP

Unregistered guest
im trying to copy my dvd movies to a single vhs tape with long play

its the matrix trilogy and i want them all on a single vhs tape

how do i copy them when i try all that happens is little lines come up vhs player makes some weird noises and it cuts out for about 30 seconds goes back to normal then starts again with the noise lines and cutting out

is there a way around this?

Unregistered guest
how to make copies of camcorder casette into vcr casette ?? i can make play those vedio in the tv but i am unable to record in the vcr... i have SONY camcorder & HITACHI vcr. pls help me.

Lawry
Unregistered guest
I want to copy some DVD on my VCR , but is imposible. I use a Hometheatre Philips MX 5500 D and a VCR Philips VR 740 . I've respected all the indications from the Hometheatre's User Guide but ....,nothing !!!

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 59
DVDs are copyguarded, you need a stabilizer to copy them.

Lawry
Unregistered guest
Thanks, David but I think that something is wrong on the "steps" that apears on the User's Guide. I've also tried to copy some VCDs and SVCDs ( unprotected - this time- ) , so the result was the same. What is that "a stabilizer" and how that it's working ? Thanks again , Lawry

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
The stabilizer is a box made to remove the macrovision on the DVDs, you just hook it between the DVD and the VCR. The way you should have them hooked up is the RCA jacks out of the DVD player to the in RCA jacks on the VCR, then you have to change the VCR from tuner to line.

Bronze Member
Username: Xol

Post Number: 32
You may use this one
http://www.dimax.com.ua

Username: Troyb

Post Number: 1
I have a DVD, separate VCR and a TV with DirecTV satellite. I have tried and tried to hook this DVD up but cannot do so. The TV and VCR are both RCA models and both less than a year old. The DVD I won in a contest and is a cheap brand (Progressive Scan) and very small. I bought the cable to connect but cannot get the DVD to work at all. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
What connections does the TV have? The DVD player hooks to the TV with RCA jacks, or an S-video cable. The best way is the component inputs if the TV has them (three seperate inputs for video) if not then it hooks via an S-video cable or three RCA jacks, one for video two for audio, preferably S-video cable if not component. If using the triple component for video or an s-video cable you still need the two RCA jacks for audio. Then the TV needs to be put on whatever input the player is connected to.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the info David . I already have the S-video cable. The connections are color coded: red, white and yellow. I was under the impression that with the S-video cable , I would not have to connect the yellow cable. There are two sets of audio on the back of the TV. I think my problem is somewhere in programming the TV to be compatible with the DVD. If you have any further suggestions that would be helpful, please let me know. Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
There shouldn't be any programming or compatibility problems. If you are using an s-video cable then the yellow RCA jack wouldn't be used. The two sets of audio jacks are probably one input, where the DVD jacks go, and one output for connecting to a receiver. You need to get the TV on line or auxiliary or whatever RCA calls it, there should be an input select on the TV or remote.

Post Number: 3
Thanks David.......I will give that a try. Appreciate all of the information.....I am not very technoligically coordinated.

Unregistered guest
I have a magnavox tv model (ms3252s) as well as a magnavox dvd recorder (mdv630r) and an rca vcr currently I am using a VHF/CATV Signal Amplifier for the tv and vcr which has negated the need for a splitter. The dvd recorder is hooked up but only to play dvds not record

my tv has all the audio/video inputs and an s cable connection

I have been following the istallation instuctions in the dvd recorders owners manual but so far I have not been able to get it hooked up properly in order to record if anyone out there could please help me that would be great. I too am technoligally challenged.

I have the S-VIDEO cable installed as well as the supplied red/white audio cables. what I am confused about is settiing up the dvd recorder to record.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
If you don't use a cable box then hook the incoming cable to the in on the DVD recorder, then go into the menus and program the channels. It will auto program the channels, you just have to start the autoprogram. If the cable was hooked up when the recorder was first plugged in it should have programmed them by itself. If you use a cable box then set the recorder on whatever channel you normally set the TV on to record, then set the cable box on whatever channel you want to record from. I haven't used cable in many years, but if you do use a cable box and it has RCA or s-video outputs you would want to use those instead of coax.

Username: Museric

I have a RCA f25305 TV and I have tried the RF modifier route, and the result is no picture at all, just static. I have followed the directions very carefully and connected everything exactly as shown. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
Explain how everything is connected.

Unregistered guest
I have a 16yr. old RCA XL 100 and love it, and do not want to buy a new tv. My problem is I just got dish t.v. and it won't work with it, any advice?

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Dish Network you mean? No reason it wouldn't work. Hook it up and put the TV on channel 3.

Unregistered guest
Hi David, I tried again with channel 3 but it still won't work. The Dish Network tv installer said the reciever would only work on channels 60 or 73, my tv is not getting ch.73 and the reciever is not working on ch.60.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
60 or 73, strange. I had Dish Network a year ago and it was on channel 3. If it's an old TV then the VHF and UHF should have seperate inputs, if so then you need a band splitter so you can hook into the UHF connection.

Anonymous

We just connected our Tashiba DVD player to our TV and we cannot get a color picture.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Are you using one of the component outputs instead of the composite?

Unregistered guest
New phillips TV (nothing fancy, stereo, side jacks etc), older 8-9 years old magnox vcr - hooked up w/cable to vcr w/coaxil...vcr to tv.
When recording - play back is bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
Use RCA jacks instead of coax. VCR probably needs cleaned.

Unregistered guest
Hello. I'm attempting to record DVDs to VHS. I know that there are issues with protection controls. I'm wondering if it's possible to do this if I buy a stabilizer.

Here is my setup:
APEX AD1500 DVD player with coaxial, S-video and RCA outputs. Emerson VR4250 VCR with CATV and RCA inputs (2 yellow) and CATV output. The TV has S-video, CATV and RCA inputs. We are currently connecting our cable TV through the VCR to the TV.

It seems to me that I could connect the DVD player through the VCR to the TV and record DVD. I'm not sure whether to use the coaxial out on the DVD or the RCA out. If I use the RCA outs on the DVD, there are two yellow plugs for video out and two plugs (one white, one red) for audio out. There are only two plugs on the VCR for the incoming signals (video - yellow, audio - white).

Any suggestions for what I should do? And which stabilizer to buy?

Thanks for the help.

Unregistered guest
This is an update to my previous message above. I've since found a firmware upgrade for the DVD player so I'm assuming that I won't need the stabilizer, but I haven't been able to get a signal from the DVD through the VCR. I have an RCA cable (red, white, yellow) connected to the VCR through a converter (white, red --> mono). I was thinking that the coaxial would transfer the signal to the TV, but I'm not getting anything. Do I need another RCA cable from the VCR to the TV?

Yikes. I have pictures if you want to see the setup. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
Set the VCR to line.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply.

Here are my choices when I program the VCR:
CATV --> TV or TV --> CATV

This setting doesn't seem to change anything. Or is there another way to change the VCR to line?

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
On the remote or the unit there should be an input or auxilary button.

Ed Anderson
Unregistered guest
It worked! I can't believe it. Thank you so much.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I just purchased a Toshiba DVD player and have it connected to a 10 year-old Mitsubishi TV. Regardless of whether I connect them using the composite cable or S-video, the picture will periodically scroll. It may be my imagination, but it seems to do this more when the screen goes to all black or darker colors.

I tried the DVD player with a smaller, newer TV and I didn't see any scrolling. Is my TV just too old or is it something with the signal being sent by this particular DVD player that my TV is having issues with? Thanks!.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
A 10 year old TV should be able to play DVDs without problems. I use an 11 year old Panasonic with a player and recorder both and have never had any problems. Look in the TV menus and see if there is anything you can set up different.

Keith Ramsdell
Unregistered guest
It doesn't appear that there's anything significant I can change other than color, tint and so forth. I can't adjust horizontal hold for example. I've also notice that I only have picture issues during certain scenes on a DVD, and often only the bottom half of the screen is shaky or scrolling. Does this help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
I was thinking more like TV setup than picture adjustments. Maybe it's the player and you just don't see it in the smaller TV. Compatibility can be a problem on almost anything, you might try another player. I don't like Toshiba products myself, too cheaply made for me.

charles
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC LCD TV and have just purchased a Samsung DVD-V4600 which is a combined DVD and VCR. I would like to use a component cables to connect the DVD to the TV but since I have a cable TV connection the only connection for component video connections on the TV is being used for the cable connection so that I can receive HDTV. Should I simply use a S video connection for the DVD?

Anonymous

I have an RCA XL100 which is probably 5 or 6 years old. I'm trying to hook up a DVD, but I have no kind of connection whatsoever on my TV, except for the cable/antenna entry. What do I need?

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
An RF modulator. I would think a TV that new would have RCA inputs somewhere. Are you sure it's only that old?

kayleigh
Unregistered guest
hi i was wondering......... i have a dolby digital dvd player and i was wondering how do i hook it up to my cable box i have adelphia cable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
You don't hook a DVD player to a cable box, it hooks directly to the TV.

Kristi
Unregistered guest
10 yr old mitsubishi TV..shows only black and white when hooked up to a newer DVD player. how do i fix this??
Kristi

Kristi
Unregistered guest
10 yr old mitsubishi TV..shows only black and white when hooked up to a newer DVD player. how do i fix this??
Kristi

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Are you using the component output instead of the composite?

Skip Spence
Unregistered guest
I just bought my first DVD player, and I seem to be having a similar problem as others, but have not been able to remedy. I have a 15-yr-old Sylvania, no remote, which has the A/V plus in the back. I connect the DVD to the TV, but nothing happens, and I have no way to change the INPUT. (I do have an INPUT button on my DIRECTV remote, which I use as universal, but it's not doing anything.) Any advice? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
Try a different Sylvania code on the remote if there is one. Try other buttons on the remote. If neither work get a One For All remote, they have the highest compatibility, though any universal remote should work with something that old. Universal remotes that come with equipment don't have anywhere as many codes or as good compatibility as a real universal remote does.

xtms
Unregistered guest
how do i link a dvd/video combo to my tv via a cable box have tried just linkink scart sockets but does not work unless i connect the rf leads

RPorter
Unregistered guest
My daughter has an RCA TV model F25305 and we don't see any place to hook up a DVD. Do I understand she can hook up a VCR to the TV and then some how, the DVD to the VCR?

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
If there are no RCA inputs you need an RF modulator.

Hthegator
Unregistered guest
I have a TV card in my PC and I'm trying to watch DVD's through it but the DVD player puts lines on the picture on some of the DVD's (yes, I know that a DVD Rom would solve it but I would like to pass on that option). I know why the lines are there, but is there a way to get rid of them. Would hooking a DVD player up to an RF modulator and then to my PC be the right thing to do? Or will the modulator not work, and if not, then is there anything I can do?

Unregistered guest
I have a Emerson dvd EWD7003 hooked up to a Orion vcr VR313A hooked up to a Orion tv TV1325A.I can hear the dvd playing,but I keep getting a blue screen what's the problem with my connection?

Anonymous

Your problem is macrovision protection.
DVDplayer====>VCR - - - >TV
=== is macrovison protected signal it cause to VCR output very bad signal seen on your TV is only the blue screen. You have to filter it. Go this way http://www.xdimax.com I personally use it and am very satissfyed.

Rosey
Unregistered guest
I have a really old magnavox tv with no RCA inputs so i bought a RF Modulator so that i can connect my DVD and my Dish network together. I believe I set everything up alright but I still cannot play any DVD's. I'm not sure if it has to do with changing the INPUT. I don't have on option on my TV or the TV's remote to change the input but I do have an INPUT button on my Dish network remote, which I use as universal, but it's not doing anything. I tried all channels on my TV but I still can't get my DVD to work. Help please!

Rosey
Unregistered guest
I have a really old magnavox tv with no RCA inputs so i bought a RF Modulator so that i can connect my DVD and my Dish network together. I believe I set everything up alright but I still cannot play any DVD's. I'm not sure if it has to do with changing the INPUT. I don't have on option on my TV or the TV's remote to change the input but I do have an INPUT button on my Dish network remote, which I use as universal, but it's not doing anything. I tried all channels on my TV but I still can't get my DVD to work. Help please!

Unregistered guest
How do I hook up a Samsung DVD/VCR player to a Dish satellite receiver and a TV with only the "cable in" input on the back of the TV?

anabel
Unregistered guest
Our problem is that we have a 2004 Sony DVD player and we are hooking it up to a 1991 Sony TV. All necessary component hookups are available but the picture is a dark black and white. We have tested the new DVD on a more recent TV and the picture was perfect. So nothing is wrong with the DVD player. Any suggestions as to why the TV is not properly interpreting the signals from the DVD player?

Unregistered guest
Hi,I have a smiliar problem to Abarbie, I have an Apex DVD player but I'm in transition and in one of those extended stay hotels so the televisions [Magnovox] doesn't have any connections besides the cable connection. I can play my VCR [Orion], just fine, but can't get the DVD to work... I've also tried matching the input/output connectors.. by color yellow to yellow white to white, since I'm technologically challenged, and my Apex instructions are in storage someplace. I tried connecting with the VCR off/on, no picture nothing, I can hear the dvd in the player when I first put it in but no picture whatsoever. can someone please help??

Sabrina

Patricia
Unregistered guest
hello .. i just got a DVD player for x-mass and i cant get it to work ... i have all the plugs in the right places but nothing is working... i know its on b/c i can open and close it but thats all i can do ..what more can i do to fix this ..

Unregistered guest
Is it possible that the RCA XL100 can only have its input selection done thru the Remote (which I can't find)? No way to do it thru the buttons on the TV?
(Trying to use the VCR as an RFmodulator to a TV with no rca inputs, to play Xbox on it.)

thanks in advance //dave

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
If there are no RCA inputs, then there is no input selection. Set the VCR to line.

Unregistered guest
I am attempting to set up a system that will use a camcorder as a video camera, and send the signal to a projection unit so that a large group of people in another room can see the action. I have a camcorder hooked up to VCR using RCA cables from camcorder output to RCA input jacks, then connect this VCR to another VCR which is then connected to a projection unit
No signal is going through. Help please.

Unregistered guest
I came across something yesterday that I've never heard before with a DVD player. I bought my parents a new Zenith DVD player for Christmas. I hooked it up to their 19" RCA TV (an old model - early to mid 90s) along with an RF modulator because the TV did not have the inputs. Everything was working fine up until a week ago. Now the movies only play in black and white. I checked all the plugs, took them out and re-inserted them. I also checked the DVD settings menu and there was seemingly nothing there that could help. I called the Zenith customer service hotline and came up empty after having been on hold for twenty minutes. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
hey i have the same tv(RCA F26051Em). if you take the cable coming into the room(coxal)and run it into the in on the vcr then take another cable(coxal) and run from out on the vcr to ant in on the tv.and for the dvd player use the rf? colored cables from audio left right out and video out and run into the back of the tv. vcr will work on cannel 3 or 4 and dvd player will work on channel 91 which is av input.... good luck

Unregistered guest
i have an RCA RT 2600 home theatre system..i am trying to utilize the s video on my magnavox 27 stereo TV..not able to get that to work...thanks

Anonymous

im trying to connect my DVD player via the VCR to the TV but im getting anywhere. I have connected the audio and video RCA cables in to the Tv and the inputs on the VCR. Do have to connect a cable from the antenna to the TV? Please help im stuck!

Unregistered guest
I want to copy a dvd movie I have to a vhs tape so that I can take it with me to a friends house to watch on their vcr is there a way for me to do this?

Unregistered guest
I want to copy a dvd movie I have to a vhs tape so that I can take it with me to a friends house to watch on their vcr is there a way for me to do this?

Anonymous

Anybody got an answer for "Anonymous"? I'm in the same boat. im trying to connect my DVD player via the VCR to the TV. The VCR is working on it finally but what the heck with the DVD Player!!! :-)

JHPP
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung C647P DVD/CD player, and a Sony KVX2931S Triniton TV. The DVD player is connected to the TV through a Samsung VCR. I don't have the original remote for the TV; I have a universal. When I set the video to Line it gets the signal from the DVD, but when I put a disc in, it tells me that the disc cannot be played; check the TV system. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

JHPP
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung C647P DVD/CD player, and a Sony KVX2931S Triniton TV. The DVD player is connected to the TV through a Samsung VCR. I don't have the original remote for the TV; I have a universal. When I set the video to Line it gets the signal from the DVD, but when I put a disc in, it tells me that the disc cannot be played; check the TV system. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 731
In most cases a DVD player won't work through a VCR because of the copyguard on the DVDs. Connect with an s-video cable or RCA jacks straight to the TV. If your TV doesn't have those inputs you need an RF modulator.

happylady88
Unregistered guest
Thank you to all who have posted suggestions. I spent an entire weekend trying to connect my DVD player, vcr and t.v. I was fairly lost and very frustrated, until reading your posts. Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a 1986 emerson tv and a 2005 klh dvd player and I am wondering what rf modulator I should buy.

Anonymous

I have a cyberhome dvd player which was playing dvds well.suddenly is playing only vcds.It does not recognise dvd at all.earlier I coonnected it via a vcr. but mow even if I connect it to tv direct also it does not play what might be the reason.

Anonymous

I have a cyberhome dvd player which was playing dvds well.suddenly is playing only vcds.It does not recognise dvd at all.earlier I coonnected it via a vcr. but mow even if I connect it to tv direct also it does not play what might be the reason.

Apodio
Unregistered guest
The remote for my 1987 model RCA Dimensia is long kaput, and only one of its two coaxle in-connections works. Nevertheless, the picture and sound are both like new. I connected a new Philips DVP 642 to it, using an RF modulator, and get good video. Although the RCA audio cables (white and red) are accommodated by audio in-jacks on the TV, I get no sound. Anyone know why?

Silver Member

Post Number: 976
The audio has to go through the modulator too. You can't use a coax input and a line input at the same time, it's one or the other. If you have audio in jacks there should be a video in too, which is what you should be using. Are you sure those aren't audio out jacks?

Unregistered guest
I have just puchased a RCA XL100 from a friend's estate sale. It was reportedly working just fine. Today I bought a DVD player and hooked it up to all the right inputs/outputs, (yellow to yellow, red to red and white to white. Turned on the TV and DVD (with a disc installed), the result - blank screen and hiss. Can anyone help please and thank you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
Did you set the TV on auxilary/line? There should be an input/TV video button somewhere.

Apodio
Unregistered guest
Thanks for responding, David. I followed the instructions that came with the DVD player and the modulator: yes, the yellow RCA line connects the modulator to the TV. The red and white audio lines connect the DVD player to the TV. And yes, the audio jacks on the TV are labeled as audio in-jacks, and the yellow video in-jack is labeled as well. The cable service coaxial is connected to the modulator and then to the TV. Still a mystery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
If it has a video in jack, then that's what you should be using. You don't need the modulator. Some RCA TVs have the line input somewhere between channel 90-105. Connect the yellow straight to the TV and try all the channels between 90-105.

Apodio
Unregistered guest
David, thanks again. You're right--the set uses channel 91. Only one problem remains, then. Since the remote is broken, I can't punch in numbers. The button on the set won't present numbers beyond 68. The RCA Dimensia TV, I recall, can be operated only by the remote that came with it. Is that true? Or is there a way to use a universal remote with this TV?

Jono
Unregistered guest
You guys look as though you know your stuff! So here is my problem...

...I just bought 5 DVD Players off Ebay for $15!!! =)
Oh...by the way, they were faulty customer returns.
I was testing them out and 2 of them work, but they still have problems.

The 1st is a Digitrex Gk - 2700 , the sound is fine but the picture has a 'horizontal hold', with 3 to 3 1/2 pictures, I was wondering whether this is fixable, or I should just use the DVD player for parts...?

The 2nd is a Omni DV - 3400 , the picture seems to be excellent on the start - up screen, but it can't read discs...can I fix this, or again, should I just use it for parts.

Jono

Unregistered guest
I have an old RCA F25654BC that's currently hooked up to a VCR through the coaxial cable. The yellow video input jack seems to have something broken off in it and there is no S-Video connection. Can I hook up a DVD to the VCR?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
You can, but you'll probably have problems with the copyguard on the tapes. If you're lucky it will work. I'd try to use the video jack, see if you can get out whatever is stuck in it.

Apodio
Unregistered guest
The manual for my RCA Dimensia says that it can be controlled only by the Dimensia remote, not any other kind. The remote is broken, but I have to punch numbers in. What to do?

Unregistered guest
Not likely on removing the broken plug. How about one of them RF modulators?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
An RF modulator will work, but you'll be sacrificing alot of picture quality.

Jeanine
Unregistered guest
When my dvd movie plays, there's a LOUD static hiss in the backround during the menu screen, and in very colorful scenes in the movie.
Any ideas?

Jono
Unregistered guest
Jeanine read this below...

...I just bought 5 DVD Players off Ebay for $15!!! =)
Oh...by the way, they were faulty customer returns.
I was testing them out and 2 of them work, but they still have problems.

The 1st is a Digitrex Gk - 2700 , the sound is fine but the picture has a 'horizontal hold', with 3 to 3 1/2 pictures, I was wondering whether this is fixable, or I should just use the DVD player for parts...?

The 2nd is a Omni DV - 3400 , the picture seems to be excellent on the start - up screen, but it can't read discs...can I fix this, or again, should I just use it for parts.

Jono

Snuepe
Unregistered guest
I lost my remote to my Orion VCR. So how do work my timer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1113
Buy a universal remote. You're best bet is a One For All.

Anonymous

how do i get a dvd player to work through a vcr onto a tv when my tv doesnt have those red white and yellow connectors

Unregistered guest
We just switched from cable to Dish & have 2 a TV capable set up. The big TV works fine but the old Toshiba CX2010C "Blackstripe" TV dosen't seem to pick up the siginal. The Dish remote will turn on the Toshiba & thats all. I have hooked up another small TV to the same output & it works fine..... The Toshiba works great on antenna or cable. Any ideas?

pasakepa
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Magnavox DVD Player Model # MDV45617 How do I hook it up to a Samsung TV? There isn't an owners manual

Gold Member

Post Number: 1172
If the TV and DVD player have the triple component jacks, use them, if not use an s-video cable, if the TV doesn't have either of those use RCA jacks. If you use component or s-video, you have to use RCA jacks for audio too.

Username: Jstergis

I would just like to clarify something for all of you...THE DVD PLAYER CAN NOT FO IN THROUGH THE VCR BECAUSE OF COPYRIGHT PROTECTION If you hook it up to the tv, then you have to go to the VIDEO channel...which is usually V1, V2, Video1, Video, 3, or 0. On a Zenith that I have you have to go into the tv menus and change the input frim ANT/CABLE to VIDEO. You can buy a part to go in through the VCR, or you can buy a 20$ coaxil to RCA converter which usually has SVIDEO and many other ports on the box that plugs into the coaxil also.

Hope that this helps

Anonymous

I have a Orion VCR and T.V. and an Digix media DVD player, I need to record something on the VCR from the DVD player, but I do not know how to do it. Can you please help me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1298
You can't copy DVDs unless they are home recordings. Retail DVDs are copy protected.

Unregistered guest
i got a ewr20v4 i just got the firmware update no instuctions imgine that lol but i called the number 2 times so far waited 45 mins 2 times anyone ever put it in what the hell you got to do??

Unregistered guest
i need some help how do i install the firmware updat for the ewr20v4 help???

Username: Tonybb

Warsaw, In Fghdhd

hi
I have a rca widescreen tv hookup to a Dirctv, dvd recorder. So ho do I throw a vcr and a dvd player in the mix.
I have a dimax stabilizer redy to hook up.
I want to play the vcr without changing to channel 03. Everything else is hookup to channel 90. can anyone help me???

Unregistered guest
I just purchased 2 iLo dvd recorders and have one hooked up to an older tv using an RF modulator and one to a newer tv. Both are working fine for recording from the tv or playing dvd's. I have quite a few vcr tapes that I would like to copy to dvd, but I can't figure out how to hook them up correctly. I hope some one can give me some easy directions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1632
Connect RCA cables fron the VCR out to one of the inputs on the DVD recorder, use a back input, ILO/Lite On recorders have problems with the front input. Then set the recorder on whatever input you used. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels till you get to the right one.

Grandma
Unregistered guest
To: David Massey...Thank you! I was making it difficult. I have one more question. Is it possible to copy at a faster speed than regular play and record to the dvd player?

Thanks again

Gold Member

Post Number: 1634
No, DVD recorders record in real time, can't do anything about that.

Unregistered guest
I have a new bottom of the line Sony DVD player ($79.) There's weird colour distortion with a View Sonic LCD TV connected with YCbCr cables + red and white audio and atrocious static mainly when onscreen is quiet too. Should I return the DVD player as defective or is this a setup/programming problem?

Username: Mel1

Wellington, FL USA

I just got a new 37" Sharp Aquos LCD and will be using a cable card. What will by VCR connection be? I also have a receiver that the VCR will connect to. On my old Sony the VCR powered everything (5 speakers). I will also be adding a DVD player and from what I've read, it should go to the TV not the VCR, correct? Will I get the same sound quality? My DVD can also control the speakers but I am getting too confused.

fisty
Unregistered guest
while trying to tune in a multi purpose remote for my dvd, the tv presented 'PSS off', then i lost the picture though i still have sound while playing a dvd. what does PSS stand for and how do i switch it back on?

Terri
Unregistered guest
Ok, here I go. I have a Symphonic tv, an Orion vcr and a Sony dvd player in my bedroom which I have tried hooking up without a RF modulator. The reason I have tried this is because at one time we had a Emerson dvd hooked up to an Orion vcr to a Sanyo tv in the livingroom which worked fine without an RF modulator and I figured it would also work in this combo, but try as I may it won't work, so what am I doing wrong this time? I hooked it up exactly as I did previously with the other combo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because my brain is totally racked now. Thanks for any help!

Unregistered guest
I have an RCR tube tv and when I hook up my standard Magavox dvd player the cords are not working properly when I put in the video cord everything is fine, when I put in the white there is a loud buzzing and the picture is rolling the same goes for the red even when I take out the white. I dont have a manuel for the dvd so dont know what to do. Do I need to buy new cords or is there something that I can do to save the money? Please reply ASAP at shalissa@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
I have an RCR tube tv and when I hook up my standard Magavox dvd player the cords are not working properly when I put in the video cord everything is fine, when I put in the white there is a loud buzzing and the picture is rolling the same goes for the red even when I take out the white. I dont have a manuel for the dvd so dont know what to do. Do I need to buy new cords or is there something that I can do to save the money? Please reply ASAP at shalissa@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
I have a sharp tv - samsung dvd-vcr combo-and a dish satalite system. I have no idea(and no instructions) on hooking this system together. The tv is a enhanced digital version and the dish system is the newer interactive model, can you give me a (a,b,c) list of cableing this up?
thanks, joncjon

Unregistered guest
Got dvd recorder, dvd player, freeview box, video player and tv, all have 2 scart sockets at back except dvd player (ronin). I'd just like it all connected up so I can record either tv, freeview or video tapes onto the dvd recorder. Note I have ntl cable. Also lots of yellow, white red leads along with red & white. I have rung the helpline ( co-op, who sell the Cello dvd recorder) without much progress. I'm a bit new to this stuff but any help would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I have a older symphonic Tv and I am trying to connect to an older Emerson DVD player. I worked fine on another TV that ha s-video connections but I am not able to connect it to this older symphonic TV. I bought an RF modulator but I am not able to get a picture or video to to work. Please help!!!!

Unregistered guest
I have a new RCA DVD player hooked up to my VCR which is hooked up to the TV. It plays fine for a few moments then the color begins to change a little and then some horizontal distortion appears and increases until it goes blank blue. Then the whole process starts over again. It happens continuously in cycles of about 1 minute. We had the same problem with our previous DVD player but not the one before that. Could it be the VCR, TV or connection method? I'm using the red/yellow/white hookups provided with the player. Please email reply. Thanks.

Anonymous

I have an rca scenium tv with a built-in dvd player. It is connected to an rca rt2600 home theater and at one time it worked with the dvds. But now to play a dvd we have use the internal tv speakers. Please help!

Username: Guesswhat611

I need the correct way to hook emerson dvd/vcr, rca dss satelite, and a phillips/magnavox tv, so I can watch satlitte program, while recording local tv station. I have an antena, so I get local channels.

Username: Guesswhat611

I need the correct way to hook emerson dvd/vcr, rca dss satelite, and a phillips/magnavox tv, so I can watch satlitte program, while recording local tv station. I have an antena, so I get local channels.

Unregistered guest
I have a RCA XL-100 model FLR460WR. I recentally moved how do I re-set the channels?

Username: Mailman26301

I bought a DVD/Recorder (Liteon LVW-5104) and am trying to hook it up to a present DVD/VCR. I have a cable box, a one year old TV. How do I hook both the DVD/VCR and the DVD Recorder, so they word independent of each other?

thornberry
Unregistered guest
I HAVE A 1985 RCA CONSOLE TV WHICH HAS ONLY ONE COAX IPUT, I WOULD LIKE TO HOOK OUR SATELLITE,VCR AND DVD PLAYER TO THE TV HOW IN THE WOURLD DO I ACHIEVE THIS

Unregistered guest
Friends, PLEASE help me to make my Combo DVD/VCR
code free ! PV-D4744S-K
Thank you and Have a Very Happy New Year 2006 !

andrew

Anonymous

Please help. I have a 3 year old Zenith TV, an older model Zenith VCR and a new progressive scan dvd player. They are connected through an a/v switcher, but when I go to play a dvd, nothing.

Anonymous

Please help. I have a 3 year old Zenith TV, an older model Zenith VCR and a new progressive scan dvd player. They are connected through an a/v switcher, but when I go to play a dvd, nothing.

Anonymous

Unregistered guest
Christmas Problems: Newer JVC TV (w/ PIP and TV Plus) and JVC VCR....they worked fine with one another...until we get the Panasonic DVD. Now I can get the TV and DVD player to work (actually w/ several different connection arrangements!) but cannot get the VCR to work at all. Suggestions?

Username: Cart1405

I have an old TV( only has coax input). I'm trying to hookup satellite box, VCR and DVD. I have a RF modulator if that helps.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

fllfla
Unregistered guest
Can I hook up a CD player through my vcr? Do I have to have a receiver and speakers to hook up a cd player?

Unregistered guest
Here's the background:we have a 1991 mitsubishi tv;we have dishnetwork;this tv is the remote tv and we're told is has to be tuned to channel 60;the tech who installed the system couldn't get the tv to change channels with the Dish remote,tried to change channels manually, wouldn't work, and the original remote is long gone. I fooled around with the Dish remote after he left and voila, we got a great picture. We also bought a replacement remote which is said to replace the original one. Now my son-in-law hooked up the dvd to it, with no problem. However, when we tried to change channels back to TV mode, nothing worked. The replacement remote controls power,mute,volume but we get nothing but snow and rushing. We've unhooked the dvd, unplugged the tv overnight, powered it back up, but no change. Does anyone know what the heck to do?

Unregistered guest
Here's the background:we have a 1991 mitsubishi tv;we have Dishnetwork;this tv is the remote tv and we're told it has to be tuned to channel 60;the tech who installed the system couldn't get the tv to change channels with the Dish remote,tried to change channels manually, wouldn't work, and the original remote is long gone. I fooled around with the Dish remote after he left and voila, we got a great picture. We also bought a replacement remote which is said to replace the original one. Now my son-in-law hooked up a Toshiba dvd to it, with no problem. However, when we tried to change channels back to TV mode, nothing worked. The replacement remote controls power,mute,volume but we get nothing but snow and rushing. We've unhooked the dvd, unplugged the tv overnight, powered it back up, but no change.We've checked the settings on the nearby TV and they're fine. Does anyone know what the heck to do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2161
If it's on antenna, change to cable, if it's on cable, change to antenna.

Username: Peter56

Post Number: 4
S video to vcr

When hooking up components with wires it's important to understand what each wire is moving. It would be easier if corporations would stop changing the names of wires but here goes.

RF cable: 1, 75 ohm coax cable caries both video and audio.

Composite: (all together) composite is putting video on 1 RCA wire. So you get three RCA wires to move a signal. 1 video, 1 left audio, and 1 right audio.

Component: (red green blue (RBG) each separate) 3 RCA cables for video. 5 RCA cable total. 3 for video and 2 for audio.

S video: A single 5 pin DIN mini cable caries the video. Internally the video is split into two separate parts making s video better than RF cable and compost yet worse than component.

So to hook a DVD player that has only S video outputs to a VCR than has only composite video inputs the solution is this. Purchase a S video to RCA wire adapter wire

A S video to RCA wire is available here for $12.95 plus shipping.
http://www.s-video.com/svideorca.html

A RF modulator takes an output such as the S video output from a DVD player and converts it into a RF cable signal also known as a 75 ohm coax cable. So if you have your cable TV service connected to the RF input on your VCR then that input is unavailable. If on the other hand, one wants to connect a DVD player directly to a old style TV then a RF modulator is the way to go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?guideID=1043363787291&categoryRep=cat030 00&type=page&cmp=&id=cat12077

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aadvdrfmoda.htm

Username: Kdhtime

Post Number: 3
I only have two component connections on my LCD TV. Is there some type of adapter I can use so I can hook up my VCR, DVD, and Playstation 3 (when it comes out)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2247
A VCR doesn't have component outputs. If you mean composite connections, use a video switcher.

Username: Kdhtime

Post Number: 4
I forgot about the VCR, but I did mean component connections for DVD, Playstation 3 and soon I will have HD cable installed which uses component. Is there a switcher for component connections?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2248
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005USA7

Anonymous

Hi,
David,
I have a 32" magnavox Tv very new and Ihave symphonic dvd player and a signature vcr.
now iam using a digital cable with a box.i purchased red/white/yellow cables 6 of them.
i want connect all of these so i can play vcr or dvd could you help me how should i connect them.
thank you for your help.

Username: Cind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo model #MDV560VR/17 and the buttons on the DVD player do not respond on the front of the machine. It does however work with the remote control. It has a child lock feature on this unit but I have it turned off and the buttons still do not respond on the unit itself. Does anyone know what I have to do to get them to work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2397
Connect the VCR to the box with RCAs and set the VCR to line. Connect the box to the TV with coax if you want to be able to watch the box without the VCR on. Connect the VCR to the TV with RCAs. Connect the DVD to the TV with, in order of preference, component cables, s-video, RCAs. If using component or s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.

Anonymous

David,
Thanks for your info above. You sid connect the Vcr to the box with RCA,s. my Vcr has only 2 holes white and yellow. box has 3 red/white/yellow. Iam not sure how could i conenct it.do i need any other kind of wire or something else.back of the box 3 colour holes .
i need little more detail.could you tell me connection from box to vcr and vcr to tv you said
dvd to tv. you can not connect both vcr and dvd same time to tv is that correct?
I dont know nothing about connections.explain what goes where like video and audio in/out.
Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2402
As long as the TV has 2 sets of inputs, the VCR and DVD can be connected at the same time. You can just use coax from the box to the VCR, the audio and video won't be as good. If you want to use RCAs, get a y-cable. A HiFi VCR would be preferable, the audio is far better and would be in stereo instead of mono.

Unregistered guest
i'm trying to record/make dvd's (gateway ar-230 dvd recorder) from my vcr tapes (toshiba vcr/dvd combo) but it only records what's on the tv not what's already on the tapes what's wrong? please help!!!!!!!

Username: Nir

Need help, please...
Have an old Emerson TV, no original remote control. Connected a DVD to the A/V jacks at the front of TV. Cannot change the "input selection" since I don't have the original remote. Any idea how this can be done without the remote?
Thanks,
Nir.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2452
Go through the channels and see if you can get there that way. If not, buy a One For All universal remote, the TV/VID button should change it to auxillary.

Username: Rfernando

Hi all,

Connected dvd via scart lead to a philips tv (tv about 10 years old) and find that the picture is scrolling from left to right across the sceeen.
What could be wrong and can it be corrected ?

thanks
Robert Fernando

Username: Healthyme

Hello,
I have one of those apparently popular-in-their-day RCA XL 100 TV's with only the cable input in the back.
I want to connect it to an APEX DVD player someone gave me when the DVD portion of my Broksonic TV DVD VCR stopped working after about a month.
I just want to watch DVD's in my bedroom. I don't have the CableTV "activated" in that room. So, am I just out of luck? I was thinking of getting a RF modulator to make the connection between the TV and DVD player.
I read all the messages that had my kind of old TV but I couldn't tell if I could just connect it with the RF thing and the DVD player if I didn't have an active cable connection.
Or would I be better off trying to troubleshoot the DVD portion of the Broksonic TV/DVD/VCR. I have a limited fixed income - don't we all?:-) - so an economical solution would be the very best. Thank You.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2568
An RF modulator will work fine. You don't need cable.

Username: Healthyme

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us