Dvd to dvd recording problem

Username: Khcpopi

Post Number: 1
I bought Toshiba DR4, taiyo yuden 4xdvd-r and Sima 100. With a copy protected movie, I tried recording from about 5 years old Sony dvd player to the Toshiba recorder. The recorder's display showed recording (red light and counters ticking) but stopped about a third way through the disk and gave a message that the disk is defective. I tried again and this time the disk was used about half of first try and stopped with a same message.
I found a post in Afterdawn that dvd player to dvd recorder may not work because of some frequency differences, except when recorder has a hard drive. But, in this site, I find many postings that sound as if dvd to dvd recording is possible with stand-alone machines.
What is the answer? Did I waste money or do I need new disks? Sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to be detailed. Thank you all in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2515
Those 4x TY discs are gone, they can be 8x or 16x. Some standalones don't like 16x discs. If you have a PC burner, you can get the media code and find out what speed the discs are. The recorder may be defective, same with the Sima.

Username: Khcpopi

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your reply. I can record fine from dvd player to vhs using Sima 100. The kids don't really care, although I wanted them the dvd clarity. The dvd recorder was bought from "wegotgreatdeals.com" on e-bay. It was refurbished and there is no refund. I won't buy electronics from e-bay again. Disks are from Supermediastore. I assume they will not sell 16x as 4x. I will try to find out the disk speed. Again, thank you for your help. What I wrote here is really for the benefit of anyone thinking of doing the same. If I want to follow up, I'd go for pc burner.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2535
They do sell 16x discs as 4x. TY quit making 4x discs around 1 1/2 years ago, I doubt there are any left. They are B grade 8x or 16x discs. The discs are still fine, I've had 4 bad ones out of over 2000. 16x discs may not work in a standalone. Before you give up on the recorder, try some different discs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us