HDMI to component video?

Username: Brianmu

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 1
I have an older Mitsubishi WS48311 HD tv that was made and sold before HDMI and DVI inputs were established. It has firewire but not HDMI or DVI. My question: If I were to get a HD DVD player (in the future) and all it has that it will output HD resolution over is HDMI, is there any way to get the HD signal over the component video cables?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 899
The price paid by early adopters seems high sometimes:

"As we mentioned, the Blu-ray group has yet to determine whether to allow the players to pass high-definition video via analog component-video outputs in addition to digital HDMI. Hollywood studios are loathe to allow HD via component because they perceive the analog output as a copy-protection loophole that might be exploited by pirates. HD-DVD has already announced that its units would not pass analog HD resolutions, instead downconverting all analog outputs to standard-def. We hope Blu-ray allows HD to pass via component, since it would allow people who own HDTVs that don't have HDMI or DVI/HDCP inputs to enjoy the new format, but we're not optimistic."

http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6411878.html?tag=txt

"If I were to get a HD DVD player (in the future) and all it has that it will output HD resolution over is HDMI, is there any way to get the HD signal over the component video cables?"

To my knowledge, the answer is no. If it were that easy, then why are program producers insisting on no HD content via component on the blue laser formats?

It might be easier to install an HDMI, or in this case DVI, input on your old TV.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/787464/a n/0/page/0#Post787464

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 900
BTW Brian,
I just received the latest The Perfect Vision magazine (May/June '06). In it Scott Wilkinson covers part of the CES2006 show, secifically the latest in the Blu-Ray Disc / HD DVD war, which will be a "fight to the death", apparently.

"My greatest concern is whether or not the new players will send full high-definition signals from their component outputs. If they don't, all those early adopters who bought HDTVs without HDMI or DVI/HDCP inputs will only be able to send downconverted 480p to their displays, forcing them to miss out on the full resolution of the new formats.

According to a spokesman for the HD DVD Promotion Group, the decision to allow or deny high-def from the component output will be left to each content provider; they can choose to throw a software switch (called the Image Constraint Token, or ICT) on each title. The Blu-ray camp was not forthcoming on this point; whenever I asked anyone about it, I was told it had not yet been finalized, though I suspect it will be up to the content providers on a per-title basis. (After the show, I learned that the Sony-controlled stufios, along with Disney, Paramount, and Fox, will not implement ICT, at least for now, allowing HD from the component outputs.) I understand the need to protect their content, but it would certainly behoove the studios not to disenfranchise early HDTV adopters if they want strong initial sales."

Maybe in this case, a two-format competition may be good. If one side permits hi-def component output, the other side must surely follow.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 80
All the initial releases on both high definition formats are to be released without the ICT enabled. Studios will make a future determination as to whether or not this continues to be in their best interest or not.

xvxvxvx

Username: Brianmu

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 2
Thank you, John S, for the link to Craigr. I have already emailed him and expressed an interest in his development. Funny thing is, about a year ago, I called Mitsubishi and asked about a HDMI upgrade for the television. They had absolutely zero interest in making one and in fact, told me it could NOT be done. Something about not compatible with the TV's internal computer.
About the ICT... call me a cynic, but I have NO faith in the studios to allow HD over component. OF COURSE they are going to think it in their best interest to keep it over HDMI. If it were not, would there be such a big demand by them to keep it to HDMI?? no, there would not.

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 84
Brian,

I understand your lack of confidence in the studios. However it is their property and I personally have no problem with them doing anything necessary to stop unlawful copies (this includes what some people like to amusingly call "fair use" which is usually only thier way to not call stealing what it really is).

All that said it is indeed true that all the HD titles released so far do not have the ICT token invoked. So at the very least these copies will play fine through component connections forever. As I wrote above the studios may change their mind in the future. In fact they likely will when the new technology has reached "critical mass".

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us